failed at the match- next best move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hummushoe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
non US IMG
USMLE 1- 228 (second attempt)
CS- pass first attempt
CK-259

I applied to 150 IM programs and only recieved 3 interviews. One interview was from a place I observed at. They loved me there and the interview went great. Most of the people that interviewed with me that day were carribean grads from the same state and had family nearby.
The other places I did observerships at did not give me an interview even though they liked me because they did not want to deal with the hassle of sponsoring a visa. Their website says they would but the program director only interviews people with green card status. Broke my heart.

I dont want to give up, I have spent 2 years of my life and thousands of dollars observing and on exams..what next??
Will an MPH help? I have missed the deadlines for appying for most of the good programs.
Should I call it quits? My tired body says yes but my heart says no!!!
I have an American Dream too and want it realised :(

Please help me decide how to utilize my time (a year) before reapplying. I need my resume super strong. Also, should I re-apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Why no FM or prelim applications?
I applied to IM prelim as well..
I don't have a good enough reason for why I didn't try FM... I guess because I wanted hem/onc as a fellowship. I know for sure that I want FM the next round. I don't want a fellowship anymore, I never want to go through the Match more than I need to.

non US IMG
CS- pass first attempt
CK-259

I applied to 150 IM programs and only recieved 3 interviews. One interview was from a place I observed at. They loved me there and the interview went great. Most of the people that interviewed with me that day were carribean grads from the same state and had family nearby.
The other places I did observerships at did not give me an interview even though they liked me because they did not want to deal with the hassle of sponsoring a visa. Their website says they would but the program director only interviews people with green card status. Broke my heart.

I dont want to give up, I have spent 2 years of my life and thousands of dollars observing and on exams..what next??
Will an MPH help? I have missed the deadlines for appying for most of the good programs.

Please help me decide how to utilize my time (a year) before reapplying. I need my resume super strong. Also, should I re-apply?

I worked as a medical appeals writer and thought it went over well during the next application cycle. I said that it kept my clinical skills relevant (which it did) and I could always discuss literature articles I’d read based on what I had looked up last.

Yes, you should reapply, but I would go 100% fam med (don’t do 50/50 IM/FM). Splitting your efforts is a waste of your $$$$ and you’re less likely to get into FM while you’re chasing another field). Despite awesome step 2, it seems like IMG and repeat step 1 is too risky for IM to take ya. :(

Just so you know, with FM, after residency, you can practice what you wish. If you don’t want Peds or OBGYN you can largely avoid it. Also, FM docs do become Hospitalists, if that is your area of interest. :)

Yes, you should reapply, but I would go 100% fam med (don’t do 50/50 IM/FM). Splitting your efforts is a waste of your $$$$ and you’re less likely to get into FM while you’re chasing another field). Despite awesome step 2, it seems like IMG and repeat step 1 is too risky for IM to take ya. :(

Just so you know, with FM, after residency, you can practice what you wish. If you don’t want Peds or OBGYN you can largely avoid it. Also, FM docs do become Hospitalists, if that is your area of interest. :)

As long as you dont apply to the same hospital for IM and FM, I would consider applying 50/50 specially since you want to do a fellowship which is definitely out (save for sports medicine and maybe 1-2 others) if you are “stuck” in FM.

Make aure your preceptors rework your LoRs to update what you have been doing in the past year.

Good Luck

As long as you dont apply to the same hospital for IM and FM, I would consider applying 50/50 specially since you want to do a fellowship which is definitely out (save for sports medicine and maybe 1-2 others) if you are “stuck” in FM.

Though it depends on how much $$$ he has on hand to try for the more competitive IM spots.

I worked as a medical appeals writer and thought it went over well during the next application cycle. I said that it kept my clinical skills relevant (which it did) and I could always discuss literature articles I’d read based on what I had looked up last.

How did you land a job as an appeals writer? I need a job like that or a research position. Something that would grant me a visa

non US IMG
CS- pass first attempt
CK-259

I think unfortunately it's getting more difficult particularly for non-Us IMGs to match. On the latest match there were less than 5k non-US IMG. With the increase in seats in allopathic schools, the huge expansion of DO schools, and a significant number of US-IMG who have no language/culture/visa barriers, it will inevitably be more challenging for non-US IMGs. Think of it this way - when a program receives hundreds of apps, why would they specifically say hey we want to interview this person! vs the hundreds of others? In a sea of applications, it has to stand out somehow - stellar scores, mind blowing personal statement, etc etc. Sure, everyone has an American dream, but unfortunately reality needs to set in too. Medicine certainly is one of the more challenging paths to the American dream, especially in light of how difficult the path also is for actually AMGs. I would say that if you only got 3 IVs out of 150, that's about 2%. Also with the cost of sponsoring visas, most institutions would rather not deal with that to be honest. In my program and most programs in my institution, the vast majority of residents are either MDs or DOs. Rarely a Caribbean US-IMG will make it, but very rarely do we get non-US IMGs. I would imagine with the way the immigration uncertainty + the cost of visa sponsorship, it will likely become progressively more difficult to get a spot.
Have you thought of other lower entry medicine areas - nursing, midlevel, etc?

Reactions: 1 users
I think unfortunately it's getting more difficult particularly for non-Us IMGs to match. On the latest match there were less than 5k non-US IMG. With the increase in seats in allopathic schools, the huge expansion of DO schools, and a significant number of US-IMG who have no language/culture/visa barriers, it will inevitably be more challenging for non-US IMGs. Think of it this way - when a program receives hundreds of apps, why would they specifically say hey we want to interview this person! vs the hundreds of others? In a sea of applications, it has to stand out somehow - stellar scores, mind blowing personal statement, etc etc. Sure, everyone has an American dream, but unfortunately reality needs to set in too. Medicine certainly is one of the more challenging paths to the American dream, especially in light of how difficult the path also is for actually AMGs. I would say that if you only got 3 IVs out of 150, that's about 2%. Also with the cost of sponsoring visas, most institutions would rather not deal with that to be honest. In my program and most programs in my institution, the vast majority of residents are either MDs or DOs. Rarely a Caribbean US-IMG will make it, but very rarely do we get non-US IMGs. I would imagine with the way the immigration uncertainty + the cost of visa sponsorship, it will likely become progressively more difficult to get a spot.
Have you thought of other lower entry medicine areas - nursing, midlevel, etc?
Thank you. I had not considered nursing and don't know what midlevel is. going to look it up.

How did you land a job as an appeals writer? I need a job like that or a research position. Something that would grant me a visa

I lucked out as a friend of a friend was hiring for that position. Unfortunately, it’s digital work for a small company, so I know we wouldn’t host visas. I’m unsure about other larger companies. :(

Wherever you are. I hope you have been able to apply this season. Your story is very common and so is the people who overcome hard times and finally achieve their dreams. Please,update your situation if you are willing to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN