1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Extracurriculars

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CanAmPremed, Dec 14, 2005.

1. CanAmPremed

CanAmPremed CAD > USD - It's true :D
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

I'm so worried about this :scared:

I have a 3.5 gpa (science and overall), have a 33 mcat, but my extra curriculars are crap. I only have the fact that I volunteer at my local pharmacy and that I volunteer a lot in my church. I know for canada, this is a really important fact. But I will be applying in the states (specifically: in the midwest MI, IL, IN,). How much do american med schools care about extracurriculars.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, you probably need more EC's. Not many though. What you need to do is get some clinical experience (volunteer in a hospital and shadow a doctor) for a few months. If you can do that, and you are good at selling your dedication to the EC's that you have right now, you might be alright. The thing I am afraid of is that your GPA is about average for accepted applicants, although your MCAT is great. Some med schools may want a "hook" to neutralize your average GPA--this is where EC's would come in. But my suggestion would be to find clinical EC's right away.

4. CanAmPremed

CanAmPremed CAD > USD - It's true :D
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Wow really :eek: So volunteering in a pharmacy wouldn't be good enough.

Well I am applying for med school next year. So if I start volunteering this january and by the time I apply ill prolly have 10 months or so of experience on top of the two years I have for working in a pharmacy...you think thats enough.

5. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah, it's strange in canada - they don't really care if you volunteer for hospitals or if u have clinical experience - so as long as u have ec's and can show that ur a well rounded person. but for the us - u need clinical experience or shadowing - same for dental in the us...

6. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    yeah pharmacy doesn't get you the patient contact required by most US schools.

7. autoimmunity

autoimmunity Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

While getting patient contact is definitely important, do not underestimate the importance of simply showing dedication to a personal interest. If you can demonstrate that, it will go a long way to illustrating your passion, initiative, blah blah blah. And of course, when you get interviews, it will also make for a great conversational piece.

8. autoimmunity

autoimmunity Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Where in Canada are you from anyways?

9. jon stewart

jon stewart Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i geuss this a somewhat related question, but if your a canadian citizen and not an american citizen, and you apply to us med schools then arnt you considered an intl applicant?