FA pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemical X

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the pharm covered in FA sufficient for step 1? I'm a little over a week into my studying (with only 3 weeks left), and my strategy with pharm so far has been to try to learn the drugs covered in FA for each topic, supplementing with katzung and lippincott pharm. My goal has been to cover the mechanism, uses, and toxicities for drugs covered in FA. Originally I hoped to study from Lippincott's for pharm, but I'm finding I don't have enough time to cover all the drugs in there and a lot of them aren't even mentioned in FA. I'm not doing so hot on Q-bank pharm though. Is knowing the drugs in FA enough, or should I be trying to cover additional pharm material?

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard that FA is enough - if you know EVERYTHING that is in there cold

I'm a little over a week into my studying (with only 3 weeks left), and my strategy with pharm so far has been to try to learn the drugs covered in FA for each topic, supplementing with katzung and lippincott pharm. My goal has been to cover the mechanism, uses, and toxicities for drugs covered in FA. Originally I hoped to study from Lippincott's for pharm, but I'm finding I don't have enough time to cover all the drugs in there and a lot of them aren't even mentioned in FA.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. FA pharm really was sufficient for step 1 pharm (at least for my test), you should only turn to other materials to help you remember and understand the drugs better. Also, I found lippincott's pharm to not be terribly useful, so don't beat yourself up over not covering all of it.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. FA pharm really was sufficient for step 1 pharm (at least for my test), you should only turn to other materials to help you remember and understand the drugs better. Also, I found lippincott's pharm to not be terribly useful, so don't beat yourself up over not covering all of it.

IMO I think FA is plenty as long as you really understand the mechanism and how that relates to the use/sides beyond just memorizing the lists (this is based on me doing a few NBME's, UWorld, and a few other practice q sources)