Experiences after completing your career change?

Started by Saint Fu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Saint Fu

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, first post! 🙂

I recently graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering and am now working in high-tech industry. I'm currently planning on spending at least two years working and seeing what really interests me. I'd like to continue my education in a few years, but not necessarily in mechanical engineering...maybe not even engineering at all.

I'm currently just doing some research on possible fields and career paths that may interest me, and medicine is on that list. I actually would have probably ended up doing premed already if it wasn't for my lack of confidence before entering college. Regardless, I was wondering if some of you non-trads could share your experiences in/after med school. I've seen a lot of posts and topics by people who are currently planning their switch, but few about their experiences after the switch. Ultimately, was it what you expected (and what were you expecting, exactly)? Do you regret it or not?

I also understand that doing some volunteer work/shadowing can give me a better idea, but this currently seems difficult as I have work during normal hours. If anyone has any advice on this matter, I'd appreciate it as well.

The reason I am asking is because I realize that I don't have a complete picture and may be over-idealizing the medical profession. I understand that it is often not what many people expect.

Thanks.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm particularly interested in ex-engineers, as I am currently an engineer.
 
Regarding the volunteering - see if you can volunteer at the ER of a local hospital. The ER volunteers I know can go in really late at night or at other "odd" times in the day. They don't have to be there between the 9-5 hours. There are probably other volunteering/work positions with flexible hours like this (but this is all I know for now.)
 
Hi all, first post! 🙂

I recently graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering and am now working in high-tech industry. I'm currently planning on spending at least two years working and seeing what really interests me. I'd like to continue my education in a few years, but not necessarily in mechanical engineering...maybe not even engineering at all.

I'm currently just doing some research on possible fields and career paths that may interest me, and medicine is on that list. I actually would have probably ended up doing premed already if it wasn't for my lack of confidence before entering college. Regardless, I was wondering if some of you non-trads could share your experiences in/after med school. I've seen a lot of posts and topics by people who are currently planning their switch, but few about their experiences after the switch. Ultimately, was it what you expected (and what were you expecting, exactly)? Do you regret it or not?

I also understand that doing some volunteer work/shadowing can give me a better idea, but this currently seems difficult as I have work during normal hours. If anyone has any advice on this matter, I'd appreciate it as well.

The reason I am asking is because I realize that I don't have a complete picture and may be over-idealizing the medical profession. I understand that it is often not what many people expect.

Thanks.

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm particularly interested in ex-engineers, as I am currently an engineer.

Hi and welcome. I also did my undergrad in ME and worked in the field for ~4yrs. During that I realized the engineering career field wasn't for me. I definitely recommend finding a way to volunteer / shadow - making sure you are doing it in a capacity that allows fairly good opportunity to observe docs in action. This experience will tell you whether you wish to pursue medicine further, or search for something else.

I chose to bridge the jump from career to med school via a masters in BMED engineering since I had few pre-med prereqs. I have no regrets, but I'm a fairly newly-minted med student with my idealistic notions still intact 😀.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I was a CPA for 20 years and had finished everything but a couple of classes and dissertation on a second masters in computer science - so maybe I can count as an engineering type.

What's the rush? Definitely experience your new career - you have loads of time. I started medical school just shy of 45, although I don't recommend starting later than 35 if you're wiser than I was.

Non-trads are attractive to medical schools because they've already lived in the real world and had a first career. Jumping to medicine immediately after engineering just looks unfocused (unless you had always planned to go to medical school - there are several traditional students in my class who hold engineering undergraduate degrees).

I've said this before, and it will sound discouraging - but I don't mean it to be. Medicine should not just be on your list of alternative career choices. It's too hard and requires too large of a commitment. You should go into medicine because you've reached the point in your life where you can no longer imagine doing anything else - and you're willing to give everything you've got to accomplishing your goal of medicine. Take shadowing, for isntance - if you want to experience it bad enough, you can find a clinic or ED that will allow you to volunteer or shadow at night or on Saturdays. Determination can't overcome every obstacle, but it sure helps with most of 'em.

How did it work out? Well, leaving a secure job in a hospital with a decade of tenure was the scariest thing I ever did. Also the best thing I ever did. I love medicine beyond my wildest dreams from when I started, and I'm having a blast. I'm also working my tail off and am tired most of the time - that's where the make-it-or-die-trying level of commitment comes in.
 
Well, I was a CPA for 20 years and had finished everything but a couple of classes and dissertation on a second masters in computer science - so maybe I can count as an engineering type.

What's the rush? Definitely experience your new career - you have loads of time. I started medical school just shy of 45, although I don't recommend starting later than 35 if you're wiser than I was.

Non-trads are attractive to medical schools because they've already lived in the real world and had a first career. Jumping to medicine immediately after engineering just looks unfocused (unless you had always planned to go to medical school - there are several traditional students in my class who hold engineering undergraduate degrees).

I've said this before, and it will sound discouraging - but I don't mean it to be. Medicine should not just be on your list of alternative career choices. It's too hard and requires too large of a commitment. You should go into medicine because you've reached the point in your life where you can no longer imagine doing anything else - and you're willing to give everything you've got to accomplishing your goal of medicine. Take shadowing, for isntance - if you want to experience it bad enough, you can find a clinic or ED that will allow you to volunteer or shadow at night or on Saturdays. Determination can't overcome every obstacle, but it sure helps with most of 'em.

How did it work out? Well, leaving a secure job in a hospital with a decade of tenure was the scariest thing I ever did. Also the best thing I ever did. I love medicine beyond my wildest dreams from when I started, and I'm having a blast. I'm also working my tail off and am tired most of the time - that's where the make-it-or-die-trying level of commitment comes in.

Medicine is something I had considered but eventually dismissed when I started college because of fear (not of the studies, but of the responsibilities). I was originally planning on studying bioengineering or biochemistry, but ended up with mechanical engineering because I didn't see any careers that I could enter that would interest me besides medicine. As I neared the completion of my undergraduate studies, however, I found that I no longer had this fear and started wishing that I had gone with my original plans of a bio-related major. Regardless, I was almost done with the degree and was aware that potentially interesting prospects still exist.

Like I said, medicine is just one possibility. Had I chosen a bio-related major in school, I would have most likely ended up premed. As it currently stands, I realize that there are other interesting prospects available to me and I don't plan on making a complete career change right away, if at all. At the very least, I would like to explore more industries in engineering first. However, it's never too early to start gathering information and evaluating my own desires.