1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

extending residencies

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by doc2belee, Nov 21, 2002.

1. doc2belee

doc2belee New Member

:confused: I had a speaker at my school today, the president of the DO family practice association......He said the AMA and the AOA are in the process of extending all residencies by one year, as a result of a legal judgement against them that limits resident work hours to 80 a week. Has anyone else heard about this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No. I think we would have heard something if this were true. Some of the residency directors may want to do this, but I don't think the AMA is wanting to do so.

4. Zeffer

Zeffer "My dog ate em. I swear thats the truth!"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Along with what Geek Medic said, FP residencies are already having a difficult time filling the spots. Increase the residency another year and the probability that applications will dwindle significantly is too great a risk for that field (of course I have been putting in long hours studying for tests so I might be up in the night on this one).