Experiences in the UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedtoKnow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your experiences while studying in the UK?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking for info on studying at a British medical school or are you talking about off-shore programs for US citizens that operate in the UK such as Grace. I'm not a student of either, but I am positive that these would be two completely different experiences.

As far as the questions from your other post this is what I can tell you from my experiences having studied there for six-months on an exchange program through my university.

•••quote:•••How's the market prices? ••••It is an expensive country so be prepared for it, but if you shop wisely you'll realize that there is definitely good value for money. However if you insist on eating American fast-food every day it will add up in the long run.

•••quote:•••How's the weather? ••••Depends very highly on when you are there and where you are. Winters can be wet (especially up north), but also very mild compared to some parts of the US. For example it very rarely goes below freezing (32 F) during the daytime and sometimes not even at night. The summers are alot drier and usually very comfortable at around 68-78 F.

•••quote:••• What is it like living in a different environment and place? ••••Depends upon what you choose to make of living in the different environment and place. If someone goes there expecting and wanting everything to be just like it is 'back home' then I can guarantee they'll be miserable. Every country has different ways of operating and its own unique customs. The point of studying aboard is learning to appreciate these things. As I mentioned before, if you choose to only eat at McDonalds and refuse to try new things than you probably won't learn any new things.

•••quote:•••What is your suggestions in regards to travel? Which one is cheaper? Bus or train? Which one is more reliable? Is there a student rate? ••••The British like to complain about their transport system alot, but for me coming from a part of the US that has absolutely no forms of mass transit or public transport I thought their transport system was just fine. I used the trains to go from one end of the country to the other and the Tube (subway) to go from one part of London to absloutely any other part. This type of travel freedom was something I had never expereinced before and I really enjoyed it. Buses are generally cheaper than trains, but trians offer a Young Persons Railcard that gets you 33% off the ticket price for almost all rail travel.

•••quote:••• If you have anything else to add, please do. ••••If you are thinking about British medical schools then I can tell you that they are first-class in both quality and reputation, but they are also very difficult to get into for Americans. If you are talking about the off-shore programs that operate there than I really don't know very much about them. My overall experience studying in the UK was definitely a positive one. The education I got there was brilliant, but it is also difficult as undergrads over there studying science usually have to take four or five intense science courses at a time. They don't follow the liberal arts type system most US universities use. Most of the medical students I met over there looked just as stressed and overworked as the ones I've met over here so some things are just universal.....Good Luck.