Explicit vs. Silent Rejection Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balrog26

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which of the following schools are more likely to notify a student of an explicit rejection, rather than, say, silently do so (i.e., If a school says an application is under review but has no plans of extending an interview invite before sending a final rejection in March, I would consider that silent, as opposed to UCI or Georgetown, for instance, which have both already sent out rejections)?

Wash U St. Louis
St. Louis
U Iowa
U Colorado
Ohio St.
Cincinatti
Case Western
Creighton
Chicago at Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Keck
UC Davis
UCLA
UC San Diego
UC Riverside
Tulane
Harvard
Boston
Tufts
Brown
Dartmouth
Vermont
George Washington
Wake Forest
NY Medical College
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
Sidney Kimmel at Thomas Jefferson
Eastern Virginia
Emory

First post, so I apologize if this question is in the incorrect spot. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't even know schools did this.

That's kind of messed up.

Emory, Einstein, Tufts, Temple, Jefferson

Not Tulane, BU, CMS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know Rosalind Franklin and Tulane send out rejections. I don't know about any of the others.

UGH looks like a good chunk of my schools do silent rejections. LOOKS LIKE I'LL NEVER KNOW! And continue panicking if I don't receive any more II throughout 2015..

Many schools will do both implicit and explicit rejections; i.e., if your application is very poor, they will immediately reject you. If your application is remotely close to interview caliber, however, they will wait until the last II is sent to reject you. Just in case.

From what I can tell, this is what the plurality of schools do.

Reactions: 2 users
Georgetown and Einstein rejected me.

Explicitly.

I've gotten explicit rejections so far from Rosalind Franklin, Mayo and Tulane. There are a handful of schools that have been sending out rejections so far - from your list, I know that Keck and Albany have as well.

Albany Medical College does not send out silent rejections.

(I know this because I got rejected today :()

BTW, "very poor" was both an exaggeration and a poor choice of words. I should have said "not competitive at that school."

Most of the low-yield schools do send out rejections. I believe Harvard does as well.

Reactions: 1 user