Failed Comlex level 1 (390), 449 on 2nd attempt. Applying Family Medicine--Any recommendations for programs? HALP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorTea26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nontraditional student with an Art degree and a lot of student government and advocacy experience. My CV is great, but I know Boards are the first screening tool and will likely be my biggest barrier. I have honored all but one rotation as a 3rd year, and I have apps out for quite a few Sub-I's. I know Matching FM is still very possible, but some programs are more forgiving than others I'm learning. I'm wondering if anyone has information about programs that are willing to consider students with a Boards failure? Or maybe info about strategy? Thanks in advance--this community has saved my a$$ more than once ;)

Members don't see this ad.

You’re gonna have to dig into program websites and see what they specifically say about “number of attempts” because they’re usually straight up about it.
Really buckle down and hit Lv2. Knock it out of the park and you’ll open many doors. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
You’re gonna have to dig into program websites and see what they specifically say about “number of attempts” because they’re usually straight up about it.
Really buckle down and hit Lv2. Knock it out of the park and you’ll open many doors. Best of luck!
Thank you! Yes I have been studying my ass off this year tbh. I have found quite a few programs already that flat out say "must pass in one attempt" or "two attempts" or whatever their policy is, but basically I know more than one person who has failed a board exam and ended up matching at a school where they technically did't meet their criteria. Like how some sites only mention step but will accept comlex even tho it isn't written?? but yes, level 2 crush is gooooood advice <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Yes I have been studying my ass off this year tbh. I have found quite a few programs already that flat out say "must pass in one attempt" or "two attempts" or whatever their policy is, but basically I know more than one person who has failed a board exam and ended up matching at a school where they technically did't meet their criteria. Like how some sites only mention step but will accept comlex even tho it isn't written?? but yes, level 2 crush is gooooood advice <3
I matched at a place where I didn’t meet their boards cut-offs because I did an audition there. So maybe find like 4-5 places you would LOVE to match at and audition their even if you don’t meet their criteria. If they’re super stuck up about minimums they prob won’t even let you audition there so you know it’s no skin off your back.

Reactions: 1 users
As mentioned above, you should make sure that the programs you apply to don't specifically mention a "pass on first attempt policy" or some such nonsense. Beyond that, you should apply to every FM program in the world.

I matched at a place where I didn’t meet their boards cut-offs because I did an audition there. So maybe find like 4-5 places you would LOVE to match at and audition their even if you don’t meet their criteria. If they’re super stuck up about minimums they prob won’t even let you audition there so you know it’s no skin off your back.
Thank you, yea I have a ton of sub I apps out there right now, one approved! that's kinda what im getting at, I have heard of places with minimums but they accepted students that had a failure anyway and those are the spots im trying to find--just requires folks to be willing to share the names of those programs!

Thank you, yea I have a ton of sub I apps out there right now, one approved! that's kinda what im getting at, I have heard of places with minimums but they accepted students that had a failure anyway and those are the spots im trying to find--just requires folks to be willing to share the names of those programs!
I think it varies year-to-year. Heck it probably varies based on the MOOD of the coordinator that day. I get wanting to dig out those kind of unpublished details, but I think you’re better off finding places YOU want to go and then digging for examples of people who matched below their cutoff and such. Also be proactive with your Sub-I apps, don’t just let them sit on VSAS. Email coordinators and tell them you really want to spend a month with them!

Reactions: 2 users
I would just call the top 30 programs you're interested in. The program coordinator should be straight up with you