Exercise in Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCtrainer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sorry, this might be a silly question, but I was wondering how many of you in Med School actually follow a steady exercise program?? I plan on going to med school in the fall of 2006 and I was just wondering if hoping to keep my workout program through med school is just a dream, or if I should just prepare for the fast-food/marathon study sessions and hope not to get too fat (which is easy for me :oops: ) any input would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

USCtrainer said:
Hey guys,
I'm sorry, this might be a silly question, but I was wondering how many of you in Med School actually follow a steady exercise program?? I plan on going to med school in the fall of 2006 and I was just wondering if hoping to keep my workout program through med school is just a dream, or if I should just prepare for the fast-food/marathon study sessions and hope not to get too fat (which is easy for me :oops: ) any input would be appreciated...

At UNECOM, they have a GYM and POOL about 150-200feet (building next door) from where Medical Students take their clases. So yes you can go and work out all year round. Let off stress and take your mind off things.

The other good thing about UNECOM is that fast food places are far from the University and even then they are few. It is still available, but not as easily as most places.

i'm going to AZCOM in august, and although i have not yet started, i fully intend to keep up my training routine. i race bicycles professionally and train hard, and will absolutely find a way to do it, and still do well in medical school. i finished a graduate program at Thomas Jeffeson medical school and despite the academic competition, still managed to train and compete and graduate at the top of the class. if it's your desire, you'll find a way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think, as with anything, it's all about what you make time for. For alot of people exercise is not something they want to spend time on, especially when they have such a rigorous school schedule. However, I don't think it's impossible to continue a reasonable workout routine. You may not be able to prepare for the next fitness competition, but you should be able to stay in shape. I'm the same as you (gain weight easily) and am currently losing weight and integrating a more permanent workout routine into my life. I don't want that to stop next year, just because I'm in school. It's important to me to stay fit and maintain a more appropriate weight, so I plan on continuing my efforts towards health regardless of my school schedule.

USCtrainer said:
Hey guys,

I work out every single day. I spend about an 1-1.5 hrs./day working out. It is a great way for me to remain sane and at least try to stay a little healthy. You just have to make time for it. Some people get up very early in the morning to work out, while others (like myself) work out after class and stay up a little later studying. If you are committed to it you can do it.

It's very do-able to work out regularly. In fact, I think it's necessary to keep yourself in shape if you want to be a good student Med school can swallow up the rest of your life if you let it, but it can also be a great time in your life if you keep your priorities straight.

I really appreciate the responses, it's more of what I was hoping to hear. I guess I've just heard too many horror stories of having no life and time to do anything but study. As it stands now though, I think I tend to agree with Khenon the most, I'll have to tone it down a bit, maybe one more show before med school and just train for "overall health and fitness" from then on :laugh:

Thanks again...

for what its worth, the vanderbilt gym is always packed with med students. Ive talked to a few of them who said they get to work out every day, except for exam days... i also know of a med student here who races bikes semi-professionally, so anything is possible if its important to you....

I agree with some of the OPs comments. Its all about managing your time wisely. You may have to forgo watching a tv show or seeing a film every week but in the end I dont think that it would cut into time necessary to study. Besides we all know that exercise is a great stress reliever and helps better oxygen circulation, so it may actually add as a study booster :thumbup:

vegangirl said:
I agree with some of the OPs comments. Its all about managing your time wisely. You may have to forgo watching a tv show or seeing a film every week but in the end I dont think that it would cut into time necessary to study. Besides we all know that exercise is a great stress reliever and helps better oxygen circulation, so it may actually add as a study booster :thumbup:

for Pharmacy school here but,
i'm starting to hike/backpack to stay in shape [on weekends]

USCtrainer said:
Hey guys,

not a silly question...exercise is no joke! :laugh: i really have no business replying because i haven't even started school....but i couldn't resist.

i sort of consider myself to be an Exercise Physiologist (although i am not a PhD). my undergrad is in exercise science and so is my graduate degree. i am certified by the NSCA as a CSCS. so i like to stay in shape. I WILL UNDOUBTEDLY EXERCISE IN MEDICAL SCHOOL.

however, academics are more important to me at this point in my life. so of course when studying becomes very intense i might not exercise for a week or two...but who cares if you are in shape. i am not competing for mr. olympia...i just want to look good and be healthy.

medical students are doing something wrong if they cannot fit the recommended minimal exercise guidelines into their lives. :(

You can definitely keep your exercise schedule intact. That said there are going to be times when it will be triaged in order to deal with preceptorships, 4 exams, and an OMM practicle the day before your first "real patient" full H&P . You will have to sacrifice lots of your favorite things on occassion in order to get by let alone to do well. I still find time to skate ski and bike with decent regularity, but I can promise you that you will not have the time to maintain a professional athletes training regime. I wish I still had 4 to 6 hours per day to ride my bike, but I don't. Regardless, good time management skills are a must if you want the time to do anything and PASS your classes. best of luck. :luck:

I worked out consistently during my undergrad years....even while stuying for the MCAT. I used to get lower back pain after sitting down for so long, and going to the gym everyday for an hour was the best thing I could do. Besides, I like to practice what I preach. And I preach a lot about cardiovascular health (considering I was a health educator for 4th graders). I don't gain weight easily...actually, that was the reason I joined a gym, so I could gain some body mass. And to see my body transform like that over the years has been pretty cool.

I have come to integrate it into my daily routine. So, now after work I just go to the gym....whatever I have to do, has the be after I work out. It might be the only selfish thing I do in my days. And I don't this will change much after I start med school. Maybe I'll change and work out early in the morning which is the best...but I could not picture myseld not working out...

I think it's possible...you just have to create the routine and picture how your body is going to love you for doing it :)

Karina

Members don't see this ad :)
don't worry there's definitley time! I'm an MSIII and I haven't missed too many days over the past 3 years where I haven't either gone running or the gym. Some people give up everything and don't make time to work out, but I would go nuts if I did that! You definitely can and should make time for yourself.

Good luck!

In the last summer olympics, there were I believe two people who were in med school that participated for the US team.

Not only did they have enough time to stay in shape, they made the US olympics team.

Yes there is time, you just have to manage it.

Just wondering if anyone participates in triathlons/marathons or the like during medical school or residency. Especially for olympic length triathlons and full marathons -- training can be time consuming. How is it done?

Wow.. 3 year old bump. And her name.. Seems like TT's kind of girl.

Thread hijack complete. Continue with proper discussion.

I read the rules and I didn't want to start a new thread since there was this old one!
Any advice BCLumas!

Go to PCOM-GA, because TexasTriathlete is going there.

Or go to Touro Henderson, because Sherruns is going there.

Or follow where MrMattOglesby goes, because he just did his first Ironman.

Realistically, the med students and residents who are doing triathlons are the LEAST likely people to be spending time on SDN.

My thoughts exactly! See we can think alike.

Sorry I have no real insight into this topic. Just procrastinating. However, I'm sure like anything else, you can do it if you manage your time well. There are only so many hours in a day, so if you need the time to train, it will have to come from somewhere. As long as you keep your studies a priority, do whatever you like with the other 5 minutes in the day, lol!

Good luck to you, I am completely in awe of those of you that have the drive to keep up with your training while studying in med school!

I plan on continuing my daily workout next year. At age 49 it makes me feel better and cuts stress, I also sleep better. We raised our kids with no TV so I will probably keep TV out and exercise in.

Realistically, the med students and residents who are doing triathlons are the LEAST likely people to be spending time on SDN.

good advice. I need to find this MrMattOglesby guy. He obviously has it figured out

We raised our kids with no TV so I will probably keep TV out and exercise in.

Ok, forget that previous awe, now I am in awe of you!! Don't get me wrong, we are constantly active, but I need a break sometimes.

I plan on continuing my daily workout next year. At age 49 it makes me feel better and cuts stress, I also sleep better. We raised our kids with no TV so I will probably keep TV out and exercise in.

WHAT!?! hasn't that been show to cause cancer or other serious defects?!? impaired cognitive ability? stunted growth?

What am I chopped liver? sure I haven't done an Ironman, but I hold my own....geez...no respect

What am I chopped liver? sure I haven't done an Ironman, but I hold my own....geez...no respect

I would love your advice! Or anyones :)
I've done quite a few triathlons and I played college lacrosse, so I'm in good shape. But - I was wondering how people keep this kind of routine in medical school, or if it's even possible?

Thanks again:)

I've done quite a few triathlons and I played college lacrosse, so I'm in good shape. But - I was wondering how people keep this kind of routine in medical school, or if it's even possible?

i hope/plan to continue playing rugby while in med school....we'll see how that goes!

I think that you have time for whatever you make a priority and schedule in. I have had tremendously hectic schedules and never had a problem scheduling time for my training. In fact it is often when my schedule is most hectic that I am in my best condition, because it is my outlet to get out all of my stress and frustration.

Other people will spend their free time surfing the internet or watching tv, you will spend your training, it is all about making choices about what is important to you

I'm finally starting to get INTO shape. You'd best believe I'm going to keep up with it when I go to school.

Just wondering if anyone participates in triathlons/marathons or the like during medical school or residency. Especially for olympic length triathlons and full marathons -- training can be time consuming. How is it done?

KCOM actually has a triathlon at the beginning of each school year.

Seeing how TT hasnt even responded yet, it probably is TT...hahaha

The key will be time management. We're not going to be in class or studying 24/7. You'll have an hour here and there to run or swim or lift or do yoga or whatever. You'll have a few hours on the weekend for a ride. But school will always come first. But if we take care of business, we should be able to maintain a good workout routine. And if you go to GA-PCOM, I will make you HTFU.

I do triathlons too, and I could see where your concern might come from, considering it is time consuming training. I am starting medical school this august and I am really nervous that I won't be able to put full effort into training next year, but I've spoken to a good amount of medical students and residents that find the time to get it done. You can do it, it's just a matter of making it a priority over the other things you might want to do in your free time. I think triathlons are a great way to stay in shape, and if you do them competatively like I do, they are a great way to burn off some steam! This will probably even help burn off some stress from med school as well.

Also, I've done my fair share of personal training, and I find that one of the most effective ways to get a good workout is when you're seeing a trainer. So if the gym by your school has any student deals, or you can afford it, I would definitely recommend getting a personal trainer to give you 2 hard 1 hour work outs a week, so you know you're definitely getting some good training in no matter what.

I like the idea of getting a trainer myself, but as a CSCS, I'd hate to be stuck with some hack, and I end up teaching more than I'm working.

I like the idea of getting a trainer myself, but as a CSCS, I'd hate to be stuck with some hack, and I end up teaching more than I'm working.

I'm a CSCS also, was an exercise physiology major in undergrad, so I feel your pain.

Also, I've done my fair share of personal training, and I find that one of the most effective ways to get a good workout is when you're seeing a trainer. So if the gym by your school has any student deals, or you can afford it, I would definitely recommend getting a personal trainer to give you 2 hard 1 hour work outs a week, so you know you're definitely getting some good training in no matter what.

Really fabulous advice! Thank you :)

I am trying to qualify for Boston this year, so if I DO qualify, I won't be doing Boston until 2010 (while in medical school). It's good to know theres good info out here!

What's your PR? And what race are you trying to use for your BQ? I know Houston and Chicago are notoriously good PR courses.

What's your PR? And what race are you trying to use for your BQ? I know Houston and Chicago are notoriously good PR courses.

Going to use the philadelphia marathon

PR for my best triathlon (olympic) is 2:50

Best half marathon: 1:51

Never done a marathon, and I am slow as hell. Don't even know my PR on any course. I am just shy of 6'5" and 230#, and I have almost no talent for endurance sports. I just race for fun.

I do love the tired legs feeling though. If my legs aren't tired, I feel like a slacker.

They are fried right now. Did a hard ride on wednesday, resistance training yesterday, and track intervals today, in 90+ heat. I'm wiped out, and working the night shift at the ER. Fun!

Never done a marathon, and I am slow as hell. Don't even know my PR on any course. I am just shy of 6'5" and 230#, and I have almost no talent for endurance sports. I just race for fun.

Oh ok! I'm 5'6 and about 130 so I have a little less to carry. I still need to shave off about 40 seconds a mile though.

What kind of speed work are you doing? Track workouts and hills?

What kind of speed work are you doing? Track workouts and hills?

You work in EM? I'm shadowing an EM physician tonight and he's taking a nap. I'm not kidding.

I am not doing speed work outs - I just run, and time my splits. Not productive for a boston qualifier though. I should get on that!