Exercise greatly improves my mcat studying.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

After having surgery and being unable to hit the gym my studying really, really slacked for around two weeks. Now that im finally back in the gym my studying has improved a lot. Going to the gym seems to help improve my focus..Anyone else agree?

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree. When I studied for the MCAT I went for a jog every other day and it improved my mood and concentration substantially. I'm not sure what effect exercise has on the brain exactly but it certainly made me feel more proactive and good about myself.

After having surgery and being unable to hit the gym my studying really, really slacked for around two weeks. Now that im finally back in the gym my studying has improved a lot. Going to the gym seems to help improve my focus..Anyone else agree?

I only recently started working out again and it seems to be helping me. Going to try and squeeze in more gym time over the next 3 weeks. MCAT on April 5!

Well, being an exercise science major they used to drill into our heads that exercise fights apathetic feelings and depression. I guess they were right, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, being an exercise science major they used to drill into our heads that exercise fights apathetic feelings and depression. I guess they were right, lol.

Finally, another exercise science major. We're the minority! Everywhere I go, I see bio majors. I think the majority of exercise science majors end up doing Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, or become a coach (that was my original plan).

I recently started exercising only because sometimes the stress would get to me, and I figured this would a be a healthy way to de-stress my self. I used to workout like crazy in high school, and in college I stopped, and now I am starting again, trying to lift and run at-least 2-3 times a weak. Just like you I've noticed my concentration improve on weeks where exercised.

Definitely! Jogging around was one of the few moments I could completely let go and forget about the test, it helped a lot both psychologically and physically.

I feel this way too.

I studied a lot better and had better time management when I was working out more regularly. I was also injured and just had some treatment for that injury. Hoping to start back up in a few weeks.

Honestly, I sleep better, feel more awake, and function better when I'm working out. I'm really looking forward to doing that again.

Instead, I've been going out dancing a few times a week. It's been a blast, but the EtOH kinda negates any positives from the cardio there ;)

I totally agree. When I studied for the MCAT I went for a jog every other day and it improved my mood and concentration substantially. I'm not sure what effect exercise has on the brain exactly but it certainly made me feel more proactive and good about myself.

It's been shown that exercise increases the number of adult-born neurons in the hippocampus of mice and rats. While scientists haven't agreed on the exact function of adult neurogenesis, it's still a nice thing to think about. I'd rather know running gave me more neurons than take them away.

It's been shown that exercise increases the number of adult-born neurons in the hippocampus of mice and rats. While scientists haven't agreed on the exact function of adult neurogenesis, it's still a nice thing to think about. I'd rather know running gave me more neurons than take them away.

yeah common misconceptions that exercise leads to neurogenesis in humans. It doesn't multiple studies have shown that humans display no (0) signs of neurogenesis.

i believe the explanation you're looking for is an increase in neurotrophic factors such as BDNF

BDNF is a mediator of adult neurogenesis, and yes, it has been shown to also increase during/after exercise.

Stress blunts neurogenesis in granule cells belonging to the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus. However, exercise, when voluntary, can enhance the survival of these hippocampal cells whereas forced exercise can have an inhibitory effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19156854

It's also been shown that hippocampal volume (not necessarily newborn neuron #) increases after voluntary exercise.

Not only can exercise increase cell #, but it's been shown to alter neuronal morphology by, for example, increasing dendritic arborization.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20887683

Yeah, I was talking about rodents. Yeah, sometimes rodent studies don't translate to humans. But there is a definite relationship between exercise and adult NG, even if it's not as clear-cut as we'd like to think it is.

BDNF is a mediator of adult neurogenesis, and yes, it has been shown to also increase during/after exercise.

Stress blunts neurogenesis in granule cells belonging to the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus. However, exercise, when voluntary, can enhance the survival of these hippocampal cells whereas forced exercise can have an inhibitory effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19156854

It's also been shown that hippocampal volume (not necessarily newborn neuron #) increases after voluntary exercise.

Not only can exercise increase cell #, but it's been shown to alter neuronal morphology by, for example, increasing dendritic arborization.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20887683

Yeah, I was talking about rodents. Yeah, sometimes rodent studies don't translate to humans. But there is a definite relationship between exercise and adult NG, even if it's not as clear-cut as we'd like to think it is.

yea all im saying is adult neurogenesis is a phenomenon mainly seen in rodents

all the effects you've listed are well known corollaries to increasing BDNF levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2755651/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2348185/

maybe all this Rusty Gage adult NG rage needs to calm down take a step back and re-evaluate the process (btw his 2011 paper on the functionality of these newly born neurons is crazzzzyy http://www.cell.com/neuron/retrieve/pii/S0896627311003916)

but now that were on the topic of the HIPPOCAMPUS :)D) are you currently working in a lab that studies exercise and its role in adult NG?

My schedule is pretty easy this semester while I'm studying for the MCAT but I do yoga and lift 4 times a week now and I am much less stressed about the MCAT than I was. But it's important to take it easy or take a week completely off every 3-4 weeks or else your body will get burned out. This applies more to people doing heavy lifting 3-4 days a week, but should probably carry over to some degree to less stressful exercise.