Explaining a grade from community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m82145

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I realized today that the grade I got for taking an EMT course at my local community college will affect my GPA. During the course, I had a family emergency that I had to attend to which impacted my grade and I ended up getting a B in the class. I know that getting a B isnt the biggest deal but the class was 6 credits and when averaged into my overall gpa, it really takes a toll (dropping me from a 3.7 to a 3.6). I know that I can't really do anything about it now, but would you guys recommend me saying something in my application about it? I don't want to draw too much attention to it but I also want medical schools to know the EMT class is the reason that my gpa is lower.

I was thinking about including EMT certification in my 15 activities and then adding something like this to my description:

"I took the EMT class at my local community college and experienced a family emergency over the summer that significantly affected my grade."

What do you think? Am I just overthinking this or should I try to fix it? I'm not sure if I'd be better off just leaving it alone... The worst part is that I was under the assumption that I had taken the course as an audit and when I realized that I was receiving a grade for it, it was too late.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I haven't applied yet...here's my wisdom...

Having a 3.6 is still a fine GPA. I'm certain someone on SDN would do almost anything to swap their GPA for your 3.6 GPA. :eek:

Talk about how much you've learned being an EMT. Always focus on the positive.

Enjoy your new EMT job!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't even mention it on your app. It's a B, not a serious outlier. If someone brings it up during interviews then feel free to work it in but you really want your app to focus on the positives. Although I'm sure your family emergency was significant some people may even see you as a whiner if you start using "excuses" to explain away a B and I wouldnt want them to get that impression.

Survivor DO

Don't even mention it on your app. It's a B, not a serious outlier. If someone brings it up during interviews then feel free to work it in but you really want your app to focus on the positives. Although I'm sure your family emergency was significant some people may even see you as a whiner if you start using "excuses" to explain away a B and I wouldnt want them to get that impression.

Survivor DO

Being so neurotic about a B, when your gpa would suggest you had several, itself raises red flags.

Thank you guys! I think I was just panicking when I realized I had to submit the EMT grade.

@IlDestriero: I'm not sure how my GPA suggests I've had many B's but I have only received 2 in my college career. The reason I was frustrated about this was that I had no intention of having the EMT class count towards my GPA when I took the class.