Fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mysteree

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question about FAFSA, as it relates to how much or little money we have in our bank accounts. Do you guys think the amount one has in their savings account will count against them? I was working for a few years before applying so I have a few $ saved, but I also have previous loans from undergrad. I don't want them to see some $ and think we shouldn't give person X financial aid. Any ideas, suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't matter much, unless you've got a small fortune in your bank account. Most schools still offer the max in loans (federal and private) to all students, and then leave it up to the students to determine how much they want to take out.

thanks ItsGavinC

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how d-schools verify how much we do have in our bank accounts? It seems like an individual would be able to hide it.

Mysteree said:
I've got a question about FAFSA, as it relates to how much or little money we have in our bank accounts. Do you guys think the amount one has in their savings account will count against them? I was working for a few years before applying so I have a few $ saved, but I also have previous loans from undergrad. I don't want them to see some $ and think we shouldn't give person X financial aid. Any ideas, suggestions?

having a large W-2 hurts much more than having say $30,000 in the bank. Theres a web site that allows you to compute it just like FAFSA and thats how it works. Weird.

Like if you add alot of money to your savings the EFC barely changes. But change that W-2 and EFC shoots up.

EyeAmCommi said:
Does anyone know how d-schools verify how much we do have in our bank accounts? It seems like an individual would be able to hide it.

credit checks show it and all they need is your soc sec which you give them.