Fafsa - When should I file? When DId you file?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just trying to get a feel for what I should do when it comes to the Fafsa form. I have already been accpeted to schools. When should I fill out the fafsa by and when will or have you guys filled yours yet? Thanks!! :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

Bigsheed920 said:
Hey Guys,

Just trying to get a feel for what I should do when it comes to the Fafsa form. I have already been accpeted to schools. When should I fill out the fafsa by and when will or have you guys filled yours yet? Thanks!! :D :D

Try to fill it out by March 1st. I think that's the priority deadline for a lot of schools (or maybe it's march 15th). I've already done mine.

I just filed mine last week. I think Tinkerbelle's right about the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
do we have to correct the estimates (after we complete our taxes) by a certain date? I don't want to do my taxes.

Also, did you guys file online or paper version? Any preferences or benefits? And for NY state schools...........does anyone know whether the TAP application is separate?

Bigsheed920 said:
Also, did you guys file online or paper version? Any preferences or benefits? And for NY state schools...........does anyone know whether the TAP application is separate?

Every school I interviewed at told me it would be best to get it done before January was over with.... not sure why. I did mine the first week of February like a true slacker... in that regard. But, I believe the deadline is at the beginning of March.

@Bigsheed920: You will get results much faster if you use to online version, so this is what I would recommend.

@OtherGuy You have to fix the estimates. I initially did estimates, but it didnt give me my official EFC until I confirmed them as being correct estimates.

fun8stuff said:
Every school I interviewed at told me it would be best to get it done before January was over with.... not sure why. I did mine the first week of February like a true slacker... in that regard. But, I believe the deadline is at the beginning of March.

@Bigsheed920: You will get results much faster if you use to online version, so this is what I would recommend.

@OtherGuy You have to fix the estimates. I initially did estimates, but it didnt give me my official EFC until I confirmed them as being correct estimates.

This brings up a question that I had. I also wrote in estimates and now have my taxes complete. The estimates were pretty dead on though so I'm wondering if I still have to go in and correct if, say, my estimated income was 6600 but i actually made 6432?

Thanks everybody, this was the last thing I was thinking about.

Bigsheed920 said:

The online version gets processed much faster than the paper version......

Fill out your FAFSA asap! Alot of the funds are limited so its on a first come, first serve basis!

I filled mine out Jan. 12 :D

-tx

Anyone else...........throw in ur $0.02......

For those doing the FAFSA on the web... There is a 2005-2006 pre application worksheet and it recommends that you and a parent apply for a pin number that allows you to sign your forms electronically. This may help if time is an issue.

I filed the FAFSA, Need Access, and PROFILE on monday, only because Emory has Feb. 15th priority deadline.

cammy1313 said:
This brings up a question that I had. I also wrote in estimates and now have my taxes complete. The estimates were pretty dead on though so I'm wondering if I still have to go in and correct if, say, my estimated income was 6600 but i actually made 6432?

Probably better to play it safe and make the corrections... of course, I estimated how much money I have in the bank and I don't plan on changing that value! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
samboo said:
For those doing the FAFSA on the web... There is a 2005-2006 pre application worksheet and it recommends that you and a parent apply for a pin number that allows you to sign your forms electronically. This may help if time is an issue.

here is the website, www.pin.ed.gov

samboo said:
here is the website, www.pin.ed.gov

unlike for the undergrad FAFSA, parents don't need to sign the FAFSA for graduate students. at least, i don't think so. Am I wrong here? It didn't ask me for a parent's signature, and it was processed yesterday.

Vot iz dis?

Is Emory unusual in the earliness of their request? I guess priority deadline means when they would LIKE to have the info (in YOUR best interests albeit); is this correct? I submitted my FAFSA already but all of this rigamoroll about PROFILE and Need Access is beyond me. I guess what I'm asking is, the "finish your financial aid applications before mid-February" advice applies mostly to FAFSA or also to the supplementary financial aid applications?

ramblinwreckie said:
I filed the FAFSA, Need Access, and PROFILE on monday, only because Emory has Feb. 15th priority deadline.

what if you haven't been accepted yet?? do you fill out fafsa for the schools you are pending at?! :confused:

Dr. Donkey said:
Vot iz dis?

Is Emory unusual in the earliness of their request? I guess priority deadline means when they would LIKE to have the info (in YOUR best interests albeit); is this correct? I submitted my FAFSA already but all of this rigamoroll about PROFILE and Need Access is beyond me. I guess what I'm asking is, the "finish your financial aid applications before mid-February" advice applies mostly to FAFSA or also to the supplementary financial aid applications?

"We recommend that you complete your PROFILE and FAFSA by February 15, 2005." - in an email from emory's financial aid office

Emory's priority deadline is unusually early (i think). Most are due prolly in March or soon after you are accepted.

I actually missed the 'priority' deadline for submitting the FAFSA by a few days for the Cleveland Clinic. But, I don't think it's a big deal. Submitting everything after the 'priority' deadline isn't gonna make a big difference.

I only submitted the PROFILE or Need Access to schools I've been accepted to. I'd recommend going ahead and doing the PROFILE and/or Need Access right now since you prolly have all the info you need. Don't worry too much that they're a little late (if they are). They're not too painful. ;)

miscellany said:
what if you haven't been accepted yet?? do you fill out fafsa for the schools you are pending at?! :confused:

yeah... i have the same issue. that's why i haven't filled it out yet, cuz i didn't get in anywhere. :( should i just fill it out for the schools that i'm waiting on...? (cuz i think we need to tell them what schools right?)
thanks

ardemus said:
yeah... i have the same issue. that's why i haven't filled it out yet, cuz i didn't get in anywhere. :( should i just fill it out for the schools that i'm waiting on...? (cuz i think we need to tell them what schools right?)
thanks

I submitted to the one school that accepted me and two others that have me on the waitlist. Doesn't take any extra time or money so I say submit it. Can't see how it would hurt you.

miscellany said:

Def fill out the FAFSA for all schools that you are really considering. I am a reapplicant and last year I had not been accepted at this time and was advised to do the FAFSA anyway incase I was accepted. That way they already have your info and it will not be a struggle to get an award letter.

As for the parental info, check with your schools. Some of mine require the parental info in addition to mine for school funds even though for the government you are considered indepentant.

cammy1313 said:

Yes, make the update. Most schools will ask for your W-2's and your 1040's at some point and they should match up. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with the wrath of the Financial-Aid-Person-From-Hell! And close enough doesn't usually cut it with accountants.

ok fun8stuff, I am trying this ipod bit under your link, hope it works!!! ;)

ramblinwreckie said:
is it just me, or was that Need Access form overkill? what a pain in the ass. like a financial full-body cavity search. :laugh:

Originally Posted by ramblinwreckie
unlike for the undergrad FAFSA, parents don't need to sign the FAFSA for graduate students. at least, i don't think so. Am I wrong here? It didn't ask me for a parent's signature, and it was processed yesterday.
the same thing happened for me. while filling it out, it said to have your parents request a PIN, but when it was time to submit my FAFSA, it didn't ask for their PIN, and yet it was processed the next day. weird.

Originally Posted by miscellany
what if you haven't been accepted yet?? do you fill out fafsa for the schools you are pending at?!
yes, absolutely. this will greatly expedite your financial aid situation upon acceptance.

alrighty then... gotta get on it! thanks so much guys!! :thumbup: :)

here's hoping we stragglers get in this cycle!

What about NY state applicants........does anyone know whether TAP has a separate application? Thanks.

Dank you very much!

ramblinwreckie said:
"We recommend that you complete your PROFILE and FAFSA by February 15, 2005." - in an email from emory's financial aid office

Emory's priority deadline is unusually early (i think). Most are due prolly in March or soon after you are accepted.

I actually missed the 'priority' deadline for submitting the FAFSA by a few days for the Cleveland Clinic. But, I don't think it's a big deal. Submitting everything after the 'priority' deadline isn't gonna make a big difference.

I only submitted the PROFILE or Need Access to schools I've been accepted to. I'd recommend going ahead and doing the PROFILE and/or Need Access right now since you prolly have all the info you need. Don't worry too much that they're a little late (if they are). They're not too painful. ;)

Code Brown said:
Yes, make the update. Most schools will ask for your W-2's and your 1040's at some point and they should match up. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with the wrath of the Financial-Aid-Person-From-Hell! And close enough doesn't usually cut it with accountants.

Thanks, Code Brown. I'll definately do that.