Extracurricular + Hobby

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osono

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been playing the flute since I was around 10 years old. While in college I was in the wind ensemble for all 4 years. I wanted to list these things as two separate activities- one being the 4 year period in the wind ensemble as an extracurricular, and the other being my 10+ year hobby as a flute player. Do you think it makes sense to separate it in this way? Would it make more sense to have one entry as a hobby and talk about the college wind ensemble years inside of that activity? I kind of want to highlight that it was something done as an extracurricular while in college though- I received credit for each quarter enrolled and I spent a good chunk of my time as an undergrad doing that activity.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been playing the flute since I was around 10 years old. While in college I was in the wind ensemble for all 4 years. I wanted to list these things as two separate activities- one being the 4 year period in the wind ensemble as an extracurricular, and the other being my 10+ year hobby as a flute player. Do you think it makes sense to separate it in this way? Would it make more sense to have one entry as a hobby and talk about the college wind ensemble years inside of that activity? I kind of want to highlight that it was something done as an extracurricular while in college though- I received credit for each quarter enrolled and I spent a good chunk of my time as an undergrad doing that activity.
If you received academic credit for your involvement in the Wind Ensemble, it was not an "Extracurricular."

For AMCAS, you might instead consider using the tag "Artistic Endeavor," highlighting the Ensemble membership and referring to the musical involvement at an early age in the same entry, as part of the backstory. Your college involvement seems like far more than a Hobby to me.

Or you can break it into two entries if you wish.

Reactions: 2 users