Extra LOR/weight of being an alumni?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

Couple questions..

An OMFS I've been working for for about 6 years just offered to write me a LOR, and went to school X and Y (which are pretty prestigious schools), and is apparently very good friends with the dean at school X, and an alumni at school Y (obviously). Both are schools that I am applying to and would LOVE to attend. Problem is, I already got a LOR from a doc at the same practice (who has basically been my mentor for 6 years), and lets just say that the two don't get along in the slightest. My question is, can I get a LOR from the second doctor, and just send them to schools X and Y? I was thinking I could just upload them to interfolio and submit to these two schools if thats a possibility, is it?

Also, how much weight does being an alumni/friends with the dean REALLY hold? It's not like the doctor is gonna say "I know Jim, the dean of school Y, and we just had drinks together last weekend", so will those reading the LOR actually know? Also, does being an alumni to any school really mean anything for LOR writers? Because the omfs that I have my actual letter from is an alumni from two of the schools that I am applying to.

Thanks in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

Having connections I don't think ever hurts. I would call the admissions departments at the schools and just let them know about the situation. Some schools absolutely refuse to take outside letters, while some will take extras under certain circumstances.

Having connections I don't think ever hurts. I would call the admissions departments at the schools and just let them know about the situation. Some schools absolutely refuse to take outside letters, while some will take extras under certain circumstances.
Great, thank you for the response! Do you know when an appropriate time is to call the schools about things like this, pre-requisites, and other questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now! Haha, once June and July start up it will probably take them longer to get back to you. I have emailed both UCLA and Tufts with questions already and have gotten responses. You can definitely call them too if you have time during their open hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you don't have that person officially write you a letter, I think that person can still talk directly to the people at the school on behalf of you.

For example, one of my engineering professors is married to the Dean of my target school. I couldn't use him for an AADSAS letter because most schools somehow wouldn't accept engineering as being science letters (bummer). But he told me that he can still offer to talk to his wife for me.

Reactions: 2 users