psp251

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

I've pushed back applying to med school for years now, without realizing that my MCAT score would be expiring this summer. I currently work full time and don't think I can invest the time to study and retake the test, so I'll be trying to apply late this cycle. I've worked on my primary in past years, so I have a good foundation.

If I submit my primary by early next week, I was wondering if I would still have a chance. (Unfortunately, I'm an Asian California resident so I know it'll be even more difficult for me.) If anyone has any advice whatsoever on my situation and what my best plan of attack is (schools to apply to, timeline, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated. I'm panicking just typing this out. My information is below if that's important as well. Thank you!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 36 (12/12/12)

EC's:
Summa cum laude, Dean's honor list, etc.
Research: 3-5 hours a week for 3 semesters + 1 summer (17 months total)
-Resulted in secondary authorship in 2 publications (though not a high-impact journal)
300 hours of clinical volunteering
Counselor at 1-week camp relating to the aforementioned clinical volunteering for 3 summers
Member in club relating to clinical volunteering - 2 years
Mentoring/tutoring at elementary school for 3 years
Currently work at public health tech company - have been there 1.5 years
Do not have any shadowing, unfortunately

May 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Go ahead. You've waited long enough. Criteria for applying early does not necessarily apply to candidates like you. I am sure you will do fine.
Are you averse to applying to DO programs? Cause it might be a good investment since your MCAT is expiring (so why not?).

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Good app, but you really dropped the ball on this one.

You should get some interviews, but that depends on where you apply and if your essays are decent (not rushed).

You guys have no idea how competitively awful things are getting each year. At my school (and likely a lot of other places), the incoming class is way over alloted space. That is, their yield algorithms from just the prior year was way off. No one got in off the WL. Much lower acceptances this year to correct.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Good app, but you really dropped the ball on this one.

You should get some interviews, but that depends on where you apply and if your essays are decent (not rushed).

You guys have no idea how competitively awful things are getting each year. At my school (and likely a lot of other places), the incoming class is way over alloted space. That is, their yield algorithms from just the prior year was way off. No one got in off the WL. Much lower acceptances this year to correct.
Wisconsin?

Mongoosie

2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
For the most part everything looks stellar, the only real hiccup is the lack of shadowing experience. You do however work for a health tech company and have plenty of clinical volunteering so hopefully that can "overshadow":)lol:) that one negative in your application. Just apply broadly and you should be able to get a couple of interviews. Good Luck!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
In the same spirit, do you work at Stanford?
I only say that because every year there is a spectacular over-accept. This year it was Wisconsin.
It would be hard to beat "The" Ohio St. miscalculation from a few years back and (since you mention it) Stanford's big over-accept about 3 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm sure there's quite a few this year. Regardless, it's an ominous trend for pre-meds.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
OP
P

psp251

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm sure there's quite a few this year. Regardless, it's an ominous trend for pre-meds.
I'm definitely concerned that this year might be the worst so far since everyone might be trying to apply while their old MCAT scores are still valid. I think I'll just soldier on and try to get the primary submitted as soon as possible, since it seems I have a slight chance of getting in this cycle if I'm strategic about where to apply.

On that note, off the top of your head, can you folks think of schools that might be appropriate for someone in my situation? I came up with a preliminary list last year but a lot has surely changed since then, so I'd really appreciate hearing your experiences on the matter.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

I've pushed back applying to med school for years now, without realizing that my MCAT score would be expiring this summer. I currently work full time and don't think I can invest the time to study and retake the test, so I'll be trying to apply late this cycle. I've worked on my primary in past years, so I have a good foundation.

If I submit my primary by early next week, I was wondering if I would still have a chance. (Unfortunately, I'm an Asian California resident so I know it'll be even more difficult for me.) If anyone has any advice whatsoever on my situation and what my best plan of attack is (schools to apply to, timeline, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated. I'm panicking just typing this out. My information is below if that's important as well. Thank you!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 36 (12/12/12)

EC's:
Summa cum laude, Dean's honor list, etc.
Research: 3-5 hours a week for 3 semesters + 1 summer (17 months total)
-Resulted in secondary authorship in 2 publications (though not a high-impact journal)
300 hours of clinical volunteering
Counselor at 1-week camp relating to the aforementioned clinical volunteering for 3 summers
Member in club relating to clinical volunteering - 2 years
Mentoring/tutoring at elementary school for 3 years
Currently work at public health tech company - have been there 1.5 years
Do not have any shadowing, unfortunately
Can we even talk a little bit about how someone with a 97th %ile MCAT score and a 3.95 GPA is wondering if he or she even "[has] a chance."?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, what the hell are people smoking on here? Of course you have a 'shot'. You have a shot better than 97% of other premeds out there, along with a thick stack of ECs to write about.

SDN, you're killing me.

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 2, 2016
It's a sign of a school's miscalculation, nothing more.
I feel like it's wrong to fault a school for over enrolling. No admissions committee can predict so many students just happening to really like their school that particular year. It happens even at the very established schools.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I feel like it's wrong to fault a school for over enrolling. No admissions committee can predict so many students just happening to really like their school that particular year. It happens even at the very established schools.
No blame. Just a miscalculation.
Even JPL and Lockheed Martin couldn't get on the same page with inches and metric (to the tune of 125 million).

Last edited by a moderator:

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm definitely concerned that this year might be the worst so far since everyone might be trying to apply while their old MCAT scores are still valid. I think I'll just soldier on and try to get the primary submitted as soon as possible, since it seems I have a slight chance of getting in this cycle if I'm strategic about where to apply.

On that note, off the top of your head, can you folks think of schools that might be appropriate for someone in my situation? I came up with a preliminary list last year but a lot has surely changed since then, so I'd really appreciate hearing your experiences on the matter.
Just troll the SDN threads on where CA Asians are successful. I heard many find success in the Midwest and East.

Rolling admissions is a factor to weigh. Honestly, it's super complicated. But you have to consider that some schools will have already doled out 50 - 100% of their interviews by the time they get your secondary.

Reactions: psp251

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 2, 2016
No, just fired.
I find that very unfortunate because it's not something they could have helped. I'm sure they followed usual protocol. Their school just happened to be very popular that year which is not something they could have prevented.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I find that very unfortunate because it's not something they could have helped. I'm sure they followed usual protocol. Their school just happened to be very popular that year which is not something they could have prevented.
It's more complicated than that. A good algorithm will accommodate these variables.
The admissions dean gets a risk tolerance level as well as outcome goals from the Dean/trustees/president.
Executing this is what he/she is getting paid for.

Reactions: Goro and lexswift

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Touro-NY is apparently trying to beat their record, alas.

I only say that because every year there is a spectacular over-accept. This year it was Wisconsin.
It would be hard to beat "The" Ohio St. miscalculation from a few years back and (since you mention it) Stanford's big over-accept about 3 years ago.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Last edited:
OP
P

psp251

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you everyone for your feedback! Sorry if this thread seemed obnoxious on my part :( I didn't realize until very recently that the MCAT was actually only valid 3 years from the date of matriculation, not the date of application. That threw my plans off by a complete year, causing me to scramble to figure things out.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
He could tell you, but then he's have to reject you.
I don't think it would matter since he's already in med school :naughty:

Reactions: solitarius

precisiongraphic

2+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2015
Status
Non-Student

Ohio State takes a lot of OOS esp Cali and likes high MCAT. Also they interview and accept up to 3/31 so you're not late.

Reactions: psp251

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Can we even talk a little bit about how someone with a 97th %ile MCAT score and a 3.95 GPA is wondering if he or she even "[has] a chance."?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, what the hell are people smoking on here? Of course you have a 'shot'. You have a shot better than 97% of other premeds out there, along with a thick stack of ECs to write about.

SDN, you're killing me.
SDN tends to take good ideas and suggestions, push them to the extreme, and state them as if they are absolute laws of applying. Favorites that I've seen and heard contested by admissions and actual applicants include:
  • You must complete and return secondaries within a couple weeks or they'll think you're not very interested in them and it hurts your odds.
  • MCAT below 30? You're going DO!
  • You're toast if you submit your primary any later than early July (a personal favorite of mine since MSAR shows many schools don't start interviewing until August/Sept or even Oct)
  • Must pour hundreds of hours into your essays to stand a chance
  • Must have substantial clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, research, leadership and interesting hobbies to stand a chance. 300 hours of hospital volunteerism but only 50 outside a clinic? Gap year time!
You get the gist.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Thank you everyone for your feedback! Sorry if this thread seemed obnoxious on my part :( I didn't realize until very recently that the MCAT was actually only valid 3 years from the date of matriculation, not the date of application. That threw my plans off by a complete year, causing me to scramble to figure things out.
Some schools only accept 2 year of MCAT

Reactions: psp251 and gyngyn

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Unfortunately, SDN extremism continues into allo & beyond.

Unfortunately, your allopathic classmates are all like this.

Fortunately, you'll see how the most prepared future doctors operate.

Reactions: Espressso