Extra Cash During Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

goingindebt

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😕As anyone heard of a NS resident getting a salary/stipend/ loan repayment offer from a hospital or practice if the resident signs a contract to work at a particular hospital after graduation? I’m not talking about a senior level resident. More in the junior level range (pgy 1-5).

I heard rumors that depending on the area and shortage this is possible. Has anyone done or know some who is doing this?

I’m looking at joining the reserves for their stipend offer, but would like to do the hospital route if possible. Or does anyone have some ideas to make some extra cash during residency. we don’t have moonlighting opportunities at my current program and my loans are killing me.

I may also post this on uncle harvey….
Any thought are appreciated!!!
 
I know a couple residents who have done this in the southeast. I dont know about the loan repayment during residency, but several were offered monthly stipends during the last legs of their training (pgy 5, 6, etc).....The stipends were not overly large but every little bit helps with loan debts