Experimental passages??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby_chamo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there really experimental passages on the MCAT that don't count against you? Perhaps one of those organic passages ........ . . . .. . . . . . . .

Members don't see this ad.

bobby_chamo said:
Are there really experimental passages on the MCAT that don't count against you? Perhaps one of those organic passages ........ . . . .. . . . . . . .
Yes. I think most standardized tests put these in to determine which questions are good and which are bad.

do you mean experimental questions within "different" passages or 1 "single" passage that is experimental?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:
I dont understand though. The MCAT does not recycle passages right? So what use would an experimental passage be since it could never be used again?

They have to validate if it's an appropriate question. For instance, if a passage doesn't produce a nice distribution of responses, then it may not be used.

Are you sure they don't recycle passages? When I took the exam, there were many questions that were similar to other questions I studied from.

How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT.

Taken from MCAT FAQ:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm#questions

Andrew_Doan said:
They have to validate if it's an appropriate question. For instance, if a passage doesn't produce a nice distribution of responses, then it may not be used.

Are you sure they don't recycle passages? When I took the exam, there were many questions that were similar to other questions I studied from.

On one of my past threads I posted a link to AAMC's website that state's that they do in fact do what Andrew Doan is saying. I will see if I can find it...

edit: looks like An Young beat me to the punch...