Failed COMLEX II PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellinopedo182

Deleted User
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that i failed comlex 2PE. Not sure why. I have never failed an osce at school (always way above the average), have always excelled in all portions of the exams in the past. This one was no different. Came out quite confident i passed. only 1 exam was tough for me, but im sure I did well on that one too. Physicals were good in my opinion, didn't forget any real big exams to perform, proper draping, handwashing (except the one where the alcohol sprayed into my eyes and couldn't see for a few seconds), open ended questions, no medical jargon to the patient, counseled those that needed, soap notes were thorough with very little abbreviations (except i realized i put pt. instead of patient in a couple of instances). I may have accidently written outside the box a couple of times, but i'm not sure, i may just be thinking I did. I don't quite get it. I have always been great at osces, patient encounters and always willing to help other students perfect their clinical skills at school. I just don't get it. Did i accidently put something on the soap note that I did not perform? Was it writing outside the boxes on accident?

Anyone know how I get them to rescore it?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

only thing i can think of is that I probably put something in my soap note I thought I did that I must have not (probably something like oriented when I didn't ask all the orientation questions). I know sometimes i come out and while writing my soap note I remember things I did in other exams prior but usually I try to limit any such mistakes and usually I have scratch paper putting down things I have performed during the exam. something along those lines. otherwise, makes no sense to me. i really want to see my score report and see what exactly screwed me over!

I can't comment too much, you mostly wrote all of the stuff I concentrated on (introductions, proper draping, hand-washing, open ended questions, no medical jargon, and counseling). I can say that writing outside of the box shouldn't have hurt you too much. TBH I didn't see that part until I was halfway through the second set of patients. I had written all over that paper on most patients by that point.

I can't comment too much, you mostly wrote all of the stuff I concentrated on (introductions, proper draping, hand-washing, open ended questions, no medical jargon, and counseling). I can say that writing outside of the box shouldn't have hurt you too much. TBH I didn't see that part until I was halfway through the second set of patients. I had written all over that paper on most patients by that point.

I'm still waiting for the score report but i already sent in a confirmation report. I think with one patient i asked if they were in any pain and they said none whatsoever so i may have put "pain 0/10" without asking for a scale. But i may just be thinking this. at one point, one of the doors has a column next to it, with the table next to the column on the other side of the door. I was standing in front of the chair and they said start, and i accidently started to pick up the previous students finished chart but they caught me before i took it out and they laughed. the column separating the door and the chair threw me off. and at one point i used the bathroom during our break and my number they had us put on our arms fell off when i was washing my hands and i didn't notice and i had to find it in the bathroom. maybe they thought that was "suspicious"? lol. maybe i should have done full segmental exams on OMM patients before doing OMM rather than just regional? i did TART on all patients though except 1 or 2 where their c/o was not applicable to OMM. i dunno, hopefully the score report arrives tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out that i failed comlex 2PE. Not sure why. I have never failed an osce at school (always way above the average), have always excelled in all portions of the exams in the past. This one was no different. Came out quite confident i passed. only 1 exam was tough for me, but im sure I did well on that one too. Physicals were good in my opinion, didn't forget any real big exams to perform, proper draping, handwashing (except the one where the alcohol sprayed into my eyes and couldn't see for a few seconds), open ended questions, no medical jargon to the patient, counseled those that needed, soap notes were thorough with very little abbreviations (except i realized i put pt. instead of patient in a couple of instances). I may have accidently written outside the box a couple of times, but i'm not sure, i may just be thinking I did. I don't quite get it. I have always been great at osces, patient encounters and always willing to help other students perfect their clinical skills at school. I just don't get it. Did i accidently put something on the soap note that I did not perform? Was it writing outside the boxes on accident?

thanks

:laugh: :claps:

but seriously, good luck man. keep us updated. what specialty do you want to go into? will it affect it much? i think all programs know the PE is BS anyways

thanks

According to the NBOME BOI :

"For the COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE examination, score confirmation involves confirmation of the numerical aspects that make up the scores and the pass-fail decisions but does not include further review or re-scoring of videotaped performances or written SOAP notes. Requests for score confirmation for COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE must be submitted directly to the NBOME National Center for Clinical Skills Testing and received in writing within three months of the completion of the examination (or 30 days from the issuing of the Score Report, whichever is later) and must include the $50 fee for score confirmation."

While I would definitely recommend doing this as soon as possible, looking at your score report and identifying what they said was the reason for your failure (which domain you failed) will really help you hone in on what the problem might be. Hopefully they will rescore it and you will pass but there is no way to know. If not, then something my school (LECOM) does is videotape a few standardized patient encounters you do and then analyze them with you. There may be something you are doing or saying that you do not realize that caused the graders to fail you.

Did you remember to drape the patient and help them lay down or sit up? Did you ask permission before touching the patient or moving their gown?

I have heard that those are very important and may contribute to failing.

i acually failed the professionalism, not sure why. i just went in took it again, had more eye contact but didnt change anything else. easily passed. not fair, but just happy got it out of the way.