Extra schools to add for a CA ORM (3.95/525)? (Very burnt out)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KendallJennerSniperLady69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Please do not quote those post]

Hi all,
So far I have applied to 27 schools. My plan was to apply to 35, but unfortunately, I really underestimated my ability to write these secondaries, and I'm very burnt out at 27, and the burn out has been exacerbated by a health emergency in my family adding to the stress of working 50hrs/wk+apps. It is also starting to get later in the app process (Labor Day is here).

As a CA ORM, I was aiming for at least 30 schools, and I wanted to see if the following were okay adds (interested in the schools as much as some I have removed/low burden secondaries enabling timely submission).

I am worried because I have cut 2 mid-tier schools out of my list and only 1 T20, making the proportion of T20s higher... I am thinking of adding Stony Brook, NYMC, and U Indiana to my list. Are these schools okay for someone with my stats and coming from out of state?

I have applied to the following already:
University of Rochester Medical School
CWRU School of Medicine
David Geffen SOM at UCLA
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
UC Davis School of Medicine
UCSD School of Medicine
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis SOM
Baylor College of Medicine
UCSF School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University SOM
Stanford Medical School
Keck School of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Yale School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
University of Michigan
Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
UC Irvine
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
California Northstate University College of Medicine

I decided not to continue with these (burdensome secondaries that I do not have the capacity to complete right now without completely BSing them. JHU I do not have the correct letters for, and also I do not think I have the capacity to turn in a 10K character secondary right now in a timely manner):
SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
University of Florida College of Medicine
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NYMC will yield protect with your stats. You could add these schools instead:
U Virginia
Ohio State
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
NYMC will yield protect with your stats. You could add these schools instead:
U Virginia
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Hi Faha,

Thanks for the guidance!

OSU is actually still on my list of remaining schools to apply to. I cannot guarantee that I can come around to finishing secondaries for Cincinnati and UVA this month though.

Any thoughts on Stony Brook or U Indiana?

@Goro, so sorry to be tagging you on Labor Day, but would you happen to know whether these schools (U Indiana, Stony Brook) would be receptive to an application from an OOS applicant with my stats?

Hi Faha,

Thanks for the guidance!

OSU is actually still on my list of remaining schools to apply to. I cannot guarantee that I can come around to finishing secondaries for Cincinnati and UVA this month though.

Any thoughts on Stony Brook or U Indiana?

@Goro, so sorry to be tagging you on Labor Day, but would you happen to know whether these schools (U Indiana, Stony Brook) would be receptive to an application from an OOS applicant with my stats?
Stony Brook is doable, but I'm not sanguine about IU. You deserve better than CNU, as well. Consider U VM, U IA, U CO, Emory, Rochester, Hofstra, and the schools on Faha's list.