Failed Comlex PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstaidjelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed. Passed both comlex step one and usmle step one. Dunno what happened. Can I get a residency anywhere? I dont know how they can judge empathy on a standardized test.

Members don't see this ad.

Residency programs will see that I failed already. Should have waited until October to take the test instead of rushing to take it early.

Not the end of the world. Know people who matched MD IM and FM with failures. Taking it early gives you plenty of time to retake it and plenty of time for programs to see a pass.

You're not the first person this has happened to. I'd try to schedule for a retake ASAP, ideally so you can get a passing score before you submit your app for residency. This thread crops up every so often. This is definitely not as bad as failing the CK. What did your score report say? Failed on the interpersonal skills or on the biomechanical domain? What do you think went wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed both portions. I think I have to take a prep course or something. I guess I have to look at people more in the eye and not rush as much. I like your picture, thats a cute cat.

I failed both portions. I think I have to take a prep course or something. I guess I have to look at people more in the eye and not rush as much. I like your picture, thats a cute cat.

If you are from the US (MD or DO), I would look for someone in your school who usually helps people who failed CS (PE for you guys I guess). I also failed at my first 2cs attempt (CIS portion). I worked with that professor once a week for 4 weeks, and in my second 2cs my CIS portion broke the right end. Well if you failed ICE you might need to get some assessment regarding your note writing skill, but mostly you will have to type your notes a little faster than how you usually do in core clerkship rotations. Prep course may help you, but it is freaking expensive, and I hope you can find a different way of getting through it without spending a fortune. Good luck.

You can still match in the primary care residencies without issue, just pass it the first time. I would recommend Combank PE videos along with the Kauffman book. Also be sure to practice a lot. good luck!

just took my PE and have a concern... im not sure what possessed me to do so but I put that i discussed during the actual encounter about smoking cessation for a few patients and also discussed plan and treatment with patient but did not put it into the plan but into objective... since i guess at the time my mentality was well I just did this so it sounded silly to me to write will discuss plan... in the plan section... so am i screwed or...

Last edited:
just took my PE and have a concern... im not sure what possessed me to do so but I put that i discussed during the actual encounter about smoking cessation for a few patients and also discussed plan and treatment with patient but did not put it into the plan but into objective... since i guess at the time my mentality was well I just did this so it sounded silly to me to write will discuss plan... in the plan section... so am i screwed or...
Idk... did you pass?