Explaining Bad Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goheh

(Instrumental Remix)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a decent way of explaining bad grades?

I got a D in my calculus II class, due to a multitude of reasons (parents fighting then divorce then money issues then emotional breakdowns etc etc). But I'm sure admissions committees do not want to be bored with the list. I read that they don't want to hear sob stories nor coulda-woulda-shoulda's, and personally I wouldn't either. What can be done or said? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

goheh said:

I got a D in my calculus II class, due to a multitude of reasons (parents fighting then divorce then money issues then emotional breakdowns etc etc). But I'm sure admissions committees do not want to be bored with the list. I read that they don't want to hear sob stories nor coulda-woulda-shoulda's, and personally I wouldn't either. What can be done or said? :confused:

Take responsibility and state how you overcame the bad grades (retaking it to get an A or B) and what you have learned from the situation. Admissions committees are human and most probably have had similar situations in their academic lives. Good luck! :luck:

I agree. Be honest with the admissions committee. Show them that you had a set back that caused the grade and show how you overcame the set back and are making good grades now. This oftentimes shows determination on your part. Adcoms like that about students.

Members don't see this ad :)
goheh said:

It's not a sob story if it's true... what they don't wanna see is someone getting drunk everynight instead of studying in college. Was it a bad semester or just a bad class?

goheh said:

How do you even know that they will ask? If that class is required for admission, then retake it. If not, then make sure that you have enough As to balance out the D.

I had a bad semester and earned 2 Ds before realizing that maybe I should drop my math minor. :idea: I had enough As and Bs to keep my grade point average up (about 3.3). I had two interviews and nobody asked about grades at all. Your GPA just has to be high enough to get the interview.