failed CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lauren85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
should i not release the score to my ERAs and just address it during the IV?
everything else is good (98/99)
scheduling to take it asap (within 3-4 weeks)

Members don't see this ad.

should i not release the score to my ERAs and just address it during the IV?
everything else is good (98/99)
scheduling to take it asap (within 3-4 weeks)

I wouldn't release it now if you can avoid it (assuming your USMLE transcript has already been released to ERAS). But if you still have to release your transcript, you have to release it all, including the failure. And programs may want to see it prior to ranking you (if you're an IMG and need to prove ECFMG eligibility) in which case you'll have to pay again for the release and the failure will appear on the transcript.

I believe it's a "moot point". Your USMLE transcript release will be processed when you actually apply to programs. If you already have your score, it will be on your transcript when you apply to programs.

If you're asking whether you shouldn't release your USMLE scores at all, then you simply won't get any interviews. No one is going to interview you without seeing your scores first.

You could wait to apply until you have a passing CS score -- however it will take you a few weeks to get a new exam date, and then a few weeks for a score. Applying later than some time in September may decrease your interview offers. Of course, so will a fail on CS, so either way it's going to be a problem

If you're asking whether you shouldn't release your USMLE scores at all, then you simply won't get any interviews. No one is going to interview you without seeing your scores first.

I know plenty of people who got interview offers without having Step 2 scores in, some even matched before their CS (or PE for DO's) came in. But I do think that they need to have at least the Step 1 score and since all of the scores will appear together upon release, I think that as aProgDirector seems to be suggesting, the OP will have to release to get interviews.

I also know programs that are the other way and won't rank for match w/o having all 3 scores in so I think that it varies by program. Dunno which programs won't interview w/o having all 3 scores in but I bet those exist as well. Either way, its probably better to release and be honest...yeah, it might cost you some interviews but those type of places would eventually need to see at least some of your scores to rank and are probably the type that might not rank the OP if they are so fixated on a failing CS (so passing to the interview stage doesn't mean much) to begin with.

Dunno how I'd advise the OP though...but I think that programs will know your score should be in b/c we report on our ERAS the month/yr of our test date and then can estimate so they might wonder why your CS score is not in if its more than a couple of months since your test date.