Failed a class first semester freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeezuswest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- It was my first semester in college so I didn't know that dropping a class was possible
- Retook for a B+
- Was totally my fault caused by lack of work ethic, so no cheating/academic dishonesty was involved

How should I approach this come next application season? Is MD out of the picture at this point? Kind of depressing because this tanked my gpa right from the outset, and although I've managed a decent upward trend since, there's always that F sitting there.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your stats are otherwise good it won't be an issue. It may come up in secondaries or interviews just be prepared to address it.
You owned up to it here by admitting you weren't prepared for the class, didn't work hard, and weren't aware you could drop. You seem to also have learned from it, be sure you can articulate what you learned from it.
This shouldn't be more than a minor blip.

I failed a science class in my freshman year also. I dont think it is an issue since you retook it and did relatively well. Just dont make this a trend tho. One failed class wont hurt you but two or three certainly do not look good

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed bio my freshman year. MD is totally still in the picture, just do well in your other sciences to raises that sGPA as much as possible. Also be sure to do well on the section the topic corresponds to on MCAT.

Also if it wasn't a science class you failed no one is gonna care

It sounds like you already explained it pretty well. Just keep the overall cGPA and sGPA high. For DO, they'll only see the B+ due to the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy.