balrog26

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Does anyone know which of the following schools are more likely to notify a student of an explicit rejection, rather than, say, silently do so (i.e., If a school says an application is under review but has no plans of extending an interview invite before sending a final rejection in March, I would consider that silent, as opposed to UCI or Georgetown, for instance, which have both already sent out rejections)?

Wash U St. Louis
St. Louis
U Iowa
U Colorado
Ohio St.
Cincinatti
Case Western
Creighton
Chicago at Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Keck
UC Davis
UCLA
UC San Diego
UC Riverside
Tulane
Harvard
Boston
Tufts
Brown
Dartmouth
Vermont
George Washington
Wake Forest
NY Medical College
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
Sidney Kimmel at Thomas Jefferson
Eastern Virginia
Emory

First post, so I apologize if this question is in the incorrect spot. Thanks!

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Didn't even know schools did this.

That's kind of messed up.

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I know Rosalind Franklin and Tulane send out rejections. I don't know about any of the others.

musicalfeet

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
UGH looks like a good chunk of my schools do silent rejections. LOOKS LIKE I'LL NEVER KNOW! And continue panicking if I don't receive any more II throughout 2015..

Dec 7, 2014
Many schools will do both implicit and explicit rejections; i.e., if your application is very poor, they will immediately reject you. If your application is remotely close to interview caliber, however, they will wait until the last II is sent to reject you. Just in case.

From what I can tell, this is what the plurality of schools do.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Georgetown and Einstein rejected me.

Explicitly.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I've gotten explicit rejections so far from Rosalind Franklin, Mayo and Tulane. There are a handful of schools that have been sending out rejections so far - from your list, I know that Keck and Albany have as well.

whitemagic

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Albany Medical College does not send out silent rejections.

(I know this because I got rejected today :()

Dec 7, 2014
BTW, "very poor" was both an exaggeration and a poor choice of words. I should have said "not competitive at that school."

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Every school has their own particular process. Few hold on to absolute rejected applicant without further action. However many, especially outside of say the top 20 or 30 hold a pile for further consideration. Why? It is because of the dynamics of the wait list cascade. The very outstanding candidates will often get multiple acceptances to top schools. They of course only can take one. This flows down eventually to a slighter lower rung of schools where the top candidates at this level may get waitlisted into one of their reach schools. As you can see this will flow on until every seat is filled, usually not finished until the day classes start.

For those of you who think this is a myth, yesterday one of students who recently started an Ivy med school got into a discussion with an instructor who went to state school that she was also accepted to. Turns out this instructor got in the day before classes started because he was the first person they got a hold of live from the wait list.

So for those of you who spending time, energy, and effort trying somehow see into the crystal ball or read the tea leaves, it serves no purpose except to install a paranoia of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt, better known as FUD. Focus on what you are doing, especially if you are still in school and may want to improve for a possible reapplication next cycle.

Reactions: bearintraining