bobby_chamo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2003
76
1
Visit site
Status
Are there really experimental passages on the MCAT that don't count against you? Perhaps one of those organic passages ........ . . . .. . . . . . . .
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
19
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
bobby_chamo said:
Are there really experimental passages on the MCAT that don't count against you? Perhaps one of those organic passages ........ . . . .. . . . . . . .
Yes. I think most standardized tests put these in to determine which questions are good and which are bad.
 

derf

Ohio Land
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
745
0
Visit site
Status
do you mean experimental questions within "different" passages or 1 "single" passage that is experimental?
 
About the Ads

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
19
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
derf said:
do you mean experimental questions within "different" passages or 1 "single" passage that is experimental?
The specifics I do not know, but they would have to have experimental passages too in order to test the validity of the passage.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I dont understand though. The MCAT does not recycle passages right? So what use would an experimental passage be since it could never be used again?
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
19
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
Cerberus said:
I dont understand though. The MCAT does not recycle passages right? So what use would an experimental passage be since it could never be used again?
They have to validate if it's an appropriate question. For instance, if a passage doesn't produce a nice distribution of responses, then it may not be used.

Are you sure they don't recycle passages? When I took the exam, there were many questions that were similar to other questions I studied from.
 

An Yong

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
329
1
Visit site
Status
How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT.


Taken from MCAT FAQ:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#questions
 

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
3,068
43
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Andrew_Doan said:
They have to validate if it's an appropriate question. For instance, if a passage doesn't produce a nice distribution of responses, then it may not be used.

Are you sure they don't recycle passages? When I took the exam, there were many questions that were similar to other questions I studied from.
On one of my past threads I posted a link to AAMC's website that state's that they do in fact do what Andrew Doan is saying. I will see if I can find it...

edit: looks like An Young beat me to the punch...
 
About the Ads