Extracurricular activities time frame

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ham Sandwich

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning to do 4 different volunteer activities to help increase my chances. However there will only about 6 months of completed volunteer work, which I plan to get 100+ hours in each of them. So Quantity vs Quality? I feel like the quality will stay the same regardless of whether or not I do all 4.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a set minimum you have to enter on AMCAS? No? Then there is no set minimum. Quality>quantity.

But there are some rules to it: have at least one clinical experience with a meaningful experience.

EDIT: I want to believe adcoms do their due diligence and after reading your post, you strike me as someone who is just blindly pursuing medicine without knowing why or what medicine truly is. You seem to be more interested in conforming yourself to what you think adcoms look for than being yourself. If medicine requires you to not be yourself, find another career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a set minimum you have to enter on AMCAS? No? Then there is no set minimum. Quality>quantity.

But there are some rules to it: have at least one clinical experience with a meaningful experience.

EDIT: I want to believe adcoms do their due diligence and after reading your post, you strike me as someone who is just blindly pursuing medicine without knowing why or what medicine truly is. You seem to be more interested in conforming yourself to what you think adcoms look for than being yourself. If medicine requires you to not be yourself, find another career.
I actually do have a passion for this, unfortunately to get into this field requires a systematic approach, try and deny that I dare you. Meaning you need to get experience to show that you're committed. I already have multiple clinical and nonclinical experiences that span multiple years in length. I don't know you, but you strike me as someone who likes to look down and sneer at other people just because they don't do things your way. You're pompous to think that you can understand someone's motivation just by a simple post on a forum. Just so you know, medicine is a team sport and you seem like you think yourself better than everyone else to actually work with them. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I actually do have a passion for this, unfortunately to get into this field requires a systematic approach, try and deny that I dare you. Meaning you need to get experience to show that you're committed. I already have multiple clinical and nonclinical experiences that span multiple years in length. I don't know you, but you strike me as someone who likes to look down and sneer at other people just because they don't do things your way. You're pompous to think that you can understand someone's motivation just by a simple post on a forum. Just so you know, medicine is a team sport and you seem like you think yourself better than everyone else to actually work with them. You should be ashamed of yourself.

That's the problem. You think black and white. While there are some rules to it, the rule is pretty flexible. One person can focus on medical missions, another shadowing, but as long as you have sufficient clinical volunteer hours and stayed there a while and have a meaningful experience for your AMCAS, you can do whatever else you want to do to boost your application. There are other rules to the application process, but I won't disclose them with you because I want you to find the answer yourself through personal growth.

The bolded arguments are self-contradicting. I told you to do your own thing, so how would/could I look down on someone if I encouraged them to do things their way. I also never told you not to pursue medicine. The fact you reacted the way you did seems like I struck a nerve. I always say these blunt statements but never direct them at the person because if they get defensive, it means at least some of what I said applies to them.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
That's the problem. You think black and white. While there are some rules to it, the rule is pretty flexible. One person can focus on medical missions, another shadowing, but as long as you have sufficient clinical volunteer hours and stayed there a while and have a meaningful experience for your AMCAS, you can do whatever else you want to do to boost your application. There are other rules to the application process, but I won't disclose them with you because I want you to find the answer yourself through personal growth.

The bolded arguments are self-contradicting. I told you to do your own thing, so how would/could I look down on someone if I encouraged them to do things their way. I also never told you not to pursue medicine. The fact you reacted the way you did seems like I struck a nerve. I always say these blunt statements but never direct them at the person because if they get defensive, it means at least some of what I said applies to them.

You told me to do my own thing? Read your comment again, all you encouraged was that I find another career. Now I know what you're going to say, "but that doesn't mean you have to be a doctor to go into medicine, you can do other things." You really are someone special. Do you go around this forum to troll people, do you get off on that? Shame

You told me to do my own thing? Read your comment again, all you encouraged was that I find another career. Now I know what you're going to say, "but that doesn't mean you have to be a doctor to go into medicine, you can do other things." You really are someone special. Do you go around this forum to troll people, do you get off on that? Shame

I believe I said, "If medicine requires you to not be yourself, find another career." not "Stay away from medicine and find another career." The fact you're interpreting as "find another career" implies you're lying to yourself about your passion for medicine. Take that with a grain of salt. In case you don't know what that means, it doesn't mean rub salt into a wound, it means to take it with skepticism. Again, I am not saying you don't belong in medicine because I told you to be skeptical about it. Also, keep in mind, I have not said anything concrete about you.

Last edited:
I believe I said, "If medicine requires you to not be yourself, find another career." not "Stay away from medicine and find another career." The fact you're interpreting as "find another career" implies you're lying to yourself about your passion for medicine. Take that with a grain of salt. We're done here.
You got me there. You did word it very eloquently, you must not be a science major. However, all you're doing is hiding the meaning of your words in some fancy word play. It's irritating to say the least, I feel bad for those people that have to deal with your BS in person. Anyways, don't kid yourself you already read this post and I know you're tempted to reply back to it, but do me a favor and don't, you nauseate me. :)

Your assumptions are really bad. This was to show you how bad you are at predicting people.

I am a science major. If you paid attention in science, you would know, hypothesis are never proven, just supported. The fact you talk like your hypothesis are concrete facts tells me you need to pay more attention in your classes.

I am not hiding any meaning, I say it exact as it is. I have not assumed a single thing about you until your defensive replies gave me hints about you.

I am a science major. Your assumptions are really bad. This was to show you how bad you are at predicting people.
Awe man you replied back after you said you weren't going to. I also noticed you edited your second to last post saying that you were done. Guess you aren't done? Indecisive much?

I edited the last one too because I decided to show you up and keep replying.

Congrats on showing me you don't pay attention in your science classes.:) I sure as hell would not want you as my physician, that's for sure.

Want to keep going? Show us more about yourself because all I am seeing so far tells me you really should find another career. If you snapped this easily with me, you will have a lot of fun with some of the more difficult patients, which again adds to why you should find another career.

Members don't see this ad :)
I edited the last one too because I decided to show you up and keep replying.

Congrats on showing me you don't pay attention in your science classes.:) I sure as hell would not want you as my physician, that's for sure.
Wow. I think that's cheating :(. But thx for showing me your true colors. You're exactly the type of person I initially thought you were, I'm glad I could bring it out of you. PS you give bad advice, I really hope people don't actually listen to you.

What true colors? I had evidence backing up my statement. You have none.

Can't provoke people to respond and expect them not to. You're the one showing your true colors, not me. We're done for reals this time.

Want to keep going? Show us more about yourself because all I am seeing so far tells me you really should find another career. If you snapped this easily with me, you will have a lot of fun with some of the more difficult patients, which again adds to why you should find another career.
PPS I wouldn't say I snapped at you, more like I called you out for being the fake person that you are trying to be (and might I add, failing to be right now, you've lost your cool). See sometimes patients are liars and will not tell you the truth about what they're doing. For example some are drug seekers and only want narcotics from you. It's important to call out those patients for who they are and for wasting your time just like it's important to call out fake people in life or forums, like you. Cause every comment that you have made shows me that all you really care about is yourself. I mean you pretend so much that you're helping people with your advice when really you're tying to help yourself, perhaps by eliminating some of the competition? The fact that you're going back to your previous posts and editing them to make you sound better just proves my point.

What true colors? I had evidence backing up my statement. You have none.

Can't provoke people to respond and expect them not to. You're the one showing your true colors, not me. We're done for reals this time.
Awe is that your flimsy justification? I really do hope we're done cause like I said you nauseate me.

Planning to do 4 different volunteer activities to help increase my chances. However, I realize that it is October and the earliest start date for these activities would most likely be mid-November. Since I'm submitting my application in June that leaves about 6 months of volunteer work, which I plan to get 100+ hours in each of them. So Quantity vs Quality? I feel like the quality will stay the same regardless of whether or not I do all 4.

That's 16+ hours a week of volunteering. It would make me wonder how you have so much free time, or if you've got a touch of mania. This pattern of ECs ends up looking shotgun, even with other, longer-term ones on your app. You'll get just as much mileage doing one or two of them.

what a tiring and pointless argument you guys had here.

anywho i second what was said above. thats a lot of volunteering and it will look even more superficial if you pack multiple volunteering opportunities into the 6 months right before you apply. i encourage you not to do this, and to do 1 or 2 you can write about well and that will make it easy for adcoms to see your passion for them bleed through the paper

to lend a perspective on my situation, i am working 2 jobs, research, and tutoring during this year i am applying and i am squeezing a bit of volunteering with homeless children in there because this is something i care about a lot and it will be easy for others to recognize that when i write about it

Last edited:
That's 16+ hours a week of volunteering. It would make me wonder how you have so much free time, or if you've got a touch of mania. This pattern of ECs ends up looking shotgun, even with other, longer-term ones on your app. You'll get just as much mileage doing one or two of them.

I would agree with the touch of mania part. Glad someone else sees it.

what a tiring and pointless argument you guys had here.

anywho i second what was said above. thats a lot of volunteering and it will look even more superficial if you pack multiple volunteering opportunities into the 6 months right before you apply. i encourage you not to do this, and to do 1 or 2 you can write about well and that will make it easy for adcoms to see your passion for them bleed through the paper

to lend a perspective on my situation, i am working 2 jobs, research, and tutoring during this year i am applying and i am squeezing a bit of volunteering with homeless children in there because this is something i care about a lot and it will be easy for others to recognize that when i write about it

You should definitely apply to Duke, even if it's out of your LizzyM range. Their secondaries has a lot to do with nurturing. I hear a lot of people struggle with Duke's secondaries, but it sounds like it would be a cakewalk for you. Doesn't hurt to try, am I right?

Lol you guys were burning that midnight oil on an intense Friday night.

You should definitely apply to Duke, even if it's out of your LizzyM range. Their secondaries has a lot to do with nurturing. I hear a lot of people struggle with Duke's secondaries, but it sounds like it would be a cakewalk for you. Doesn't hurt to try, am I right?

i didnt know that. i worry about their very high lizzy m but maybe i could have a shot after all. thanks for the heads up

i didnt know that. i worry about their very high lizzy m but maybe i could have a shot after all. thanks for the heads up

I know someone who got into a school and that school's LizzyM is 69 and their MCAT was 499. Even if they had a 4.0, their LizzyM would have been 65. If stats alone mattered, they would not have gotten in. Secondaries are usually tailored to a school's mission statement, at least from what I have seen so far with Duke and a few others. Don't quote me because I've been too busy to look up all the schools. I really wish there was a website that has ALL the mission statements in one page and you can CTRL (CMD for Mac) + F.