1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Failed COMLEX-1 , want to get into Gas or Rad

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Laito, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Laito

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi,

OMS III here. I have two red flags. Failed a class during my first semester of med school and now failed COMLEX 1. I would love to get into anesthesiology or radiology. If I pass all COMLEX level 1 and 2 and USMLE Step 1 and 2 with ~50th percentile, would I have a shot at either residencies?? Can a decent Step score overcome a failed COMLEX??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spectreman

Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    When you have time would you mind going into some detail with why you failed (as best as you can assume). More relevant to advice people might give as well, what sort of changes have you made that tells you you’re ready to hit 50th percentile or better on these exams? Would love to hear how you made those changes.

Thanks.

Laito likes this.
  4. DO2015CA

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are done with either one of those. Find something else. If you failed a comlex 1 then what makes you think you can pass step 1? Which is way harder.

MeatTornado and Laito like this.
  5. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    welcome to the primary care team amigo!!!

6. Giovanotto

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lmao

Laito and QueenJames like this.
  7. sab3156

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ACGME Anesthesiology may not be out of the cards... it's not competitive at all, and some programs may be willing to overlook your COMLEX failure and your one failed class, if you show great scores on your first attempt on the Steps. It would also help to have research and letters from ACGME faculty. But you really need to be realistic and honest with yourself - if you failed COMLEX Level 1, you probably have a lot to overcome before you can even pass Step 1, let alone get an above average score.

In any case, ask on the Anesthesiology sub-forum and see if faculty/residents/fellows can give you more information on this.

Laito likes this.
  8. Black Coffee 24/7

Nope, he’s cooked even for Gas. There are MDs that go unmatched for Gas due to failing Step 1. As a DO with a class failure after remediation and a board failure, it’s very unlikely.

The most realistic course of action is to explore what kind of stuff he can do in either FM or IM right now.

9. sab3156

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah but that's a Step 1 failure. My thinking is that he could do well on Step 1, and ACGME PDs probably could overlook the COMLEX and course remediation. Perhaps some faculty on the anesthesiology forum can give more specifics about this, but to be honest there is no point in even talking about specialty options until OP shows drastic improvement on the Steps, which will probably be a tough road after failing COMLEX Level 1.

OP might be doing well on clerkships, and with a solid Step 1 score and perhaps some research/ACGME letters, I don't see why he can't match Anesthesiology. Again, though, it's highly unrealistic for all these expectations to be met at this point.

#8 sab3156, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Laito likes this.
  10. AlbinoHawk DO

AlbinoHawk DO PeeGeeWai Osteopath
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It's time to tailor your application toward FM, community IM or Pathology.

If you couldn't pass COMLEX 1 after dedicated, you can't start to fantasize about getting 50th percentile on 4 exams

11. Rekt

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This.

It sounds like you just got your COMLEX score, which means you were a student that was likely delayed in the first place by their school. You still don't have a passing score for Level 1. Step 1 is much harder than Level 1 and you expect to get around 50th percentile on that, which is very unlikely. I agree with the posts in this thread. You should forget all about Step 1 and put 100% focus into just passing Level 1. Then you can worry about FM vs IM later on.

12. zero0

zero0 everything i hug dies
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Provided you can actually do well on boards from here on, you can probably find a program in either specialty to take you.

That said, I just don't see that happening considering your history.

You can take that as a personal challenge and work hard to redeem yourself from here on, or you can start looking at primary care/path.

Giovanotto, Laito and sab3156 like this.
  13. Laito

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks everyone for the comments. To clarify my situation, I did pass my COMSAE with >500 about 2 months prior to my actual exam. After 8 weeks of dedicated time, I decided to postpone the COMLEX for another 3 weeks and cancel Step 1 due to crazy things that was happening in my life. Long story short, I could not get my **** straight and pretty much wasted that 3 weeks prior to the exam.
    I know that, given my history, it's going to be an uphill battle. I believe I got my **** together now, and ready to tackle this. I don't won't to give up just yet.

sab3156 likes this.
  14. W19

W19 Account on Hold
    Account on Hold Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have a plan B, even a plan C.

BorntobeDO? likes this.
  15. ButterButter

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As a DO that matched ACGME anesthesia last year, I can say that the field is more competitive and my classmates that had > 600 COMLEX + > 220 Step 1 scores struggled to get a good number of interviews. So a COMLEX failure + class failure puts you at a severe disadvantage. I agree with those recommending another specialty.

MeatTornado and BorntobeDO? like this.
  16. dangEras

You can always take a shot, but make sure you secure 3 IM letters during third year and half&half auditions between IM & anesthesia with a critical care audition thrown in as well.

Applying purely anesthesia, you may end up with a class, board, and match failure which is like a triple whammy red flag.

Giovanotto likes this.
  17. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If only we had data for this last match that showed that you definitely don't need a 220/600+ to match anesthesia..... oh wait.

However, OP yes with a board failure you are likely done for anesthesia. I would start really trying to find an interest in FM or peds.

18. ButterButter

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wasn’t implying that you needed it, only that some of my colleagues struggled for interviews with stats that a few years ago guaranteed a good number of interviews.

AnatomyGrey12 likes this.
  19. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can see that, especially if they weren't advised on what a good application strategy looked like. Now obviously I have no idea what your colleagues situation was but I've been astounded by how little some people know about how to match successfully. I mean like people applying to like 15 residency programs because, "well I applied to that many medical schools and it worked well so I'll do that with residency programs."

That is how you become one of the 2 people who don't match anesthesia with a 220+ (just an example, not related to your colleagues). DO school advising is even worse than the undergrad advisors that "help" people apply to medical school.

20. sab3156

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What you mean by "more competitive"? Objectively speaking, anesthesiology is not a competitive specialty. If anything, it has gotten less competitive than the past. The people who you said struggled to get interviews with 220, as stated above, probably had terribly misguided advice throughout the process.

21. Hippocrates II

I interpreted their response as meaning anesthesia is more competitive than being able to walz into it with multiple board failures, not that it was overall very competitive.

22. ButterButter

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You originally mentioned that anesthesiology is "not competitive at all" so my comment was a response to that and my belief that OP is not competitive for gas for this application cycle. Looking at the history of the specialty's competitiveness over the past 20-30 years, it is experiencing a bit of an upswing, although still very much accessible to the average DO applicant. In the mid-late 90s, the anesthesia job market slumped substantially, and as a result, residencies experienced a drop in applicants for several years. The combination of poor job market and CRNA doom-and-gloom meant that the specialty was wide open well into the 2000s and applicants could scramble into programs no problem. While applicants for the 2017-2018 cycle increased per position only slightly from the previous year, PDs reported on almost every interview I attended that they'd experienced a surge in applications that year. That means that more applicants are applying to more programs on average. So anesthesia is not a competitive specialty unless, of course, you are a DO applicant with a class and board failure.

nimbus likes this.
  23. Giovanotto

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What's a good starting place for this? I don't know the first thing about applying to residency. And, the bolded sounds perfectly reasonable...

24. W19

W19 Account on Hold
    Account on Hold Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A good starting place is 30 even if you are applying to FM with 250 step1.

25. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Depends on the field, I would reach out to residents from your school in the field you are applying to and get advice from them. The number you should apply to can vary between 30-120 depending on what you are going for, how competitive you are, and if you are applying to a competitive location.

Giovanotto likes this.
  26. DrMcLovin

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    This is a good book for someone who is clueless on residency matching - “Isersons getting into a residency: a guide for medical students- 8th edition.”

My advisor in med school recommended it and let me borrow a copy in 3rd year. It goes through everything. Highly recommend especially if you are clueless about the process.