Expunged misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Temp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death and I'm aware that residencies will do a federal background check on you but I had a misdemeanor (not drug or alcohol related) over 10 years ago and had it expunged shortly after. A private background check is clear and I just got an FBI criminal history check through the DOJ Criminal Justice Information Services division and it was also clear. Not sure if I should try and track down all the pertinent information and list it into ERAS or leave it alone. If it isn't showing up on a private or federal search what else would it show up on? I'm just looking for opinions and will most likely speak with a lawyer about this situation.

All the other threads on this don't mention a clear federal search.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the specifics of background checks, but if you want to be on the absolute safe side I would just list it. If it's not drug-related or a violent crime, then it's almost certainly going to be a non-issue given that it happened 10+ years ago and has been expunged. If you don't list it, even though it hasn't shown up on your searches you still hold yourself liable to it appearing on something you haven't checked or perhaps don't access to. Is this something to be worried about? I don't know, I guess it depends on your risk tolerance.

I know this has been beaten to death and I'm aware that residencies will do a federal background check on you but I had a misdemeanor (not drug or alcohol related) over 10 years ago and had it expunged shortly after. A private background check is clear and I just got an FBI criminal history check through the DOJ Criminal Justice Information Services division and it was also clear. Not sure if I should try and track down all the pertinent information and list it into ERAS or leave it alone. If it isn't showing up on a private or federal search what else would it show up on? I'm just looking for opinions and will most likely speak with a lawyer about this situation.

All the other threads on this don't mention a clear federal search.

I would talk to someone at your school about this

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know much about the specifics of background checks, but if you want to be on the absolute safe side I would just list it. If it's not drug-related or a violent crime, then it's almost certainly going to be a non-issue given that it happened 10+ years ago and has been expunged. If you don't list it, even though it hasn't shown up on your searches you still hold yourself liable to it appearing on something you haven't checked or perhaps don't access to. Is this something to be worried about? I don't know, I guess it depends on your risk tolerance.

I would talk to someone at your school about this

I wouldn't trust schools for this issue. Med schools will do a lighter (if any) background check for admission, they are also more than willing to take all your money and despite you facing problems in the future. The area that is constricting and if failed will result in the end of your medical career is when you apply for a medical license (full, not the limited one for residency) the medical board WILL investigate.

I would not discuss this with schools, instead I would talk to lawyers/groups who are practiced in state medical board issues. It would be horrible to finish 4+ years of med school and be >150k in debt and then find out 2-3 year of residency that you will not be given a full license.