Facebook during app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone deactivate theirs or change their name?

Most people I know did deactivate or change their names. I want to know what the SDN community thinks about this!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you do that? You could just make your settings private?

Reactions: 1 user
LOL, I'm deactivating soon so that other people's acceptances don't depress me.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just make your settings private. If you do it right, people who are not friends with you will not be able to see anything more than 1 profile picture and 1 cover photo. I've never understood the people who just change their name on FB, when anyone who has your primary email address can find you if you don't have the right settings to avoid that.

Or, you know, just don't put things that could come back to bite you out on the internet.

Reactions: 8 users
So what's the consensus then? That we should privatize our facebook as much as possible?

Just make your settings private. If you do it right, people who are not friends with you will not be able to see anything more than 1 profile picture and 1 cover photo. I've never understood the people who just change their name on FB, when anyone who has your primary email address can find you if you don't have the right settings to avoid that.

Or, you know, just don't put things that could come back to bite you out on the internet.

Hah. Did you know if you change your name on Facebook, and you happen to search for yourself (or anyone else, on fb, using the real name), it'll link you to posts before the name change and direct you to your current profile. Waste of time.

Can medical schools somehow get through privacy settings?

Hah. Did you know if you change your name on Facebook, and you happen to search for yourself (or anyone else, on fb, using the real name), it'll link you to posts before the name change and direct you to your current profile. Waste of time.

Yeah. That's why I don't understand why pretty much every MS4 at my school changes their FB name during app season. Unless you know how to maximally privatize your Facebook, people can still find you by searching your real name.

No

I deactivated. Nothing is bad on there but I rather med schools not go on there.

Remember, remember the rescindence of November

I currently have a science-y profile picture and cover photo. No photos of me doing something idiotic exist. No naked photos of me exist. No status updates can be seen by non-friends. Come take a look, med schools! :p

Just delete it. Life is way better without Facebook.

Members don't see this ad :)
lmao oh lord.... just google searched my name... found my myspace. *sigh* if ADCOMS had looked, they would have really seen an eye-opening URL to my page. needless to say, i have since then deleted my myspace and my facebook URL is worlds more appropriate.

what do you have on your Google+? The only thing I have on mine is my youtube and they will just see me hitting PRs in the squat bench and deadlift... i'm sure they will be impressed and automatically accept me.

what do you have on your Google+? The only thing I have on mine is my youtube and they will just see me hitting PRs in the squat bench and deadlift... i'm sure they will be impressed and automatically accept me.
Nothing really, but they can see what videos you've liked and commented on. Would rather they don't see all that.

Alright, after some solid investigative work (investigating my own self) and arduous account privatization exercises, I am almost off the grid. ;)

Okay, this kinda has me paranoid now. I'm trying to figure out how to privatize my Google+ but its more difficult than I imagined lol.

Why not be safe, right? And a few months off the grid certainly isn't going to hurt anyone...if anything it will probably improve your general efficiency

Don't mean to hijack a thread but how common is it for adcoms to check an applicants Facebook or google their name?

Don't mean to hijack a thread but how common is it for adcoms to check an applicants Facebook or google their name?
probably going to vary school to school and even member to member.

I do a google/social media quick glance on every applicant that comes to interview here. Smaller body of applicants here obviously, but I am not alone. It is so easy to do, there is no good reason not to.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I do a google/social media quick glance on every applicant that comes to interview here. Smaller body of applicants here obviously, but I am not alone. It is so easy to do, there is no good reason not to.

Is it a quick scan for any red flags, then? Why do you find it relevant to do so, what are you looking for?

Is it a quick scan for any red flags, then? Why do you find it relevant to do so, what are you looking for?

I am interested in the person that we are looking to match. Your internet footprint is just another piece of your background. Obviously I want to catch the big red-flags, which you do pretty easily, history of illegal stuff, extremely unprofessional stuff etc. Why is it relevant? We are a 7 year program and take two residents per year and invest a ton in our residents. In medical school, you are investing a lot of time and money into each student. I want the best academic people I can find, but we could overfill our medical school and our residency with people that fit that bill. Sometimes you find out interesting stuff beyond their academics in their online footprint.

In general - no. Be careful with your privacy settings and make sure that you restrict things to your friends only and avoid allowing big networks, like say your undergrad school's network.

I deactivated. Nothing is bad on there but I rather med schools not go on there.

Agree. Doesn't matter if you are as clean as a whistle. If someone takes something the wrong way or has a difference of opinion about something shared there, well, who knows that bias wouldn't enter into it. So Doc Synthesis is right. Might as well play it safe all things considered.