Explaining academic record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyskies26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Quick question: I'm applying to PT school right now and see there is a "Does your academic record reflect your capabilities?" question. I had one semester in which my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer and had to have a few procedures done which resulted in me flying home a LOT and missing a lot of class, resulting in poor grades. While I want to explain this on my application (because my grades that semester are HORRIBLE compared to every other semester), I don't want it to seem like I am making excuses. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well obviously, but I meant is that the kind of situation they are referring to in the question? Or are they referring to more like students not knowing what to major in and doing poorly and then going back to school years later, etc. Like I said before, I don't want it to come across as if I am making up excuses so I'm not sure if it is better to explain it or just leave it blank and worry about it if it comes up in interviews. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@sunnyskies26:

The purpose of this section is to explain (not make excuses, but truly explain) what caused your academic performance to not reflect your true abilities. It seems like the semester in question was not your first. Given that, you should have a track record that you can speak to before, and obviously then after, the semester.

My suggestion is to explain the situation clearly, along the lines of:

In the X semester of <year> my academic performance suffered. This performance did not meet my previous performance, and since that semester, my performance has been <at Z level>.

During X semester, I was needed at my home, in XYZ place, due to the severe illness of my father. He was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and, in order to support him, I did Q, P, and N. Because I was attending to his needs, my academic performance suffered, as I did not attend class regularly.

I felt <> about spending time with my father and helping him through this illness. However, the semester of poor performance caused me to reevaluate <> and the experience led me to <>.

That should get you started.

Best,

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Thank you so much Josh! My response sounds very similar to what you just mentioned, so I am glad I am on the right track. I appreciate the input!
Best,
Sarah