1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Extracurriculars

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CanAmPremed, Dec 14, 2005.

1. CanAmPremed

CanAmPremed CAD > USD - It's true :D
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

I'm so worried about this :scared:

I have a 3.5 gpa (science and overall), have a 33 mcat, but my extra curriculars are crap. I only have the fact that I volunteer at my local pharmacy and that I volunteer a lot in my church. I know for canada, this is a really important fact. But I will be applying in the states (specifically: in the midwest MI, IL, IN,). How much do american med schools care about extracurriculars.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, you probably need more EC's. Not many though. What you need to do is get some clinical experience (volunteer in a hospital and shadow a doctor) for a few months. If you can do that, and you are good at selling your dedication to the EC's that you have right now, you might be alright. The thing I am afraid of is that your GPA is about average for accepted applicants, although your MCAT is great. Some med schools may want a "hook" to neutralize your average GPA--this is where EC's would come in. But my suggestion would be to find clinical EC's right away.

4. CanAmPremed

CanAmPremed CAD > USD - It's true :D
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Wow really :eek: So volunteering in a pharmacy wouldn't be good enough.

Well I am applying for med school next year. So if I start volunteering this january and by the time I apply ill prolly have 10 months or so of experience on top of the two years I have for working in a pharmacy...you think thats enough.

5. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah, it's strange in canada - they don't really care if you volunteer for hospitals or if u have clinical experience - so as long as u have ec's and can show that ur a well rounded person. but for the us - u need clinical experience or shadowing - same for dental in the us...

6. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    yeah pharmacy doesn't get you the patient contact required by most US schools.

7. autoimmunity

autoimmunity Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

While getting patient contact is definitely important, do not underestimate the importance of simply showing dedication to a personal interest. If you can demonstrate that, it will go a long way to illustrating your passion, initiative, blah blah blah. And of course, when you get interviews, it will also make for a great conversational piece.

8. autoimmunity

autoimmunity Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Where in Canada are you from anyways?

9. jon stewart

jon stewart Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i geuss this a somewhat related question, but if your a canadian citizen and not an american citizen, and you apply to us med schools then arnt you considered an intl applicant?