This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mesptschool19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'll be applying to PT schools for the 2018-2019 cycle. A little worried because my stats are not great

Major: Psychology
cGPA: ~3.29
pGPA: ~ 3.5-3.7 (still have to complete 3 classes)

Taking my GREs in June

Currently have over 1000 hours in two outpatient PT settings and am starting a volunteer program at NYU in the next two weeks where i'll have at least 150 inpatient hospital hours. I also plan on completing about 50 hours at a pediatric outpatient clinic.

My extracurriculars include: social worker designee at a senior center, home health aide, cycle for survival fundraiser, powerlifting club vice president, philanthropy chair and player on womens rugby team, certified personal trainer, admin assistant at a Crossfit gym overseas, new york public interest and research group intern

I'll be applying to: LIU, NYU, Downstate, Hunter, Stony Brook, Touro, GW, Seton, Jefferson, Temple, Rutgers

questions-
1. i have TONS of 5ks and fundraisers and small on campus events that i participated in ex. race for autism, cycle for survival where we raised money for memorial sloan kettering cancer research, food drive, etc etc. Would you include these in your extracurriculars or would they be too much and overpower the more important experiences, such as personal training, rugby, and pt aide?
2. does anyone know unique and stand-out facilities in the NYC boroughs to volunteer? I have a lot of outpatient hours and would like variety
3. what can I do now, before applying, to make myself a more desirable applicant?

Thanks in advance!! Really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats seem to be just fine, considering all of the extracurricular and volunteer hours you have done/plan to do. I got in to about four schools with very similar stats; a slightly lower cGPA of 3.2 and a pGPA of about 3.7.

If you want to get another setting to further vary your observation hours, try Ozanam Hall Nursing Home located in Bayside, Queens. Having outpatient , inpatient hospital, and SNF hours is more than enough and proves your dedication to the profession.

I would also definitely add in all of those extracurriculars to your application. Faculty want to see a well rounded applicant and all of your extracurriculars show that you enjoy trying to make a difference in your community.

Lastly, I would suggest to just rock you’re GREs out of the park. Shoot for 155+ in each section and at least 4 in the writing. If you do that, you should be a competitive applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely add all of those as extracurriculars. Many programs reward applicants that are involved in their communities, it’ll show that you’re a well rounded applicant. Those types of things can separate you from everyone else with similar stats.

I think the amount of hours you’re going to have in different settings will be awesome too, so go through with those. Especially the inpatient hospital hours.

Your application seems well rounded, just try to get A’s in your remaining prereqs and get a 300 minimum total on your GRE, aim for 310 total.

Reactions: 1 user