Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trouserz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So folks I was wondering what you guys do for extracurriculars, and if they were part of the premed routine or done without regard to medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I think adcoms like to see a range of EC's, not just med-related activities. Kinda show them that you are unique and have a life outside the medical arena. For example, besides my clinical experiences, I've coached boys volleyball (those kids won the State Catholic schools league this year! What an inspiration!), helped teach junior golfers rules and etiquette, and done some community work with my college service organization. I think if there is something you do WELL that is NOT medically related, elaborate it on your ap...adcoms love diversity.

Just remember that you need solid clinical experiences and/or research EC's as well!

Hope this helps!

me ke aloha pumehana

Although some may disagree with me on this, I would advise against doing any sort of activity just as part of a "premed routine," alone. You do want to gain some experience in the clinical realm, to give you some exposure to the field. . . but as someone pursuing a career in medicine, one would hope you'd be interested in such activities, anyway!

Just choose what you love, what interests you! Take up a hobby you enjoy, meet people, do something that excites you. From my conversations with people during interviews, I believe that what you take away from an experience -- whatever that experience may be -- is what's truly important.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by MorningLight2100:
•Although some may disagree with me on this, I would advise against doing any sort of activity just as part of a "premed routine," alone. You do want to gain some experience in the clinical realm, to give you some exposure to the field. . . but as someone pursuing a career in medicine, one would hope you'd be interested in such activities, anyway!

Just choose what you love, what interests you! Take up a hobby you enjoy, meet people, do something that excites you. From my conversations with people during interviews, I believe that what you take away from an experience -- whatever that experience may be -- is what's truly important.•••••I second that :wink:

The things that I ended up talking most about at my interviews were my job in construction, my job as a radio DeeJay, my research on plants, my study-abroad experience in Italy and my volunteering in the ER; in that order. So clinical exposure was very important, but what made stand me apart were all the things I did for fun.

I was on the mock trial team for three years in college. I was never pre-law, I just thought it was really fun!

I used to think that mock trial was totally unrelated to medicine. But now I realize that all those hours I spent practicing to be a witness will serve me well if I ever have to be a witness for a malpractice suit! :wink:

Just kidding, but seriously, that's the kind of practical skill they never teach you in med school . . .

Hi :) . I definitely think it's good to be a balanced student and to do things you enjoy besides medical stuff.

I posted all of my clinically-related activities on the "What type of clinical experience do YOU have" thread. For non-medically related ECs, I grade pre-calc papers 10 hrs a week (paid employment), I volunteer-tutor algebra to local middle school kids, I was in a sorority, and I do recreational aerobics and plan to teach them. :cool: And one and two and...... :wink:

I also hang out with recent teenage immigrants in a language and cultural enrichment program,a nd I teach ESL to dining hall employees. And lastly, for open house I gave speeches to the prospective premed students. I also watch a lot of TV. :p

do people just not have "non-clinical" EC's or are they just not responding??

I was lucky to have been part of this really special group of people who started a city-wide (now international) program for children. Our motto was to "encourge ordinary kids in the community doing something extra-ordinary." We worked one on one with kids, and bigwigs in the community to develop programs to recognize youth that are doing positive work within their communities. We asked people in the city to nominate children they thought were incredible, and at the end of the year, made a memorial wall where each kid's name and motto was put on a tile of that wall. 30 years from now, I can come back to that same wall and show my kids how important it is to do something good for the community....it certainly leaves a mark.

I am currently volunteering in a Nursery/Neonatal Intestive Care Unit. I feed and hold babies! It has been really great so far. Also, I shadowed doctors full-time in London for a few weeks several years ago. As far as non-clinical activities, I am currently the treasurer of and coach for a non-profit organization that teaches tennis to low income kids. I played varsity tennis while in college. That's about it really, other than the several research assistant positions I've held.

I'm a competitive rower and a coach, and we're starting a community stuff like rowing program for blind people and "row for a cure" instead of "race for a cure." I also tutor inner city children, as well as tutor for AOL. I've served on state and national committees for the promotion of classical scholarship (you wouldn't actually believe how many people study the dead languages!) and written/edited for the school paper, being a columnist during my year abroad. And I served on executive committees for the university for student input into changes the university has made. As far as premed stuff: I just do research. Haven't really volunteered, but I didn't have time and didn't like my high school experience doing it so I didn't bother.

Looking back it seems like I've done a lot of stuff, but not really - it was just natural, stuff I wanted to do. My GPA isn't the highest, and definitely suffered this year cuz of crew, but I don't really care about that.