Exchange program =/= Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUatthefinishline

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify if I should list this when schools ask about my activity in study abroad stuff. I participated in a student exchange program for one semester between my own undergrad and a much more distinguished one in the northeast. I've had some people call it a "study inbroad" or whatever, which sounds weird to me. Others have said it counts because I left the university and an entire part of the country for a period of time (I studied in the south). But I have also had some people say I shouldn't bring it up unless asked.

So I just wanted to know what the general consensus is about it. What should I say when asked if I have participated in a study abroad program?

I was going to just talk about it in a little blurb underneath a question about studying abroad, but didn't want it to seem out of place or ignorant on my part.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting and unusual question. Was the exchange program formalized to be between two US schools? Did it count as being temporarily enrolled in that school? Could that school give you a separate transcript if you asked?

I just wanted to clarify if I should list this when schools ask about my activity in study abroad stuff. I participated in a student exchange program for one semester between my own undergrad and a much more distinguished one in the northeast. I've had some people call it a "study inbroad" or whatever, which sounds weird to me. Others have said it counts because I left the university and an entire part of the country for a period of time (I studied in the south). But I have also had some people say I shouldn't bring it up unless asked.

So I just wanted to know what the general consensus is about it. What should I say when asked if I have participated in a study abroad program?

I was going to just talk about it in a little blurb underneath a question about studying abroad, but didn't want it to seem out of place or ignorant on my part.
You did not go abroad. It was not a study abroad program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting and unusual question. Was the exchange program formalized to be between two US schools? Did it count as being temporarily enrolled in that school? Could that school give you a separate transcript if you asked?

Yes, it had a formal application process. I was enrolled at the other school for a semester, and have an official transcript from them.

Last edited:
You did not go abroad. It was not a study abroad program.

I'll take that as "You should select no when asked in a secondary". If so, how do you think I should bring it up later? Or just mention it when asked?

I'll take that as "You should select no when asked in a secondary". If so, how do you think I should bring it up later? Or just mention it when asked?
Bring it up if it's relevant to something you're discussing or something you're asked. Don't try to force it into a conversation or response where it doesn't belong.