Failed 3 pre reqs!! (INCLUDING ENGLISH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gossip_girl_xoxo

Study while others sleep
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds crazy right?
Well it's a true story.
I managed to fail chem, physics and english (kinda funny because I'm a writer).
This brings my overall GPA for freshman year to.... 2.06
I'm taking all the classes over the summer. My reason was failing was a combination of thinking it would be easy/ some unavoidable life events.
I've ruled out MD because as you can see I really need grade replacement.
The only thing bothering me is that I was torn between dental and medical but I guess this ruled out dental because they don't do grade replacement :(

Members don't see this ad.

Did you just finish your freshman year?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's three classes. Retake, do well the rest of your undergrad career, and nobody will batt an eye. All you have to say is "I was young and stupid."

What I'm saying is this is no way kills your chances for MD, DO, or Dental.

Reactions: 2 users
Although DO's allow grade replacement, the F's still count as a red flag to them. It doesn't completely kill your chances, and you're going to have to do a lot of explaining and even probably a lot of EC's to show your dedication to be in medicine. Perhaps you may need to plan for some years off to boost your EC's.

If you were URM, then you have more of a buffer. If not, then be prepared to work extremely hard. Not saying it will kill your chances but it would severely lower them.

Replace "it doesn't completely kill your chances," from the previous post with "it doesn't kill your chances at all as long you retake, get your head out of your ass and work your butt off the next three years in undergrad." Then replace "you're going to have to do a lot of explaining and even probably a lot of EC's," with what Nysor_bttw said above when he said "all you have to say is 'I was young and stupid'" Past that you'll be fine for D.O., its a different story for M.D. as they have different standards (but you can post/research the allo forums for more info).

So remember, just get your head out of your butt for the rest of undergrad and you should be fine. Regardless of what the reasons for failure were "I thought it was going to be easy (maturity issue, grow up)" or "unavoidable life events (learn to deal with things and be able to stick to your priorities...counseling helps!)" you need to keep your head in the game. Remember to reach out if things get too tough!

Reactions: 1 user
You need As.....if you have a 2.0 with 3 fails that means your other grades weren't great either

You're not far enough in your education to even decide yet just continue taking classes and do better. Plus med schools love upward trends. You can still hit a 3.5+ with a sub 2.0 from freshmen year. Do well in class, take mcat, worry about applications, become dr. In that order don't worry about med school this early worry about your classes

And for the love of God stop watching gossip girl.

Hello im in this same boat. I graduated with a BFA of graphic design with a 3.5 gpa, tons of volunteering/shadowing exp and predental member.. got over to the sciences and didnt do well at all. For one, i was not accustomed to the approach one must have in the face of sciences. I started off getting a couple C's, due to poor study habits and then faced a terrible point in my life, which I'll briefly explain...this led to me failing physics and not even attending my lectures, led to 2 more F's. My mind wasn't ready. My sgpa is sub 2.0 currently, also had some very bad experiences at the time (car repos, lights off, no money, hell I even had a time when I had no lights and only cold pasta with cold tomato sauce and a shot of wine for my gf and I for the night...in Miami,FL with no air condition (90+ degrees) while still having to work and support myself, no family help. So things do happen. Ive taken 24 credits of science. What I have is:

Bio1: C+ (never studied)
BioL: C (studied last minute+terrible TA and immature group from HS)
Chem1: C (crammed)
Chem1L: C+ (studied last minute)
Bio2:F (never stepped foot in the room)
Chem2:F (W the first time, then never stepped foot in the room; same sem as bio2)
Bio2L: C+ (studied last minute)
Chem2L: B+ (put some effort in but last minute)
Phys:F (Gave up, professor lost my damn exam and blamed me stating I picked it up, I never knew where is office was...)
PhysL: A (Easiest course in the history of all mankind)

I had a pattern...I never applied myself due to poor study habits+depression. However, I aim to get my stuff together. Im retaking all of the lectures that I've taken and aim to get A's and my school offers a forgiveness for 3 grades which will aid in them not being averaged at my university at least, they will be wiped off. Although dental schools will see this, I honestly did face some terrible trials during my academic year and can explain in detail many stories if need be. So I've been over this summer, learning my best learning style and trying to become as efficient as possible with studying... reading my chem book from chap 1-7, learning how to take notes and understand CONCEPTS and how to apply them to my problems. I now work almost FT and my fiance and I are in better shape and live alone, as opposed to our previous living condition: 5 people that didnt get along in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apt. Also I work for a Dentist so i have clinical private practice exp (6+ months at 9 hrs per day doing xrays and ins verification). I still have some ways to go, another 8+ courses at the age of 29. What do you guys think. Thanks for the replies.

Hello im in this same boat. I graduated with a BFA of graphic design with a 3.5 gpa, tons of volunteering/shadowing exp and predental member.. got over to the sciences and didnt do well at all. For one, i was not accustomed to the approach one must have in the face of sciences. I started off getting a couple C's, due to poor study habits and then faced a terrible point in my life, which I'll briefly explain...this led to me failing physics and not even attending my lectures, led to 2 more F's. My mind wasn't ready. My sgpa is sub 2.0 currently, also had some very bad experiences at the time (car repos, lights off, no money, hell I even had a time when I had no lights and only cold pasta with cold tomato sauce and a shot of wine for my gf and I for the night...in Miami,FL with no air condition (90+ degrees) while still having to work and support myself, no family help. So things do happen. Ive taken 24 credits of science. What I have is:

Chem2:F (W the first time, then never stepped foot in the room; same sem as bio2)
Phys:F (Gave up, professor lost my damn exam and blamed me stating I picked it up, I never knew where is office was...)

I had a pattern...I never applied myself due to poor study habits+depression. However, I aim to get my stuff together. Im retaking all of the lectures that I've taken and aim to get A's and my school offers a forgiveness for 3 grades which will aid in them not being averaged at my university at least, they will be wiped off. Although dental schools will see this, I honestly did face some terrible trials during my academic year and can explain in detail many stories if need be. So I've been over this summer, learning my best learning style and trying to become as efficient as possible with studying... reading my chem book from chap 1-7, learning how to take notes and understand CONCEPTS and how to apply them to my problems. I now work almost FT and my fiance and I are in better shape and live alone, as opposed to our previous living condition: 5 people that didnt get along in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apt. Also I work for a Dentist so i have clinical private practice exp (6+ months at 9 hrs per day doing xrays and ins verification). I still have some ways to go, another 8+ courses at the age of 29. What do you guys think. Thanks for the replies.

You need to get with other students and figure out how to change your study habits in order to make better grades. I wouldn't keep signing up for a lot classes until you get that figured out.

I would retake all the courses you got a C or below in. You should probably just take them 1 at a time until you are positive you can maintain A's.

I understand there are many reasons you have had trouble in school. I am your age and have had many similar issues. However, no matter what issues you have had to overcome you have to show that ability to succeed in medical school. Schools are only going to take students that can pass rigorous courses and exams.

At this point in time you have not show that. I am sure you can, but you need to get your study habits figured out and knock out some of these classes with a better mastery of the material.

Good luck

Can't you see the problem here? Btw, your chance is slim with dental school. This is pre-osteopathic thread. If you want to come here, retake all classes with C and under.

Thanks guys. I thought this was a low gpa thread, got caught up with the responses here. Sorry

Sounds crazy right?
Well it's a true story.
I managed to fail chem, physics and english (kinda funny because I'm a writer).
This brings my overall GPA for freshman year to.... 2.06
I'm taking all the classes over the summer. My reason was failing was a combination of thinking it would be easy/ some unavoidable life events.
I've ruled out MD because as you can see I really need grade replacement.
The only thing bothering me is that I was torn between dental and medical but I guess this ruled out dental because they don't do grade replacement :(

Stop watching whatever youre watching......... Instead...... I heard Korean Drama is the new thing. You should watch "Boys Over Flowers" :nod: JK. LOL

Anyways, stop kissing boys and start kissing your prof @sses and GET TO WORK! Eliminate your distractions. Instead of putting make up every morning, dedicate all your free time in studying. Instead of partying, go volunteer and be passionate about it.

You need to get with other students and figure out how to change your study habits in order to make better grades. I wouldn't keep signing up for a lot classes until you get that figured out.

I would retake all the courses you got a C or below in. You should probably just take them 1 at a time until you are positive you can maintain A's.

I understand there are many reasons you have had trouble in school. I am your age and have had many similar issues. However, no matter what issues you have had to overcome you have to show that ability to succeed in medical school. Schools are only going to take students that can pass rigorous courses and exams.

At this point in time you have not show that. I am sure you can, but you need to get your study habits figured out and knock out some of these classes with a better mastery of the material.

Good luck

Thanks man. Yeah for chem for example I mainly memorized when to use equations instead of the concepts. I remember being explained that concepts are important and had a very confused face as to what the person was talking about lol. I just didnt understand that level of thinking i guess. But yeah i procrastinated and when things got tough I sort of gave up on myself which plummeted my grades. So yeah Im really bent on developing not only good study habits but also a more efficient way of doing things. Also, not studying a week or two before exams, but day1

Keep in mind medical/dental school classes are way harder than what you encounter in college. If you need a lot of work to do well in basic bio/chem/physics, you might need a plan b.

Keep in mind medical/dental school classes are way harder than what you encounter in college. If you need a lot of work to do well in basic bio/chem/physics, you might need a plan b.

I agree. Thing is that I never put in the time towards my classes, never really tried or studied, even in the C courses. Those F's were from me not attending the lecture at all...my give up point. I just lost all hope at that point in life. But now i recognize that and plan to study day 1, and keep up with my classes instead of cramming or procrastinating.