1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Experimental passages??

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by bobby_chamo, Apr 18, 2004.

1. bobby_chamo

bobby_chamo Member
    7+ Year Member

Are there really experimental passages on the MCAT that don't count against you? Perhaps one of those organic passages ........ . . . .. . . . . . . .

2. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. I think most standardized tests put these in to determine which questions are good and which are bad.

3. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

do you mean experimental questions within "different" passages or 1 "single" passage that is experimental?

4. Andrew_Doan

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The specifics I do not know, but they would have to have experimental passages too in order to test the validity of the passage.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I dont understand though. The MCAT does not recycle passages right? So what use would an experimental passage be since it could never be used again?

6. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
    They have to validate if it's an appropriate question. For instance, if a passage doesn't produce a nice distribution of responses, then it may not be used.

Are you sure they don't recycle passages? When I took the exam, there were many questions that were similar to other questions I studied from.

7. An Yong

An Yong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT.

Taken from MCAT FAQ:
    http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#questions

8. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    On one of my past threads I posted a link to AAMC's website that state's that they do in fact do what Andrew Doan is saying. I will see if I can find it...

edit: looks like An Young beat me to the punch...