Experience working for the VA or Kaiser?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisson329

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, probably looking for a hospital job/residency in either Am Care or Crit Care (yeah I know, I'm an incoming p4 and pushing hard for residency). I just really want to know what everyone's experience has been working for the two different health systems. Pros/cons? Salaries/wages/benefits are welcome as well. Looking at working in Cali/Oregon most likely but willing to venture (not sure how far Kaiser stretches anyways).

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, probably looking for a hospital job/residency in either Am Care or Crit Care (yeah I know, I'm an incoming p4 and pushing hard for residency). I just really want to know what everyone's experience has been working for the two different health systems. Pros/cons? Salaries/wages/benefits are welcome as well. Looking at working in Cali/Oregon most likely but willing to venture (not sure how far Kaiser stretches anyways).

Thanks again!

Cali and Oregon are nice... if you want to pay income tax through your nose. Have you thought about Washington, or another state without income tax?

Reactions: 1 user
Of course, but my experience is that it all ends up similar in the long run, peeling it off in one area or another. I've decided that it's more important that I have the weather and area I want to be in rather than focus solely on money, but money does help ;)

Cannot stand how depressing the weather is in Washington. I need sun, it's bad enough in Oregon but I would considering going south/east a bit to get into the better weather.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, but my experience is that it all ends up similar in the long run, peeling it off in one area or another. I've decided that it's more important that I have the weather and area I want to be in rather than focus solely on money, but money does help ;)

Cannot stand how depressing the weather is in Washington. I need sun, it's bad enough in Oregon but I would considering going south/east a bit to get into the better weather.

Eastern Washington is completely different weather. I.E. Pullman. Very little rain east of the Cascades.

Kaiser

PRO: very high wages compared to similar comparable positions, lots of locations and the ability to move w/ internal applicant preference

CON: you become "Kaiserized" aka you are pretty much a drone in their giant system and everything is about as cookie cutter as it gets. Seniority is great....if you're the most senior; otherwise, be prepared to get reamed when it comes to anything if you've been there < 10-15 years.

I've been out to Boise, Idaho jafx and I'm assuming it's fairly similar? It was definitely a lot sunnier, but it reminded me of Oregon in how everytime the sun came out it was freezing cold, haha. I might try visiting in the spring/summer sometime. I'm really a desert kind of guy (I know most people love the green up here but I don't care much about the colors, more about the warmth).

Thanks Confettiflyer! Appreciate the reply. What do you mean by getting reamed when it comes to anything? Like errors, or no ability to speak your mind, or?

I've been out to Boise, Idaho jafx and I'm assuming it's fairly similar? It was definitely a lot sunnier, but it reminded me of Oregon in how everytime the sun came out it was freezing cold, haha. I might try visiting in the spring/summer sometime. I'm really a desert kind of guy (I know most people love the green up here but I don't care much about the colors, more about the warmth).

Thanks Confettiflyer! Appreciate the reply. What do you mean by getting reamed when it comes to anything? Like errors, or no ability to speak your mind, or?

If you look at google maps, the earth satellite shot you'll see it's pretty arid. Not sure about the temperature as I grew up on the rainy side.

On a plus note, less sun exposure keeps you from looking like a worn out leather saddle when you're in your latter half of life.

I think VA PGY-1 residency is a good idea, as most are a good mix of inpatient and am care. The downside of a VA residency is that critical care is usually really not that "critical", if you're looking for that.

As far as VA jobs, all depends on each individual VA, and how management runs the place. Been at 2 VAs so far. One had a lot of dysfunctional things about it (had to look up diluent each time verifying an IV, vanc kinetics or other individualized dosing not done until the clinical pharmacist comes in the next day with 1g q12 or whatever the doc puts in initially verified, staff pharmacists who refused to dose aminoglycosides, etc...) but at least the staff didn't feel like they're going to be fired by failing some stupid metric, and there was very little weekend work. At my current one, I sometimes feel like the place is run like a business, which is odd considering it's the VA. Tons of quantitative metrics with performance standards that are pretty hard to meet, as well as having to rotate through a substantial amount of evenings and overnights (where you are alone for the whole pharmacy, have to respond to codes while doing admission med rec and ER discharge meds/counseling, etc...).

On the plus side, while pay might be lower in Cali than some other hospitals, we do get good benefits. I get pension as well as loan reimbursement, which will work out to be a good amount of money if I stay here long enough without burning out or getting fired. The loan reimbursement program is slowly being phased out though as pharmacists aren't in demand anymore, so it might not exist by the time you get a job. In addition, if you are from another state, you can work in Cali without a Cali license.

Low seniority means not getting your top pick of schedule, days off, vacation, etc...

Thanks Doc Hawaii, the site helped quite a bit.

Bacillus: Glad to see someone who's worked for them post, very helpful! I have read a lot about the PSLF and yeah it seems like they're still doing it but they're trying to adapt it. Have you read about that recently? I still think what they're proposing would be helpful, but not exactly ideal either. Would you recommend it considering your experience?

Confettiflyer: I gotcha, I guess that would be a downside. But it wouldn't exactly be the end of the world. I don't imagine too many jobs where you just get free run of the place right when you start. If there are, be sure to let me know so I can sign up ;)

Thanks Doc Hawaii, the site helped quite a bit.

Bacillus: Glad to see someone who's worked for them post, very helpful! I have read a lot about the PSLF and yeah it seems like they're still doing it but they're trying to adapt it. Have you read about that recently? I still think what they're proposing would be helpful, but not exactly ideal either. Would you recommend it considering your experience?

I'm not talking about PSLF, I'm talking about EDRP (as in, them just giving you money yearly to pay off loans, up to 5 years if you stay that long) I know nothing about PSLF, as my loans will most likely will be paid off before 10 years are up. I feel like EDRP is coming to an end though for any future new hires, as the program is being slowly phased out because pharmacists aren't in demand anymore.