Failed A course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palipad123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone As the title says I recently found out that I failed anatomy for this block. In my med school we go by blocks and in each block there are several classes. I passes all the other classes in this first block but failed anatomy. I will have to remediate it over the summer and it will show up as fail/pass if I pass it. I was wondering how much of an impact this will be to my chances of matching into internal medicine down the road. I am interested in internal medicine and I want to work as a hospitalist and then later maybe subspecialize. I am okay with going into any internal medicine residencies but I prefer to stay in the northeast and I prefer to not stay in cities. So how much will this failing grade affect my chances and how should I approach the coming years to compensate for this red flag.

Members don't see this ad.

Highly doubt this will have any effect on your match outcome.

Failing anatomy is sort of like a badge of honor in med school. Obviously it's preferable to not have any red flags, but this is the one case where you'll get empathy from just about anyone that's gone through it. I remember one block over half our class failed anatomy, and the only reason we all didn't remediate is because they have a rule that only the bottom 5% can remediate a class.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Failing anatomy is sort of like a badge of honor in med school. Obviously it's preferable to not have any red flags, but this is the one case where you'll get empathy from just about anyone that's gone through it. I remember one block over half our class failed anatomy, and the only reason we all didn't remediate is because they have a rule that only the bottom 5% can remediate a class.
Yeah my first thought was "well, if you're going to fail a class, anatomy is the one to fail" lol everyone hates this garbage block.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone As the title says I recently found out that I failed anatomy for this block. In my med school we go by blocks and in each block there are several classes. I passes all the other classes in this first block but failed anatomy. I will have to remediate it over the summer and it will show up as fail/pass if I pass it. I was wondering how much of an impact this will be to my chances of matching into internal medicine down the road. I am interested in internal medicine and I want to work as a hospitalist and then later maybe subspecialize. I am okay with going into any internal medicine residencies but I prefer to stay in the northeast and I prefer to not stay in cities. So how much will this failing grade affect my chances and how should I approach the coming years to compensate for this red flag.

easier said than done, but do well from here on out and you may still match pretty well in IM.
-Honors in IM
-High Step Scores
-Good Letters
assuming you are a US MD

Yeah my first thought was "well, if you're going to fail a class, anatomy is the one to fail" lol everyone hates this garbage block.

Where is that? A needle near the sacroiliac region?

Reactions: 3 users
If you fail gross anatomy, you would be dropped from my class... o_O

Reactions: 1 user
NO worries at all. thats the best one to fail its early in your career and you have plenty of time to recover and show an improving trend. You dont need to ace the boards or Honors every course unless you are trying for some extremely competitive field. Otherwise you will be fine just passing all the rest of your courses and get average board exams.