Failed Comlex last yr, did well in my retake, got a publication, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpecialField

Reaction score
Failed comlex, forced to take time off, did research and got a pub, retook Comlex I and did very well.

I still have 2 months left I want to use to take step I. But school wants me back on rotations.

Should I extend the Leave of absence for another 2 months right now or should I go back on rotations and
use my remainder 2 months at a later time during 3rd year?

From the PD perspective, which one looks better in terms of the Leave of absence...a long continuous LOA or a long continuous LOA-->rotations--> followed by another 2 months of LOA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is "very well", and have you taken a uworld self assesment? I would start there before you consider usmle. If you do bad, just forget usmle and get on with clinical rotations. If you do good the I would consider going forward with planning for usmle

What is "very well", and have you taken a uworld self assesment? I would start there before you consider usmle. If you do bad, just forget usmle and get on with clinical rotations. If you do good the I would consider going forward with planning for usmle

if I were to take the time off to study. The school wants me back on rotations so most likely I will do a few month of rotations before I can take another LOA to study. Or Should I fight the school and demand to extend my LOA for another 2 months right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Failed comlex, forced to take time off, did research and got a pub, retook Comlex I and did very well.

I still have 2 months left I want to use to take step I. But school wants me back on rotations.

Should I extend the Leave of absence for another 2 months or should I go back on rotations and
take use the 2 months at a later time during 3rd year?

From the PD perspective, which one looks better in terms of the Leave of absence...a long continuous LOA or a long continuous LOA>rotations> followed by another 2 months of LOA?

I'd say to try and take step at the end of your 3rd year. it'll be hard work.

Maybe @aProgDirector might have some insight on taking extended LOA for studying for step?

Off topic but I’m curious what you did differently for the retake to score well.

Reactions: 1 users