Extra time on dat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. Do it the normal way, you will have more respect for yourself once you make into school. You don't want to always be trying to get people to work around you, work inside the system and it works smoother.

First thought is, how the heck do you plan on keeping up in dental school which is twice as hard as undergrad was.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the OP. We have no idea why OP qualifies for extra time in college. I'm sure whatever undergrad the op went to they don't just let anyone get extra time. At least my school you had to fill out forms and provide proof. I'm sure its the same at others.

OP probably has a very valid reason to qualify for extra time and its up to testing services to decide whether OP qualifies or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're being a bit harsh on the OP. We have no idea why OP qualifies for extra time in college. I'm sure whatever undergrad the op went to they don't just let anyone get extra time. At least my school you had to fill out forms and provide proof. I'm sure its the same at others.

OP probably has a very valid reason to qualify for extra time and its up to testing services to decide whether OP qualifies or not.

Yeah, I would agree with you

lol, EVERYONE can get extra time on the DAT...

Just go and fake the symptoms of ADHD, the doc will put you on medication, pretend like the medication isn't doing s*** for you and they'll write you a note saying "this kids condition is too harsh, even medications doesn't effect him for squat, please allow him extra time on the DAT"

But if you do this "extra time" business and dental schools find out you have a "condition" which allows you to get special treatment, they might not accept you.... I sure as hell would do EVERYTHING in my power to not let a school know I have a "condition" (even If I do have it)

lol, EVERYONE can get extra time on the DAT...

Just go and fake the symptoms of ADHD, the doc will put you on medication, pretend like the medication isn't doing s*** for you and they'll write you a note saying "this kids condition is too harsh, even medications doesn't effect him for squat, please allow him extra time on the DAT"

But if you do this "extra time" business and dental schools find out you have a "condition" which allows you to get special treatment, they might not accept you.... I sure as hell would do EVERYTHING in my power to not let a school know I have a "condition" (even If I do have it)

Testing service doesn't make it that easy. You have to had fake it since your undergrad days not suddenly develop it.

Should some school deny you on some recognize disability under the ADA, (assuming you have impressive stats and its not a physical handicap or mental handicap that will hinder work as dentist in which they can hide behind) there will be plenty of lawyers lined up waiting to cash in. I'm pretty sure giving some student 30 extra minutes(or whatever agreed upon time) is much easier than paying out a multimillion dollar settlement.

But if you do this "extra time" business and dental schools find out you have a "condition" which allows you to get special treatment, they might not accept you

Unless you're on an adcoms and we don't know it, I'm not sure you can speculate that an adcoms would choose to not admit someone based on a "condition."

OP: Contact prometric and arrange this with them... this is how a classmate of mine took care of it.

Unless you're on an adcoms and we don't know it, I'm not sure you can speculate that an adcoms would choose to not admit someone based on a "condition."

This is where I totally disagree. When an adcom finally makes a decision to accept/reject an applicant, its ALL based on a personal decision the adcom made. There is no magical formula that tells you whos going to get accepted or rejected, it ALL COMES DOWN to the personal preference of the adcom, he/she either liked you or didn't. Sure they'll throw excuses at you like "oh we don't think your a good fit, your gpa is a little low, your dat isn't where we want it, you didn't take enough heavy semesters in undergrad, blah blah blah..... if an adcom sees you with a "condition" that lets you get special treatment (like extra time on the exam) I am going to make a leap of faith judgment and assume the adcom would rather accept someone without this "condition"

No one has to agree with me, this is my opinion, and I firmly believe people with known "conditions" (specially ones that give you extra exam treatments) are less likely to get accepted than people who don't have conditions but still earn high marks.

Interesting response... but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because the way I see it, that person has overcome something that neither I, nor you, can completely comprehend; and back to my original answer, neither of us are on an adcoms so we can not speculate as to this being a reason to not admit an applicant. I look at it just like anyone else that has overcome a hardship to get in to dental school: there was something keeping that person from achieving their goal and they overcame it. I had more than a couple interviews where I was well respected because of what I went through to get where I am today, and thus, this helped me. I just don't see how this wouldn't be similar.

Not to beat a dead horse, and maybe I'm wrong because I'm not in dental school yet and I don't know how things work, but it seems like if you consistently need more time to do things that take other people the proper amount of time would stop you from being a good practitioner. I mean, if you are asking for extra time in dental school to do things, are you going to just arrange longer appointments when you get your practice? That's just my opinion but it seems like it would be better for you to just do it like everyone else. Everyone has their own problems they deal with and some people are horrible test takers but they still have to jump through the same hoops as everyone else.

Interesting response... but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because the way I see it, that person has overcome something that neither I, nor you, can completely comprehend;

Oh believe me, I can comprehend just fine. I was "diagnosed" with ADHD when I was younger and was "diagnosed" again about 5 years ago when I started working for Accenture. both times medications (If I remember, it was 5mg of Aderal) were prescribed to me and both times I didn't take em, why? because I believe its all crap, people who are lazy and don't wanna try hard "feel" lazy and disorganized and apparently in the medical world this is called a "condition".... Im sorry you will never get me to agree that laziness is a "condition".... The real truth is, if you have a "condition", work and study hard and BELIEVE ME you will overcome this. I study my @ss off especially in my most recent post-bacc credits and I've managed to 4.0 every course over the past 3+ years. If I can do it, they can to.

Now I don't know what the OP has, maybe there are other conditions out there that are REALLY debilitating, but my opinion is VERY biased toward ADD and ADHD, if you have some attention deficit, more time on exams / medications are no where near as powerful as your will.

and back to my original answer, neither of us are on an adcoms so we can not speculate as to this being a reason to not admit an applicant. I look at it just like anyone else that has overcome a hardship to get in to dental school: there was something keeping that person from achieving their goal and they overcame it. I had more than a couple interviews where I was well respected because of what I went through to get where I am today, and thus, this helped me. I just don't see how this wouldn't be similar.
This underlined statement contradicts itself. If a person has a "condition", then the CORRECT way to overcome this hardship is by doing it the normal way.... Asking for extra time does NOT qualify you as someone who overcame an obstacle, it just means you have a problem and the only way you can overcome this problem is by having a special treatment... Im sorry I don't consider this as overcoming anything, it just means you (for some bs or legitimate reason) can't compete with the norm, so you have to have special allowances.

Anyways, I am not trying to pick an argument or fight with you, I find this debate quite interesting, but like you said, we just have to agree to disagree

This underlined statement contradicts itself. If a person has a "condition", then the CORRECT way to overcome this hardship is by doing it the normal way.... Asking for extra time does NOT qualify you as someone who overcame an obstacle, it just means you have a problem and the only way you can overcome this problem is by having a special treatment... Im sorry I don't consider this as overcoming anything, it just means you (for some bs or legitimate reason) can't compete with the norm, so you have to have special allowances.

I think I came off the wrong way here, I was never thinking about this from an ADHD or OCD perspective... I was only trying to imply that, like race or sex, adcoms can not discriminate against somebody based on this (which I guess there's no way they would ever know this unless it was stated in the applicant's personal statement). I agree with you, and in fact found myself thinking the same things when, during every test, a classmate of mine got to spend time and half taking his test while the rest of us took it in normal time (and conveniently, he always ended up with the highest grade). He got time and a half on the DAT as well and he'll matriculate this August. I've always thought that he should get away from doing this because otherwise dental school is going to be a rude awakening. But... to each his own.

Dyslexia will get you more time.
Cognitive processing speed is another one. No ADD, ADHD, are not excuses,. They may be reasons that might make a person have to TRY harder than everyone else (With Medication or Not). But there are valid reasons for extended time that WILL NOT affect the speed at which a person is able to do a filling/crown/root canal.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I new a dentist who had ADHD who had to spend over an hour to clean my teeth for the same price as other dentists, then I would consider this valuable over the typical high-volume sales driven dental clinics. LOL.

I think I came off the wrong way here, I was never thinking about this from an ADHD or OCD perspective... I was only trying to imply that, like race or sex, adcoms can not discriminate against somebody based on this (which I guess there's no way they would ever know this unless it was stated in the applicant's personal statement). I agree with you, and in fact found myself thinking the same things when, during every test, a classmate of mine got to spend time and half taking his test while the rest of us took it in normal time (and conveniently, he always ended up with the highest grade). He got time and a half on the DAT as well and he'll matriculate this August. I've always thought that he should get away from doing this because otherwise dental school is going to be a rude awakening. But... to each his own.

I guess I misunderstood what you meant, and I TOTALLY know what your talking about, in my orgo 1 class, we had 1 girl who needed extra time on her test, after the test time would end, we all would turn our papers in but for her, the professor took her paper and both of them went to the professor's office so she can sit and finish her test....I don't remember what her reasons were or what condition she had, all I know is she was pre-med.....god help those future patients who need an ASAP emergency decision and she is the only doc around

Dyslexia will get you more time.
Cognitive processing speed is another one. No ADD, ADHD, are not excuses,. They may be reasons that might make a person have to TRY harder than everyone else (With Medication or Not). But there are valid reasons for extended time that WILL NOT affect the speed at which a person is able to do a filling/crown/root canal.

Health care is not for everyone. Whether you have a legitimate condition or not, if you can't compete with the normal population under NORMAL times, then I am sorry, I don't care how bad you want it, you don't belong in health care.

If I new a dentist who had ADHD who had to spend over an hour to clean my teeth for the same price as other dentists, then I would consider this valuable over the typical high-volume sales driven dental clinics. LOL.

you wouldn't think that if the DDS was charging you by the hour :D

Health care is not for everyone. Whether you have a legitimate condition or not, if you can't compete with the normal population under NORMAL times, then I am sorry, I don't care how bad you want it, you don't belong in health care.

I can think of a lot of reasons why someone do not belong in health care and taking an extra couple minutes on a test is not one of them. But your right about one thing. Health Care is not for everyone. No one know's why camr qualifies for extended time. But to say they don't belong in health care because of that, is wrong in my opinion. (I am probably the minority on that thought). But then again I have always been more empathetic (my down fall) than most other people.

Someone you don't know could just as easily say that if you don't have empathy and understanding then you have no business being in health care either. It's a servant leadership position.

Last edited:
I guess I misunderstood what you meant, and I TOTALLY know what your talking about, in my orgo 1 class, we had 1 girl who needed extra time on her test, after the test time would end, we all would turn our papers in but for her, the professor took her paper and both of them went to the professor's office so she can sit and finish her test....I don't remember what her reasons were or what condition she had, all I know is she was pre-med.....god help those future patients who need an ASAP emergency decision and she is the only doc around

Let me just say WOW!!!!! I know can understand why our healthcare system is in such trouble.

I guess empathy, understanding, serving, and caring for others doesn't factor into why a few in this forum want to be doctors.

It seems the only concern for these few are boosting their very large egos and filling pocket books.

I would rather be a patient of someone whom took extra time in not only preparing and actually learning the material but in being tested on said material.

How about focusing on yourself and HELPING others or figure out a new career, because if you cannot help a fellow student you will NEVER and I mean NEVER be able to successfully help another.

I guess empathy, understanding, serving, and caring for others doesn't factor into why a few in this forum want to be doctors.
Your forgetting other factors like decent smarts, strong worth ethic, and most importantly being able to hang with the normal population that gets into this field. Being passionate and caring for others DOES NOT equate to you belonging in the health care industry.

It seems the only concern for these few are boosting their very large egos and filling pocket books.
What are you talking about? who here mentioned anything about monetary gains and "boosting large egos" ??????

I would rather be a patient of someone whom took extra time in not only preparing and actually learning the material but in being tested on said material.
whats this supposed to mean?

How about focusing on yourself and HELPING others or figure out a new career,
Again, I don't follow

because if you cannot help a fellow student you will NEVER and I mean NEVER be able to successfully help another.
who here suggested anything about not helping other students? How do you know I am "NEVER [gonna] be able to successfully help another"? Were you drunk when you wrote all this

DentalWorks....

Not drunk........I just found your post to be judgemental and arrogant!
Just because someone needs more time on a test does not attest to their ability to be a doctor.

I understand it might be frustrating to see some people getting more time than others. However, people whom get extra time must have extensive documentation in order to receive the extra alloted time.

DentalWorks....
Not drunk........I just found your post to be judgemental and arrogant!
Just because someone needs more time on a test does not attest to their ability to be a doctor.

Yes it does. Being a doctor is not just about being passionate about the field, it has to do with BEING ABLE to handle fast-pace environments. If a person is asking for extra time on the tests (again, irrespective of what condition he/she has) then I am inclined to believe thier NATURAL ABILITY to handle stressful environemts is not as well suited as a person who can handle that same exam but under normal regulations.... As a simple example, a trauma surgeon who has a 20-second window to make a decision is not going to tell the patient "can you please hang on a little longer for me to process some more info"

I can't believe you are arguing about this... I said it before and I'll say it again, heathcare is not for everyone. You keep thinking that just becuase someone is willing to work hard and overcome thier conditions that they belong in this field, so I say how are they overcoming a condition by asking for special accomodations? It seems to me the only thing they are overcoming is thier inability to hang with the normal population

So here is an interesting twist... I talked the the lady that interviewed me where I was accepted yesterday in lab. She said there are some dental students that do get extra time on their basic science tests due to things like test anxiety. They don't however get extra time in lab AND>>> they won't get extra time on National Boards!!!!! Which means you may be able to fake it, ir even get by, but come crunch time, after you are $400,000 in debt you may not be able to be certified. The process of certification is supposed to be impartial and to have someone treated differently takes the impartiality out of it and ultimately DOES HARM the patient which they are bound to protect from happening.

I didn't know this, very interesting...

This brings me back full circle to what I've been advocating. If your one of those with a "condition" and get accepted, and can ONLY function with extra time, then your going to eventually flunk out and be in thousands of dollars in debt..... If you go in and WERE able to pass the lab practicals and the national boards WITHOUT the extra time, then you had it all in you from day 1... why did you have to get extra time in undergrad / DAT to get an edge over the other pre-dents/pre-meds????

This thread should be locked up. Its gone way past the original point of the post. I provided the OP link to get test accommodations and it probably should have ended there.

debating the merits of extra time is pointless and in my book its a "i don't care" item. If OP needs gets extra time its their business/problem.

the ADA requires schools, businesses to make certain/reasonable accommodations. for the DAT, the NBDE and dental school they have someone who's job is to decide whether a request reasonable or not, and that's that.

personally I think ADD/ADHD or a billion of these sudden new problems we've come up with is bs. Its just laziness to me. Everything seeming becomes a disorder and we got a pill for it. I don't get extra time and really don't care if someone else does. My attitude with tests is you either know it or you don't. especially essay questions. getting 10/15/30 minute extra to stare at your paper won't make the answer come up if you didn't study. With MC questions, I take it like this, the answers right there. Its even less work you have to do.

So here's a question..

If you were "diagnosed" with ADHD, but didn't feel you had it, would you still use the opportunities that this diagnosis allowed you?

- Adderall
- Extra Time on Exams

So here's a question..

If you were "diagnosed" with ADHD, but didn't feel you had it, would you still use the opportunities that this diagnosis allowed you?

- Adderall
- Extra Time on Exams

Thats a question only the person "diagnosed" can answer. I was in that situation and I choose option b) work hard without special medications/accommodations.