Facial hair??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Facial hair?

• Yes

Votes: 66 71.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 28.3%

• Total voters

laxman310

TheManWithAPlan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a gotee and was wondering if I should take it off for my clerkship. I think it makes me look a little older. Whats the general consensus? Obviously I would keep it well groomed and maintain excellent hygiene. I'm thinking more in terms of making good impressions.

Members don't see this ad.

I sport a goatee and have never had any comments made about it to my face or in my evals. On the contrary, I've actually been commented on my appearance and dress fairly often.

I think as long as you keep it well-groomed as you indicated it shouldn't be a concern at all.

I think as long as you keep it well-groomed as you indicated it shouldn't be a concern at all.

I agree. The guys in my group all grew beards for OB and sported bow ties and a mustache for psych. We went bare for surgery, as they are much more strict about making you wear extra gear on your head if you've got a lot of facial hair. Gotta keep it groomed though, can't just let it slob down your neck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with a stache...you can't go wrong with a nice handlebar mustache.

236427123_9f9908f23f_o.jpg

If he can wear that caterpillar above his lip as a Yankee, I think you should be just fine with a well-trimmed goatee as a med student.

Theres this doctor that frequently visits the ED for consults. He has really messy facial hair.

Reminds me of when the salvation army gives suits to BUMS.

I have a gotee and was wondering if I should take it off for my clerkship. I think it makes me look a little older. Whats the general consensus? Obviously I would keep it well groomed and maintain excellent hygiene. I'm thinking more in terms of making good impressions.

It can be a pain if it prevents you from wearing certain airborne precaution masks with a decent seal. It would be a drag to have to find a full hood every time you need to go into such a patient's room. Other than that, I see no downside if you keep it conservative (and if you are a dude).

Unless youre over 30 or routinely wear jean shorts, either grow a full beard or shave it off...it's not 1999 anymore and just like rap-metal, goatees are not good in any shape or form.

Unless youre over 30 or routinely wear jean shorts, either grow a full beard or shave it off...it's not 1999 anymore and just like rap-metal, goatees are not good in any shape or form.

Looks like someone never got past the peachfuzz stage.

I agree. The guys in my group all grew beards for OB and sported bow ties and a mustache for psych. We went bare for surgery, as they are much more strict about making you wear extra gear on your head if you've got a lot of facial hair. Gotta keep it groomed though, can't just let it slob down your neck.

:confused: I don't know a single guy in our entire class who did either one of these things for either of those rotations...what on earth is the connection between ob and beards?

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused: I don't know a single guy in our entire class who did either one of these things for either of those rotations...what on earth is the connection between ob and beards?

Nothing in particular, we could've done the same for medicine or whatever. Just male bonding I guess :laugh:

Hmm I like the perpetually stubbly look like McDreamy and House. Just on the borderline where people wonder whether they tend to it or not. A little on the neck but not so sloppy as to be called out on it

I suppose if it's kept trimmed and conservative, it would be okay. However, studies show that clean-shaven men perform significantly better in sales than those with any type of facial hair; and, I'm pretty sure 3rd & 4th years are times when "selling" yourself is certainly happening...

My $0.02

236427123_9f9908f23f_o.jpg

If he can wear that caterpillar above his lip as a Yankee, I think you should be just fine with a well-trimmed goatee as a med student.

NICE. Don't forget, Donnie Baseball had a 'stache too.

The other day, I watched an attending call a resident over (semi-private, but w/in earshot of those... who knew something was up :rolleyes: ) who was in the midst of applying for cards fellowships and de-pants'd him for not shaving and not having a tie on. He just happened to be in the wrong place, on the wrong day, at the wrong time. Double bonus... the attending is on THE committee. Nothing was said after, but needless to say, that resident has been lookin' sharp since. 400 applicants, 40 interviews, 3 spots!

Remember, who are you trying to impress. A. Nobody... great! have at it, wear what you want, shave or not. B. If looking to get a residency spot or dare I say fellowship in the future...., shave it high and tight, don't rock the boat, color your nose brown and say yessss sir/maam.

Whatever.

The other day, I watched an attending call a resident over (semi-private, but w/in earshot of those... who knew something was up :rolleyes: ) who was in the midst of applying for cards fellowships and de-pants'd him for not shaving and not having a tie on. He just happened to be in the wrong place, on the wrong day, at the wrong time. Double bonus... the attending is on THE committee. Nothing was said after, but needless to say, that resident has been lookin' sharp since. 400 applicants, 40 interviews, 3 spots!

Remember, who are you trying to impress. A. Nobody... great! have at it, wear what you want, shave or not. B. If looking to get a residency spot or dare I say fellowship in the future...., shave it high and tight, don't rock the boat, color your nose brown and say yessss sir/maam.

Whatever.
Well said. I've had similar experiences in other jobs I've had (professional, but not med-school related).

a well trimmed beard definitely makes you look more mature, and in eyes of patient a well experience doctor and immediate trust ( which you might not be lol)

Professionalism aside; If you are even remotely attractive, a full beard, trimmed to about 1/2 an inch (and well conditioned) is absolutely beautiful. Unless you are very ginger, then clean shaven or designer stuble is best;)

It seems that for me, my physical condition also dictates my facial hair. if im in great shape, im more likely to show up with stubble or a goat. if im feelin fat and gross, then i wont' show up with stubble. makes my face fatter and i feel grosser. hope this helps.

It seems that for me, my physical condition also dictates my facial hair. if im in great shape, im more likely to show up with stubble or a goat. if im feelin fat and gross, then i wont' show up with stubble. makes my face fatter and i feel grosser. hope this helps.

Not to sound stereotypical, I have observed that black people look more fly when they spot some kinda clean-cut facial hair. Thier white counterparts look better when clean shaved.

proph...

Not to sound stereotypical, I have observed that black people look more fly when they spot some kinda clean-cut facial hair. Thier white counterparts look better when clean shaved.

proph...
I was thinking the same thing. Black people tend to look better with some facial hair.

I would disagree about black men looking better with facial hair.

I think it all has to do with your facial shape. Some people look good with facial hair, some don't. And a bad shape to your facial hair can make a chiseled face look fat. Conversely, a good shape to facial hair can make a round face look more "cut". And even if the shape is right, the length can have the same effects.

I recommend NOT just shaping/cutting your facial hair in a style you want. I would ask someone you know to be honest - brutally so in fact - to get a good opinion as to whether facial hair or a particular shape of facial hair looks good on you.

One of my classmates grew facial hair last year. Although we weren't particularly close, he knew I would be honest so he asked my opinion. I told him the truth - the goatee he chose made his face look short, drew the eye away from his good points on his face, and didn't suit him (I suggested a different shape, but his facial hair didn't grow well in that shape). I told him to get rid of it. He did. Another classmate tried the same shape - and on him it did the opposite and suited him quite well. And I told him so.

Don't go for fad. Ask someone for a brutally honest opinion who can give it to you without being influenced by what you looked like before.

I wish I could grow a full beard, but unfortunately its just not in the genes from either side of the family. It's especially unfortunate because I suffer from a severe case of babyface. No joke, I was carded for a rated R movie the other day. I'm regularly assumed to be a shadowing college pre-med, even with the white coat on, which makes it very difficult to have frank and honest conversations with patients.

Maybe I should just pick up a coke habit and pile on those wrinkles.

That is definitely not pleasant, and certainly not suitable for viewing when other eyes might be watching. I recommend you remove it before someone reports it.

Who suggested that goatees fell out of style in 2000. Do you guys agree that goatees are out of style?

I don't. The 90s popularized the goatee look, but it didn't just drop out of fashion in my view.

I occasionally rock one myself (if not the clean or stubble look).

The only time you should have a goatee on clerkships is if:

1. You have no chin and are trying to hide it, or

2. You have a double chin and you're trying to hide it.

Goatees may seem OK, but it is an unnecessary risk to take when there are several attendings as well as patients who may find it distasteful, dirty, or take it as a sign of your "rough edges" or unprofessionalism.

Goatees may seem OK, but it is an unnecessary risk to take when there are several attendings as well as patients who may find it distasteful, dirty, or take it as a sign of your "rough edges" or unprofessionalism.

That's absurd. I've worn a goatee for all of my clerkships and have received perfect scores on my evaluations for professional appearance. In fact I've been complimented by residents and fellows multiple times for appearing professional and have never fielded a single comment on my facial hair.

Medicine is about competency and confidence, not facial hair. A well-trimmed beard or goatee won't make you look like some dirty hippy or punk rocker if you carry yourself with some maturity.

That's absurd. I've worn a goatee for all of my clerkships and have received perfect scores on my evaluations for professional appearance. In fact I've been complimented by residents and fellows multiple times for appearing professional and have never fielded a single comment on my facial hair.

Medicine is about competency and confidence, not facial hair. A well-trimmed beard or goatee won't make you look like some dirty hippy or punk rocker if you carry yourself with some maturity.

I have largely the same facial hair style as DoctorFunk. While I pull it off better than he does, he looks better in a tuxedo.

But I also do a better job shaving than he does. My technique leaves no red spots, irritation, or ingrown hairs, and always a smooth finish. Overall there is a clean, dynamic contrast between my cheeks and my chin. (not that his face is irritated and stubbly, but I'm just better at it)

Unfortunately, overall, DoctorFunk is stronger, taller, more popular and smarter than I am, so he pretty much wins.

Either way, neither of us have ever had any problems on clerkships with our facial hairs. It's never even been an issue. Except when the chairman of pediatrics fondled my chin and told me it was growing very nicely.

I have largely the same facial hair style as DoctorFunk. While I pull it off better than he does, he looks better in a tuxedo.

But I also do a better job shaving than he does. My technique leaves no red spots, irritation, or ingrown hairs, and always a smooth finish. Overall there is a clean, dynamic contrast between my cheeks and my chin. (not that his face is irritated and stubbly, but I'm just better at it)

Unfortunately, overall, DoctorFunk is stronger, taller, more popular and smarter than I am, so he pretty much wins.

Either way, neither of us have ever had any problems on clerkships with our facial hairs. It's never even been an issue. Except when the chairman of pediatrics fondled my chin and told me it was growing very nicely.

You shave your head too, yeah?

Thinking ahead. Also good. You'll make a great surgeo... oh wait. Emergency med... you don't need to think. ;)

fixed for you.

(and yes, I AM going into EM, so I'm allowed to make that joke).

LOL! I assumed you were going to say something about ortho and not thinking.

as long as you're able to figure out how to answer our pages, i could care less ;)

100% true on all counts. We should also mention that this is the same chairman of pediatrics that has a beard down to his belly button (no kidding). I guess he must have stopped following the facial hair rules after he became one of the more successful academic pediatricians in the U.S.

100% true on all counts. We should also mention that this is the same chairman of pediatrics that has a beard down to his belly button (no kidding). I guess he must have stopped following the facial hair rules after he became one of the more successful academic pediatricians in the U.S.

That and his religion sort of requires it. I think. That day he fondled my goatee...I so wanted to fondle his in return, but I figured that would be both some sort of cultural AND professional no-no.

i was trained in a system in which a student can be failed outright on account of poor grooming and excessive facial hair. Your understanding of medicine will not help you if you wear a repulsive goatee or stache. Its all about attitude. You will be axed by the Professor.

I was really hoping that once I was out of the silly business corporate world people that think having facial hair or being anything but clean shaven is "unprofessional" would cease to exist.

I've never heard something so ridiculous as those who think a person cannot have a well groomed beard, etc...if they so choose.

Usually, I've noticed the people that don't like beards are those that cannot grow them.

I dyed my goatee today. Blue on the sides with a white racing stripe in the middle.

yes. you will meet one this fall.

2, because remember on the day that his mentor speaks, he deferred the bowtie to the mentor and wore a regular tie.

One of my interns occasionally wore a bowtie as well. I also saw attendings on peds wearing them (probably decreased the risk of getting strangled by babies).

2, because remember on the day that his mentor speaks, he deferred the bowtie to the mentor and wore a regular tie.

One of my interns occasionally wore a bowtie as well. I also saw attendings on peds wearing them (probably decreased the risk of getting strangled by babies).

One of the other M4s wears them exclusively as well.