Exit physical

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by turkish, Jan 10, 2019 at 4:58 AM.

1. turkish

turkish Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I’m ETSing this summer, and am fairly sure I need some sort of exit physical. I’ve checked with the VA clinic, they said “your unit does it” (???) and the unit says “go to SFL TAP”.

Are we supposed to have some sort of VA physical done to assess our level of broke-ness? How does one set this up. Apparently I’m the first person to ever get out of the Army, the way this whole process is being handled.

2. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The VA doesn't have anything to do with your separation physicial from the Army, at least not on the front end*. I'm a little sketchy on the details because it's been a few years, but in general terms I just contacted the nearby MTF (clinic) and made an appointment. I seem to remember it being a multistep process whereby I had to get vision/hearing checked before seeing a "provider". Also, if you have your separation physical done before the semi-annual APFT, then you can opt out of it except for height/weight.

*Like all of your medical records, anything documented in your separation physical can be used by the VA to determine disability after separation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TheEarDoc

TheEarDoc Audiologist
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    One of the VA's I worked at was in the backyard of an Army base and another was in the backyard of an Air Force Base. We often times did SHA (separation health exams) for people ETS'ing out of the service. I think it can be done either way either at the local military clinic or they can farm you out to the VA to have it done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. armytrainingsir

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

notdeadyet and turkish like this.
  5. d2305

d2305 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I did physicals for separation, and most of the time it's routine. It takes a while when every box is checked yes.

6. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your separation physical is just to ensure you don’t have an acute issue that needs treatment before you leave and to document your health for reserves or return to AD.

The VA C&P exam is completely separate from your separation physical. Once you submit a VA claim, they will determine the exam(s) required to evaluate your claim. This can start while still AD if you are 180-90 days from separation or can be done after discharge.
    Types of VA Disability Claims and When to File: VA.gov

“First time ever time” would be a great motto for the .mil.

7. MTGas2B

MTGas2B Cloudy and 50
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I left active duty there was a VA service member advocate at the command. You could bring your record. They would scrub it and generate a list for a claim and submit it. The VA then contacted me for physical to evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile