Extracurriculars during study abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is possible to get some research or clinical experience while studying abroad for a semester? I’m considering going abroad, but I feel like being able to maintain extracurricular activities is important for the sake of med school apps. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my kids went abroad and was able to be a tutor to youngsters in the local school system (English speaking country). I've seen some applicants who have shadowed or volunteered in local hospitals while abroad. YMMV

Frankly, I rarely see ECs either research or service during the study abroad semester and it doesn't seem to preclude applicants from being invited to interview.

Research will be a little bit harder because of a likely language gap and the fact that study abroad is usually just one semester, while research tends to be more longitudinal. The same goes for clinical experiences. However, local volunteering opportunities should be available as long as you put in the effort to search for them. This is unfortunately a large part of the reason many premeds don't study abroad (including me :cryi:).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience there were some limitations. For example the student visa I was on considered volunteering as “work” which was not allowed. I believe there were also limitations regarding international students shadowing although I didn’t really pursue that and now kind of wish I had just to see the difference. I did join a hobby group unrelated to my school, but I didn’t put that on my app. I mostly travelled. I never felt like there was pressure to continue my ECs while abroad (it just felt weird to me not to bc I was always the type of person with a packed schedule) and I don’t think anyone counted that against me when I was interviewing. Studying abroad is essentially its own EC anyway.

In my experience there were some limitations. For example the student visa I was on considered volunteering as “work” which was not allowed. I believe there were also limitations regarding international students shadowing although I didn’t really pursue that and now kind of wish I had just to see the difference. I did join a hobby group unrelated to my school, but I didn’t put that on my app. I mostly travelled. I never felt like there was pressure to continue my ECs while abroad (it just felt weird to me not to bc I was always the type of person with a packed schedule) and I don’t think anyone counted that against me when I was interviewing. Studying abroad is essentially its own EC anyway.

My kid's tutoring was done as part of a course taken at the university. As always, YMMV

For what it's worth, I studied abroad for a semester and did absolutely nothing while I was there (besides travel and have fun). I'm applying this cycle and have 6 interviews so far and 1 acceptance, so I don't think it hurt me. Like hmockingbird said, I think study abroad is enough of an EC on its own. I did already have plenty of hours of research and clinical experience though, and was lucky to have positions that let me take a semester off then come back, so if you're short on hours it might be more of a concern. In contrast, one of my friends got a position at a research lab while we were abroad, so it's definitely doable if you want to although he had way less free time to go out and explore. Regardless, study abroad was the highlight of my college experience and you should definitely do it regardless of your med school apps!