Extremely frustrated with research project as a medical student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

failedacademic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting from a throwaway.

My school offers a funded summer research program. I stressed out picking a project as my M1 year came to a close, and I had to decide between a super-interesting basic science project and a less-interesting clinical project.

I went with the basic science project and it has easily been the greatest source of frustration and disappointment in all of medical school so far.

Nobody in the project - the PI, any fellows or residents - want to accomplish anything.. It wasn't until a few weeks into the project that I was informed that the PI had been sitting on this project for 4 years before he started looking for med students and managed to trap me in this snare. I did a bunch of work over the summer to get the data ready and we sent it over for processing so we could start the analysis. That was in July. It's now December, and the folks who we are waiting on are not even halfway done. I've been pestering them for updates and even showed up in person, and it's just excuse after excuse. My PI doesn't care - this is his last basic science project and he's transitioned his lab to fully clinical projects.

Meanwhile, my classmates have already been presenting their research at conferences across the country, and some are working on first-author manuscripts.

Everyone who participates is expected to present a poster at a med student research seminar early next year, right before we start dedicated, and I highly doubt I'll have anything at that point either.

It sucks because I'm really interested in academics as a big part of my career, and I'm worried about how much this flaming sack of **** is going to hold me back. Not to mention, I may have to give back some of my summer funding considering next to no progress has been made.

So my single greatest chance to get meaningful research done has been absolutely wasted, along with a lot of my spare time during M2. Now I'll have to try to wedge some sort of meaningful project into my limited time on slow rotations in M3, and even then I will be light-years behind my classmates and other folks applying for academic residencies.

Not even sure what I'm expected from SDN. Maybe reassurance, maybe a story from someone who did something similar. Maybe a bunch of people to tell me I'm a ***** and this is all my fault.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you should have chosen the clinical project, but I am sure you realize that now. I would try and hop on another clinical project right now and try and get some production. IMO it will look bad if you CV says you got some summer research thing and no results. I would try and either ditch the basic science project and hop on a clinical one or do both the basic science and find a clinical project or two.

Reactions: 1 users
First off, anyone who's spent anytime in basic science and/or even clinical science can empathize with your situation. That sucks and I'm sorry for you.

Something that gets often overlooked by neophyte researchers is the importance of picking an appropriate mentor/PI/project. The harsh reality is that there are any number of reasons why projects fail to go to completion and most are not due to the effort level of the student researcher. If you have a PI that isn't engaged the you're behind the eight-ball from the start. It sounds like your PI doesn't care about this project and quite frankly that means its going to fail. Research is hard enough when the stars align, much less if significant problems exist.

From the glass half full perspective: while failing to get to the publication is a notable red-mark, it opens a large opportunity at the interview for you. It gives you a chance to explain what things you personally did, where/why you think the project stalled, what could have been done differently. If you can demonstrate to interviewers that you had a full understanding of your project and, that if given a chance, would be successful if you were doing one for them then you may be better off.

It sounds like you're not the person who did zero research. It sounds like you're the person who put a lot of effort into an unsuccessful project. The latter person has potential future research value, the former doesn't.

As for what advice I have for you now? Ask your PI if a) your basic science project can/will go anywhere while you're still around and b) if you can possibly transition to a faster moving clinical project. If the answer to b is 'no' then you may just want to find another PI/project. If that guy doesn't realize you're getting hosed, then maybe he's not the guy you need to be working with.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Something that gets often overlooked by neophyte researchers is the importance of picking an appropriate mentor/PI/project. The harsh reality is that there are any number of reasons why projects fail to go to completion and most are not due to the effort level of the student researcher. If you have a PI that isn't engaged the you're behind the eight-ball from the start. It sounds like your PI doesn't care about this project and quite frankly that means its going to fail. Research is hard enough when the stars align, much less if significant problems exist.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Posting from a throwaway.

My school offers a funded summer research program. I stressed out picking a project as my M1 year came to a close, and I had to decide between a super-interesting basic science project and a less-interesting clinical project.

I went with the basic science project and it has easily been the greatest source of frustration and disappointment in all of medical school so far.

Nobody in the project - the PI, any fellows or residents - want to accomplish anything.. It wasn't until a few weeks into the project that I was informed that the PI had been sitting on this project for 4 years before he started looking for med students and managed to trap me in this snare. I did a bunch of work over the summer to get the data ready and we sent it over for processing so we could start the analysis. That was in July. It's now December, and the folks who we are waiting on are not even halfway done. I've been pestering them for updates and even showed up in person, and it's just excuse after excuse. My PI doesn't care - this is his last basic science project and he's transitioned his lab to fully clinical projects.

Meanwhile, my classmates have already been presenting their research at conferences across the country, and some are working on first-author manuscripts.

Everyone who participates is expected to present a poster at a med student research seminar early next year, right before we start dedicated, and I highly doubt I'll have anything at that point either.

It sucks because I'm really interested in academics as a big part of my career, and I'm worried about how much this flaming sack of **** is going to hold me back. Not to mention, I may have to give back some of my summer funding considering next to no progress has been made.

So my single greatest chance to get meaningful research done has been absolutely wasted, along with a lot of my spare time during M2. Now I'll have to try to wedge some sort of meaningful project into my limited time on slow rotations in M3, and even then I will be light-years behind my classmates and other folks applying for academic residencies.

Not even sure what I'm expected from SDN. Maybe reassurance, maybe a story from someone who did something similar. Maybe a bunch of people to tell me I'm a ***** and this is all my fault.

I’m by no means an academic, but this thread comes off as sensationalism. I’d imagine academic physicians try to weed out those who are not interested in research, not those who are unsuccessful. Publishing is one aspect of academia, but another is honesty and being resilient when running into problems. As long as you have something to demonstrate that you were committed throughout medical school (and possibly undergrad) to research and talk well about your research, your CV won’t be as much of an issue as you’d imagine.

On the other hand, what has the potential to knock you out of contention Top 25 IM is a sub-230 Step score. Relax, let the unproductive project sit on the back burner and mobilize your resources for Step 1.

EDIT: Also I like what was said above about people in basic science being able to empathize with your plight. I agree. Like said above, I would be honest with your PI and ask to be transitioned to one of his clinical projects. If you’ve done well and he’s a decent person, he’ll try to compensate for “hosing” you. If not, put the entire project on the backburner and start focusing energy on Step. You can try to get another project but don’t spend too much time doing it. Best of luck!

Last edited:
It sounds like you're not the person who did zero research. It sounds like you're the person who put a lot of effort into an unsuccessful project. The latter person has potential future research value, the former doesn't.

Eh. I did zero research prior to residency, and managed to put together my own project from start to finish, including IRB approval, and am working on submission to a national conference and a manuscript. I'll be matching to an academic fellowship next week.

OP, not all projects are successful. Your participation in the project still counts for something. Don't be disheartened.

Stop whining. It doesn't always come easy, and it isn't always fun, but that's what makes it that much sweeter when you get it.

Well, you should have chosen the clinical project, but I am sure you realize that now. I would try and hop on another clinical project right now and try and get some production. IMO it will look bad if you CV says you got some summer research thing and no results. I would try and either ditch the basic science project and hop on a clinical one or do both the basic science and find a clinical project or two.
I don't agree. Not all projects come to fruition or produce something worthy of publication. A medical student is not a PhD, so it's expected that the contribution will be limited. Hopefully OP will be able to salvage something for a poster, but who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with focusing all your energy on Step 1 right now. Research can ALWAYS be made up, either joining a clinical project during your third year or taking a research year after your third year. There's also the option to spending most of your non-interviewing time finishing a project during your 4th year. Research is NOT permanent, but your Step score is, so try to focus all on that. You still have a lot of chances left!

There are people who decide during their third year to go into something competitive/academic, so while this was a rough start, you aren't behind. You can still TALK about what you did for your summer research!

Reactions: 1 user