Expelled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheVillain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a theoretical question. Suppose one happened to get expelled from an university or college for say: drinking/drugs, assault, or some other violation, would their chances of getting into a Medical school be completely wiped out?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are obviously bad but assault would probably be worse than drinking. And it would probably depend on how long ago it happened too if it was 1 year ago or 10.

Yes

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a theoretical question. Suppose one happened to get expelled from an university or college for say: drinking/drugs, assault, or some other violation, would their chances of getting into a Medical school be completely wiped out?

Yes. Drinking isn't terrible, but expulsion due to drinking means something else must've happened too.. like multiple offenses or something worse.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Getting expelled would imply that there have been multiple offenses with said drugs/alcohol/assault. All things considered, getting into medical school would be the least of your worries.

Depends for what... It'd be a very steep slope though. There would have to be some time between the event and when you apply, as well as very convincing evidence that you've changed/matured.

I see. So it seems like for drinking it wouldn't be as bad as for assault or other violation?

Are you researching the best way you can get expelled from college but still have a shot at medical school?

I think any type of expulsion would make it next to impossible to get into medical school. People with one minor IA on their record have trouble getting in with a stellar record. I have no idea how you could even begin to remedy an expulsion situation.

I see. So it seems like for drinking it wouldn't be as bad as for assault or other violation?

Right, because you wont do jailtime for drinking. It's still bad enough to kill your chances at med school though.

can someone even get expelled just for drinking? my friend goes to school where they are a dry campus, very strict about drinking. freshman year he got caught drinking and he did get in trouble but not even close to getting expelled. if someone says they got expelled for drinking I would think they aren't telling the whole story

can someone even get expelled just for drinking? my friend goes to school where they are a dry campus, very strict about drinking. freshman year he got caught drinking and he did get in trouble but not even close to getting expelled. if someone says they got expelled for drinking I would think they aren't telling the whole story

Read the multiple posts about multiple offenses.

Uh I think your first concern would be finding a college that would let you enroll so that you could even finish in the first place. Colleges usually don't look too kindly on people that have had such serious problems at other places that they got expelled.

Yes. Drinking isn't terrible, but expulsion due to drinking means something else must've happened too.. like multiple offenses or something worse.

It depends though, for instance at my university if you're caught drinking you're expelled. So, that's an iffy one, if anything it could show that you refuse to abide by the rules because often these types of universities require you to sign a lifestyle contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
Expelled=red flag for med school, regardless of the reason IMO.

Hypothetically, it would depend which planet we're on. Venus? Mars?

It depends though, for instance at my university if you're caught drinking you're expelled. So, that's an iffy one, if anything it could show that you refuse to abide by the rules because often these types of universities require you to sign a lifestyle contract.

Violating a lifestyle contract falls into "something else happened too". Thank you, come again.

Violating a lifestyle contract falls into "something else happened too". Thank you, come again.

Oh snap, you caught me there didn't you. Haha.

You said multiple offenses or something else, but didn't specify. I wasn't sure if you knew about lifestyle contracts so I added it in. You're welcome.

Are you saying the "something else happened" was s/he signed a lifestyle contract? if not, I don't follow.

I think its absurd, but I've heard of some very conservative schools that would expel you for that. I just wouldn't go there in the first place when at the very least an in-state public school should be an option. I would hope they would be a little more understanding for something like that, but I just wouldn't risk it and avoid those kinds of schools, probably avoid UVa too to be on the safe side.

Oh snap, you caught me there didn't you. Haha.

You said multiple offenses or something else, but didn't specify. I wasn't sure if you knew about lifestyle contracts so I added it in. You're welcome.

I'll be sure to make a comprehensive list next time.

Are you saying the "something else happened" was s/he signed a lifestyle contract? if not, I don't follow.

By drinking s/he violated a binding legal document, which lead to expulsion. Therefore he wasn't expelled just because of the drinking.

Yes, expulsion is pretty much the end of any hopes of becoming a doctor you may have had. Even undergrad schools, which are infinitely easier to get into than medical schools, are very wary of taking applicants that were expelled from their schools (either high school or another undergrad institution). In the graduate school world, even having an IA with no disciplinary action on your record is enough to sink your application at every school in the nation.

It's odd that you mentioned drinking/drugs and assault as the two hypothetical scenarios, and then proceeded to focus on drinking as reason why someone might get expelled. Let me guess: You got drunk, campus police busted your party, you got into a fight with campus police or another student (or both), after which your school expelled you, and now you're hoping that you can just list one of the reasons (ie the least worst one) as the reason why your school expelled you on any future med school applications.

Am I on the right track with this?

Yes, expulsion is pretty much the end of any hopes of becoming a doctor you may have had. Even undergrad schools, which are infinitely easier to get into than medical schools, are very wary of taking applicants that were expelled from their schools (either high school or another undergrad institution). In the graduate school world, even having an IA with no disciplinary action on your record is enough to sink your application at every school in the nation.

It's odd that you mentioned drinking/drugs and assault as the two hypothetical scenarios, and then proceeded to focus on drinking as reason why someone might get expelled. Let me guess: You got drunk, campus police busted your party, you got into a fight with campus police or another student (or both), after which your school expelled you, and now you're hoping that you can just list one of the reasons (ie the least worst one) as the reason why your school expelled you on any future med school applications.

Am I on the right track with this?

I have an IA and several interviews :confused:

I have an IA and several interviews :confused:

Well there are many reasons why a person might have an IA, right? You might get one for getting caught with a beer at a party when you were 20, or you might get one for plagiarizing an essay in your English class. Med schools won't really care about one of these, although they will most likely throw an application in the trash bin because of the other. Guess which one is which.

Well there are many reasons why a person might have an IA, right? You might get one for getting caught with a beer at a party when you were 20, or you might get one for plagiarizing an essay in your English class. Med schools won't really care about one of these, although they will most likely throw an application in the trash bin because of the other. Guess which one is which.

Drinking, duh.

not srs.

I'll be sure to make a comprehensive list next time.

By drinking s/he violated a binding legal document, which lead to expulsion. Therefore he wasn't expelled just because of the drinking.

Well excuse me for adding in one thing, and excuse you for essentially saying what I had already said in your response to the other poster.

Well excuse me for adding in one thing, and excuse you for essentially saying what I had already said in your response to the other poster.

:beer:

Who gets expelled for drinking?

If you get expelled for any reason you're probably up **** creek. Why would a medical school admit you when they could admit one of thousands of applicants who didn't get expelled?

there are so many applicants out there. why in the world would a med school take a risk with someone who got expelled before? however, if the person is very straight forward with it and can sell that they done some "soul searching" + being a really good applicant- maybe....there is some sort of a chance

In med school, we have to have special "professionalism" sessions because we are told that the number one correlating factor for licensing problems as a physician is a history of unprofessional behavior as a medical student. Admissions committees, then, look carefully at your past behavior to ensure that they aren't admitting someone who could be a liability or embarrassment to their institution. One or two minor alcohol or noise infractions in undergrad is one thing, especially if a couple years have passed and they were isolated incidents. Schools tend to look past this for otherwise qualified candidates. But more than a couple recent infractions is probably enough for adcoms to say, "no thanks." Certainly an expulsion would be quite concerning.

There are a couple things that MAY help: 1) get admitted to another institution and maintain a spotless record. 2) get involved the Honor Council at whatever school might admit you, to show that you are sincerely sorry and want to make amends. 3) if it was alcohol- or drug-related, perhaps do done volunteer work for a group like MADD or SADD. 4) be on EXCELLENT terms with your most-respected professors so that they might write you impeccable letters of rec. 5) should go without saying, but the academic piece of your application should be very strong.

There are a couple things that MAY help: 1) get admitted to another institution and maintain a spotless record. 2) get involved the Honor Council at whatever school might admit you, to show that you are sincerely sorry and want to make amends. 3) if it was alcohol- or drug-related, perhaps do done volunteer work for a group like MADD or SADD. 4) be on EXCELLENT terms with your most-respected professors so that they might write you impeccable letters of rec. 5) should go without saying, but the academic piece of your application should be very strong.

This was exactly what I was thinking! I've heard of people who got DUI's and such and started volunteer groups and activities for people who struggle with alcoholism and drugs to help others overcome their addictions and for the applicant it showed passion and ability to overcome struggles. That can make for a very compelling story to an adcom and certainly adds diversity ;)

"We could all have been killed! Or worse... Expelled."

It's probably better to be academically dismissed than to be expelled for assault, drugs, etc.

At least you can (eventually) recover from an academic dismissal by turning your academic career around with a strong performance if you have to sit out a year or two and get re-admitted, or by going to a different school.

It's probably better to be academically dismissed than to be expelled for assault, drugs, etc.

At least you can (eventually) recover from an academic dismissal by turning your academic career around with a strong performance if you have to sit out a year or two and get re-admitted, or by going to a different school.

Yeah, kinda like getting hit by a car is better than getting hit by a bus.

Yes but many schools who have this are private. It isn't hard to get into your state school if the little private school with the funky rules kicks you out.