This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschooldream9098

Reaction score
I was in an extremely problematic situation for my first two years of college and didn’t do too well... being young and stupid, maybe just generally stupid, I didn’t stop to think how it would affect my future to keep taking classes and giving up mid way through because of the situation.
I have 4 F’s on my record that would affect my sGPA; Physiology, Gen Chem 1, College algebra, Anatomy. I have a D in statistics and a C+ in elementary chemistry. I’ve been working with the school to be able to have the Phys, anatomy and chem as a withdrawal on my record. I’ve since been getting straight A’s/A-‘s in all classes and I haven’t started yet on research or volunteering but I will be starting soon. I figured if I have a competitive amount of hours in all, and I have a steep upward trend, maybe I have a chance?
I’m double majoring in Biology and Nursing (just an associates in nursing as back up. Worried I won’t get into med school), so all of those extra classes make great impact on my sGPA I’d hope.
Am I wasting my time? Is it a complete daydream? I’m going to set up a meeting with a med school advisor (if possible, I haven’t looked into it yet) but in the mean time I just wanted to see if I could get some answers.

And I am prepared for the mean straight forward comments lol I kind of need a reality check anyway if this is not feasible. It’ll be upsetting but, again, reality check. Also before you say, “why don’t you just become an NP?” Or something along those lines, it is my back up plan, but my I would love to go to med school because more knowledge and more autonomy. It would be my first option. I’m just worried I won’t get accepted.
Im sorry for the long read.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your current GPAs? How many credit hours? Getting those retroactive W’s would be immensely helpful. You’re not in the greatest shape right now, but it depends on how bad you want it.

Be aware, most nursing courses will NOT count towards your sGPA on AMCAS (only pathophys did for me..) Also be prepared answer why you don’t want to be a nurse.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your current GPAs? How many credit hours? Getting those retroactive W’s would be immensely helpful. You’re not in the greatest shape right now, but it depends on how bad you want it.

Be aware, most nursing courses will NOT count towards your sGPA on AMCAS (only pathophys did for me..) Also be prepared answer why you don’t want to be a nurse.
As of now, my cGPA is somewhere along the lines of 3.1 and sGPA is 2.8 (have to double check both) ... BUT I’m still very early on with so many classes left to take for my biology major. I’m considering maybe taking extra science classes to boost my sGPA even more. I’ve calculated if I continue getting A’s, with some B’s as well, in all the classes I’m going to take, I could get my sGPA to a 3.6ish place. I don’t think I could get much higher than that unless I take extra science classes.. but would they just see that and question why I took classes I don’t need? Maybe I could do a minor in some science?
I’m sorry so many questions, I’m just concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of now, my cGPA is somewhere along the lines of 3.1 and sGPA is 2.8 (have to double check both) ... BUT I’m still very early on with so many classes left to take for my biology major. I’m considering maybe taking extra science classes to boost my sGPA even more. I’ve calculated if I continue getting A’s, with some B’s as well, in all the classes I’m going to take, I could get my sGPA to a 3.6ish place. I don’t think I could get much higher than that unless I take extra science classes.. but would they just see that and question why I took classes I don’t need? Maybe I could do a minor in some science?
I’m sorry so many questions, I’m just concerned.
I haven’t even checked my new gpa yet since the semester that just passed grades have been uploaded so it will be higher right now actually. Also, if they do a W rather than the F for those 3 classes I could get up to a 3.8 I used one of those college GPA calcs and legitimately entered every class and credit amt and grade to calculate all this. Hopefully it’s not off lol it really feels kind of off but hopefully it’s not.

I was in an extremely problematic situation for my first two years of college and didn’t do too well... being young and stupid, maybe just generally stupid, I didn’t stop to think how it would affect my future to keep taking classes and giving up mid way through because of the situation.
I have 4 F’s on my record that would affect my sGPA; Physiology, Gen Chem 1, College algebra, Anatomy. I have a D in statistics and a C+ in elementary chemistry. I’ve been working with the school to be able to have the Phys, anatomy and chem as a withdrawal on my record. I’ve since been getting straight A’s/A-‘s in all classes and I haven’t started yet on research or volunteering but I will be starting soon. I figured if I have a competitive amount of hours in all, and I have a steep upward trend, maybe I have a chance?
I’m double majoring in Biology and Nursing (just an associates in nursing as back up. Worried I won’t get into med school), so all of those extra classes make great impact on my sGPA I’d hope.
Am I wasting my time? Is it a complete daydream? I’m going to set up a meeting with a med school advisor (if possible, I haven’t looked into it yet) but in the mean time I just wanted to see if I could get some answers.

And I am prepared for the mean straight forward comments lol I kind of need a reality check anyway if this is not feasible. It’ll be upsetting but, again, reality check. Also before you say, “why don’t you just become an NP?” Or something along those lines, it is my back up plan, but my I would love to go to med school because more knowledge and more autonomy. It would be my first option. I’m just worried I won’t get accepted.
Im sorry for the long read.
No, you're not dead yet. Rising GPA trends are always good.

Reactions: 1 user