Expectations after first year fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdaepoc

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to make an informed choice about fellowship programs. What do you guys think would be reasonable "milestones" after F-1, F-2, F-3 year . Any current fellows or GutOnc can shed some light on this?

Members don't see this ad.

In order to make an informed choice about fellowship programs. What do you guys think would be reasonable "milestones" after F-1, F-2, F-3 year . Any current fellows or GutOnc can shed some light on this?
I don't really understand what you're asking here? Could you elaborate?

Reactions: 3 users
Neither do I. Your topic title suggest you've finished your first year but your content suggests you're thinking about applying. What's the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying you want to pubmed current fellows at programs you are gonna interview at to size them up and see how productive they are?

Seems like a stupid metric.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, sorry for the confusion. Let me explain a little more. The reason I wanted to figure out what would be reasonable expectations after finishing F-1, F-2, F-3 is so that when I interview at places I can "size them up" to come to my conclusion if those programs are as good as they are marketed to be. This is because I dont have much of a reference point since my program does not have fellowship and I havent had much interactions with fellows.

Basically to estimate whether the fellows are a reflection of the program or not?

Hi, sorry for the confusion. Let me explain a little more. The reason I wanted to figure out what would be reasonable expectations after finishing F-1, F-2, F-3 is so that when I interview at places I can "size them up" to come to my conclusion if those programs are as good as they are marketed to be. This is because I dont have much of a reference point since my program does not have fellowship and I havent had much interactions with fellows.

As I thought, see above, seems stupid.

Ha! As a fellow who recently completed first year, the only milestone I achieved was surviving. So I suppose by nature of that fact that I am still alive, that can be measured?

What's your goal in fellowship and what are you looking to achieve afterwards academically and personally? go interview and talk to fellows at pre-interview dinners and on interview days and see how you fit. that's a better metric to use than "pubmeding" fellows

I have no idea wth OP is trying to say/ask. Listen friend, apply, interview and just get the damn job.

Believe me you will see the fellows on interview day and see who's miserable and who's not. I certainly did. Also it's hard to dress up a bare bones benefits package. If they're touting $100 a month towards food in the cafeteria as a inducement then you know they don't have much. On the interview day most good places are more than willing to share where Alums have gone. You can tell by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk