Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being an ROTC student, I have almost no extracurricular activity outside of ROTC. I have talked to several people and they said this is fine since medical schools know the amount of time invested in ROTC.

Now, the problem is that I am trying to exit my ROTC contract and thus will not be commissioned or completing the ROTC program one year before I graduate after some serious professional considerations. Now, I want to know how this is going to hurt me as far as justifying my lack of extracurriculars go and the whole "can he commit to something?"

I am more than ready to defend my decision, but will schools turn me away before interviewing me just based on my lack of EC's? I have some hospital volunteering, doctor shadowing, research (published), but little else. I did get many awards in ROTC and was actually the only freshman to take a completely independent leadership role my first year. Will these still apply despite me not completing the program?

I really have to weigh these consideration before fully disenrolling from ROTC. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

They won't care if you decided against going into the military. In fact, that's a smart decision.