Experimental Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frenchymmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university, as well as a few others near me, offer MAs in Experimental Pysch.
What exactly is experimental pysch? What are different options for your career path with this degree?
Would you still have clinical opportunites?

Members don't see this ad.

MAs in experimental are primarily stepping stones to PhD programs. Experimental is basically "research psychology". They're research degrees - stats, methodology, core courses (psychopathology, seminars, etc.).

Career opportunities are basically research-assistant like positions. Project coordinator, project director, things like that. You might be able to teach at community colleges too.

You will definitely not have clinical opportunities, as you will not be in any way qualified or even license-eligible. Closest you may get is doing diagnostic research interviews like the SCID under supervision, but you will never be giving therapy with an experimental psych masters.

You will definitely not have clinical opportunities, as you will not be in any way qualified or even license-eligible. Closest you may get is doing diagnostic research interviews like the SCID under supervision, but you will never be giving therapy with an experimental psych masters.

Masters-level behavioral analysis people are often involved in behavior modification plan administration for community interventions. It's not therapy, but it's psychoeducational stuff, which really appeals to some folks. It doesn't pay well and it's not a fun job market in most places, from what I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an MA in Experimental Psych. From my experience, it really is a research-toolbox kind of degree. Lots of courses in stats, research methodology, and experimental-based courses. You get a serious grounding in research ethics (which really doesn't seem to be a major component of most psych ethics courses, as they tend to concentrate on clinical/treatment ethics).

I got my MA five years ago, and I've been working in research ever since. Project manager in quantitative marketing research (staffed with lots of experimental psych PhDs at the top, and psych majors/MAs in the middle and bottom). Research assistant in vision research at hospitals and research institutes. It's not only a good stepping stone for a PhD later on, it gives you the chance to try out different areas on research to see what you're actually interested in. And, I'm assuming, it shows prospective PhD programs that you're willing, able, and enthusiastic about doing research.

Masters-level behavioral analysis people are often involved in behavior modification plan administration for community interventions. It's not therapy, but it's psychoeducational stuff, which really appeals to some folks. It doesn't pay well and it's not a fun job market in most places, from what I hear.

Interesting.

I always thought master's level behavioral analysis was a separate degree, didn't realize you could do it with an experimental degree.