This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supermbrs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

IMG applying for General Surgery, didn’t match this past cycle. I planned to take (and pass) Step 3 before Match day, but ended up failing (Score 197). I took Step 3 again and I’m currently waiting for the score report. I am trying to prepare for next cycle and be smart(er).

UPDATE: I passed Step 3 (score 21x)

Has any IMG/DO/USMD matched after failing Step 3?

How could that first attempt affect my chances of matching into a prelim Gen Surg position next cycle?

Should I apply to other specialties?

My stats:
Step 1 23x
Step 2 CK 23x
Step 2 CS pass
All first attempts.

There are just a few, very old posts regarding this topic, and I think this should be discussed more often.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

IMG applying for General Surgery, didn’t match this past cycle. I planned to take (and pass) Step 3 before Match day, but ended up failing (Score 197). I took Step 3 again and I’m currently waiting for the score report. I am trying to prepare for next cycle and be smart(er).

How could that first attempt affect my chances of matching into a prelim Gen Surg position next cycle?

My stats:
Step 1 23x
Step 2 CK 23x
Step 2 CS pass
All first attempts.

There are just a few, very old posts regarding this topic, and I think this should be discussed more often.

With your Step scores being ok, why would you take Step 3 before matching? Literally no one cares what your Step 3 score is, so passing it with a high score does nothing. Failing it, though, will hurt you. I know there's nothing you can do about this now, but let this be a warning to future applicants.

I think you may have a hard time finding anything other than a prelim spot. Sadly, though, many of those prelim spots are the road to nowhere. Think to yourself if you would be ok with that as a possibility. If not, look to see if there are any other fields you might consider going into.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys,

My stats:
Step 1 23x
Step 2 CK 23x
Step 2 CS pass
All first attempts.

GS is very competitive for F/IMGs...if you didn’t get even a prelim position this match, the likelihood is low of matching next round and as noted, prelim GS is unlikely to get you anywhere.
Consider applying to IM ( though the step 3 failure is gonna hurt) so you can consider a procedure heavy fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

My stats:
Step 1 23x
Step 2 CK 23x
Step 2 CS pass
All first attempts.

There’s no use of prognosticating a whole lot as it doesn’t change management. I think if that second step 3 is a pass, it will be OK.

Apply to the GS prelims, categorical, and apply IM broadly.

Did you not even get a prelim this time around? If so, that may be a bad sign overall.

let us know if it’s a fail and we can advise you further.

Reactions: 1 users
With your Step scores being ok, why would you take Step 3 before matching? Literally no one cares what your Step 3 score is, so passing it with a high score does nothing. Failing it, though, will hurt you. I know there's nothing you can do about this now, but let this be a warning to future applicants.

I think you may have a hard time finding anything other than a prelim spot. Sadly, though, many of those prelim spots are the road to nowhere. Think to yourself if you would be ok with that as a possibility. If not, look to see if there are any other fields you might consider going into.

The problem is for IMGs/AMGS who don’t match, they can’t do clinical work so there’s really nothing for them to do other than take Step 3. As GoSpursGo (SDN mod) says, what has changed the next time around.

I agree in this case it’s not the best idea to take it especially when OPs other Steps were good but I can’t blame him/her for doing it. What else can they do in the year they’re reapplying?

The problem is for IMGs/AMGS who don’t match, they can’t do clinical work so there’s really nothing for them to do other than take Step 3. As GoSpursGo (SDN mod) says, what has changed the next time around.

I agree in this case it’s not the best idea to take it especially when OPs other Steps were good but I can’t blame him/her for doing it. What else can they do in the year they’re reapplying?

But they took it before even finishing the match process the first time. That's a self-inflicted injury. Taking Step 3 does not add anything significant to the application unless the step scores were all low and there is a concern for someone failing.

It would be helpful to know whether you need a visa, if when you applied you had a S3 fail or no score at all, and how many apps you sent and how many interivews you receibed.

Reactions: 3 users
There’s no use of prognosticating a whole lot as it doesn’t change management. I think if that second step 3 is a pass, it will be OK.

Apply to the GS prelims, categorical, and apply IM broadly.

Did you not even get a prelim this time around? If so, that may be a bad sign overall.

let us know if it’s a fail and we can advise you further.
Thanks for your comments. I got my results today and I passed Step 3 (score 21x).
I didn’t get any interviews for prelimg GS. I think the main reason was that I was actually applying for an elite residency (eg, Optho, ENT, Uro, Ortho, etc), for which I got a couple of interviews. I think that maybe my mistake was not preparing a better PS/application for prelim GS? But now that a red flag has been added to my CV I want to be more aggressive, while being realistic about my chances at the same time.

But they took it before even finishing the match process the first time. That's a self-inflicted injury. Taking Step 3 does not add anything significant to the application unless the step scores were all low and there is a concern for someone failing.
Non-US IMGs are eligible for a better work visa if they take (and pass) Step 3 before match day. It actually helps a little to take it (and pass it) during interviews if you’re an non-US IMG.

• Hmm
It would be helpful to know whether you need a visa, if when you applied you had a S3 fail or no score at all, and how many apps you sent and how many interivews you receibed.
I do need visa, I took Step 3 in late December (so I didn’t have a fail during application), sent around 50 apps for prelim Gen Surg, but received only two secondary apps. For the elite residency I was applying to, I got a couple of waitlists and two interviews.

I do need visa, I took Step 3 in late December (so I didn’t have a fail during application), sent around 50 apps for prelim Gen Surg, but received only two secondary apps. For the elite residency I was applying to, I got a couple of waitlists and two interviews.

As a non-US IMG, you needed to send at least 100 apps if not more for general surgery. With a Step 3 failure, you will need to pass it to have a chance, I think. If you still want general surgery, you will need to focus on places that have a history of taking non-US IMG residents and focus on more lower tier locations. Make sure you don't fail Step 3 again. Good luck with trying again.

As a non-US IMG, you needed to send at least 100 apps if not more for general surgery. With a Step 3 failure, you will need to pass it to have a chance, I think. If you still want general surgery, you will need to focus on places that have a history of taking non-US IMG residents and focus on more lower tier locations. Make sure you don't fail Step 3 again. Good luck with trying again.
Thanks for the advice. I got my scores back today and I passed Step 3. I must admit that I only applied to ~50 GS programs in competitive centers/locations, but will be flexible open this time around.

Thanks for your comments. I got my results today and I passed Step 3 (score 21x).
I didn’t get any interviews for prelimg GS. I think the main reason was that I was actually applying for an elite residency (eg, Optho, ENT, Uro, Ortho, etc), for which I got a couple of interviews. I think that maybe my mistake was not preparing a better PS/application for prelim GS? But now that a red flag has been added to my CV I want to be more aggressive, while being realistic about my chances at the same time.
Seriously?? Did you even come close to meeting the requirements for those specialties??? None are even remotely I/FMG friendly and you have to be a superlative applicant...

your failure to match is because you were unrealistic about what you could match into...unless you have a significant presence in any of those fields...significant interaction with research with publications or significant support from a person with significant standing (which generally just puts a qualified candidate up front...doesn’t uplift an unqualified one), the chances of getting those Uber competitive specialties, even for a stellar US senior is low, never mind a visa needing FMG.

next time, if you still are considering surgery, apply to basically every GS program and forget about the Uber surgical subspecialites.

Last edited:
Seriously?? Did you even come close to meeting the requirements for those specialties??? None are even remotely I/FMG friendly and you have to be a superlative applicant...

your failure to match is because you were unrealistic about what you could match into...unless you have a significant presence in any of those fields...significant interaction with research with publications or significant support from a person with significant standing (which generally just puts a qualified candidate up front...doesn’t uplift an unqualified one), the chances of getting those Uber competitive specialties, even for a stellar US senior is low, never mind a visa needing FMG.

next time, if you still are considering surgery, apply to basically every GS program and forget about the Uber surgical subspecialites.
Let’s say that I might know some people in these “uber surgical specialties”, and I might have spent some time in an academic center doing research. Honestly, what I think decreased my chances of matching this past cycle was the fact that I need a visa, and many (not to say all) competitive programs are not very familiar with the process of sponsoring visa, especially during the uncertain times of a global pandemic and/or a not too “foreigner friendly” government banning visas (speaking of the past government).

I will take your advice of applying broadly (including less competitive fields, maybe), but will still give it another shot to my dream specialty. I think it is worth doing the investment.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Let’s say that I might know some people in these “uber surgical specialties”, and I might have spent some time in an academic center doing research. Honestly, what I think decreased my chances of matching this past cycle was the fact that I need a visa, and many (not to say all) competitive programs are not very familiar with the process of sponsoring visa, especially during the uncertain times of a global pandemic and/or a not too “foreigner friendly” government banning visas (speaking of the past government).

I will take your advice of applying broadly (including less competitive fields, maybe), but will still give it another shot to my dream specialty. I think it is worth doing the investment.
I know you want that dream specialty, but it didn’t work out this cycle despite whatever connections you have. And next cycle, you will add 3 negatives to the app that didn’t work this time: 1 more year since YOG, Failed to match, Step 3 failure on first attempt.

I know you want that dream specialty, but it didn’t work out this cycle despite whatever connections you have. And next cycle, you will add 3 negatives to the app that didn’t work this time: 1 more year since YOG, Failed to match, Step 3 failure on first attempt.
Lol are you saying it’s going to be impossible for me to match into my dream specialty?

Hi guys,

UPDATE: I passed Step 3 (score 21x)

My stats:
Step 1 23x
Step 2 CK 23x
Step 2 CS pass
All first attempts.

Hmmm, this defies the SDN dogma that surgical subspecialties are for competitive US MDs. To clarify, were you applying to Opthalmology or ENT/Uro/Ortho? I am starting to see more and more Ophtho matches to where I think it's starting to become the norm. Uro/ENT/Ortho less so. How many places did you apply to just out of interest and what was your yield like. It's interesting to know but also tells me how competitive you were for whatever reason.

I am not sure if I buy the whole PDs didn't see your interest in GS and consequently didn't give you a prelim spot. I could see that argument applying to categorical GS. What I would do in this case is apply to a high volume of GS and make it clear in your PS why you want GS. Apply concurrently to either IM/FM/another less competitive field IMGs drift towards.

I think that Step 3 score might hurt a bit. Apply to a ton of GS programs.

Non-US IMGs are eligible for a better work visa if they take (and pass) Step 3 before match day. It actually helps a little to take it (and pass it) during interviews if you’re an non-US IMG.
If you're referring the the H1B, I wouldn't call it better than the J1.

• Hmm
What do you mean secondaries? Those are mass emailed to applicants who apply to smaller programs typically in the NE to understand why you're applying to their program. It's not speaking to your qualifications. Two interviews is only one more than 1 interview which I think most people would not consider as validation that you're competitive for the field. I second SunshineFls point about 3 negatives now added to your application. Anyways, you do seem reasonable for dropping this specialty. Apply to GS as a reach, keep some solid back ups you;ll be happy with.

Last edited:
Hmmm, this defies the SDN dogma that surgical subspecialties are for competitive US MDs. To clarify, were you applying to Opthalmology or ENT/Uro/Ortho? I am starting to see more and more Ophtho matches to where I think it's starting to become the norm. Uro/ENT/Ortho less so. How many places did you apply to just out of interest and what was your yield like. It's interesting to know but also tells me how competitive you were for whatever reason.

I am not sure if I buy the whole PDs didn't see your interest in GS and consequently didn't give you a prelim spot. I could see that argument applying to categorical GS. What I would do in this case is apply to a high volume of GS and make it clear in your PS why you want GS. Apply concurrently to either IM/FM/another less competitive field IMGs drift towards.

I think that Step 3 score might hurt a bit. Apply to a ton of GS programs.
I applied to ~90 ENT/Uro/Ortho programs, and interviewed in a few programs. 5-10 programs offered wait list spots.
Honestly, I don’t know if I showed enough interest in GS (my PS was ENT/Uro/Ortho oriented, but explaining that I wanted a prelim GS position). This time around I want to show more interest towards GS.
IMHO, I find it kind of unfair that programs use Step 3 outcomes as a reason to reject an applicant. It’s not even in the requirements for residency application.

I applied to ~90 ENT/Uro/Ortho programs, and interviewed in a few programs. 5-10 programs offered wait list spots.
Honestly, I don’t know if I showed enough interest in GS (my PS was ENT/Uro/Ortho oriented, but explaining that I wanted a prelim GS position). This time around I want to show more interest towards GS.
IMHO, I find it kind of unfair that programs use Step 3 outcomes as a reason to reject an applicant. It’s not even in the requirements for residency application.
It’s not the step 3 that is an issue...it’s the FAILURE of step 3...hardly anyone fails that, so it’s a big ding on your application now

You can have infinite personal statements on ERAS and assign them individually by program. You could have written more than one which made sense to each specialty/situation you were applying to.

Have you looked at the stats for the sub specialties that you are aiming for?? Your scores, even without the failure on step 3 , dont really come close ...230 something is low for them...and you dont have the ability to be AOA, nevemind junior AOA.

who is giving you advice about your application and ability to match? I mean in real life? Is there an American PD that you can get advice from?

the AUA limits the number of urology spots and the number of foreign grads is very low... heck !40% of US MD student go unmatched in the AUA match.

optho is also very F/IMG unfriendly and while some have matched, they generally have done extensive research to get there.

ortho is a little more doable, but these are generally community programs and the applicant has done rotations with the program ...I think of academic programs, the LSU program has taken foreign grads.

of the lot, maybe ENT is feasible for foreign grads, but again, these will be exceptional applicants... you now have a number of red flags 🚩 and the best you realistically could obtain is a prelim GS, though that generally is a black hole to nowhere... you would be better to try for a community IM or FM program in which you may then get a more procedure heavy fellowship... what you do in residency will have a greater impact than what happened before residency.

Ortho is exceedingly competitive even for stellar US applicants as someone mentioned, and Urology and ENT are also very very competitive even for great applicants. So not shocking here. Wait list spots in my opinion tend to be polite rejections. GS is competitive, but many stratospheres less than the others. I would not continue going down the rabbit hole here. Step 3 while useless is still necessary a required test and a way to reject applicants. If everyone is great and there is someone with a failed step that certainly makes it easier to reject. So if I were you I'd focus on something far less competitive. The match is getting more competitive each year, YOG becomes further out, step 3 can't be changed, and things are getting more not less competitive. even specialities that were not that competitive years past have gotten much more competitive now due to sheer number of applicants.

I'm going to tell you that you're not likely to match to your competitive program. Your scores are below average, you're an IMG, and you need a visa. And it sounds like you want an H1b, which I can certainly understand, but many sites will be unwilling to do so. All that said, you did get some interviews -- which really suggests that your connections carried the day. The problem is that when connections get you in the door, you often end up at the bottom of the rank list. As has been mentioned, unless you've improved your application your experience this year is likely to be worse -- and a passing low S3 score doesn't improve your app at all, it does get you ready for an H visa but you are likely to find that competitive programs, especially those in academic sites (where your connections may mean more), won't offer H visas.

You're much better off applying for Cat GS, assuming that's what you'd want if you can't have your dream specialty. You could try to get a prelim GS but that's not going to make applying to a competitive field any better -- when applications open you'll have done 2 months of rotations so the best your evals will say is "supermbrs seems like a good new intern", your funding IRP will be set at 5 years (not long enough for another specialty), and you're unlikely to have enough time to do many interviews as an intern. Then you'll be stuck trying to find a categorical GS PGY-2 spot, along with all of the other prelims.

Of course, you can still apply to your dream specialty -- the only thing it costs you is money and time. But that's your Plan B -- you need a Plan A.

You just said you interviewed at 2 and were waitlisted at a couple...but now are saying 5-10. Also, you're not "chasing a dream", you're chasing a status/image because you can't even decide if you want ENT/Uro/Ortho...unless you're using that slash for anonymity's sake (in which case, just say surgical subspecialty)

You are the one who took Step 3. You did this to yourself. You now have a failed board exam, status as a reapplicant (some programs filter out prior applicants from their pool), and another YOG to contend with. I am not sure where your inflated expectations are coming from.

That said, apply to 100s of surgical subspecialty(ies) programs, but make sure you apply to 100s of GS programs and a back up to that if you have the means to. You can say whatever you want to the GS programs and whatever you want to the specialty programs and since you're not working, you can go on unlimited interviews and likely have the funding to do so. They GS may suspect you're really applying to the surgical subspecialties based on your publication records and CV which you can't customize/change but you can't change that this time. <- That's a key point OP. Realize you can't change that for GS

I will guess you’re not a foreigner.
I'm not an IMG. I have a bad habit of being interested in things that don't concern me though so please outline the differences between an H1B visa vs. a J1 for an IMG looking to come to the US to practice a non-primary care field.

Last edited:
And it sounds like you want an H1b, which I can certainly understand, but many sites will be unwilling to do so... it does get you ready for an H visa but you are likely to find that competitive programs, especially those in academic sites (where your connections may mean more), won't offer H visas.
It’s harder to do fellowship with the h1b... and less and less offered by many programs...it’s expensive for the program and the j1 is not
The suspense is killing me. Everything I've heard as mentioned by Rokshana/NAPD says the J1 is preferable but then he/she also acknowledges he/she understands why OP wants the H1B. What is the secret to this magical H1B? Does it provide an expedited path to citizenship not offered by the J1 visa?

Edit: NVM answered my own question. J-1 to H-1B: A guide to changing your J-1 visa status
Basically the J1 is fellowship/resident friendly BUT once you get into your terminal training it's better to have the H1B because:

1.) It allows you to stay longer.
2.) It converts to a greencard easier

Makes sense.

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me. Everything I've heard as mentioned by Rokshana/NAPD says the J1 is preferable but then he/she also acknowledges he/she understands why OP wants the H1B. What is the secret to this magical H1B? Does it provide an expedited path to citizenship not offered by the J1 visa?

Edit: NVM answered my own question. J-1 to H-1B: A guide to changing your J-1 visa status
Basically the J1 is fellowship/resident friendly BUT once you get into your terminal training it's better to have the H1B because:

Makes sense.

I believe it doesn't require leaving the country for 2 years after the visa ends unless you get a waiver and work in an underserved area for at least 2 years. It also has a pathway to citizenship.

Makes sense.
You were starting to drive me up a wall, but major props to you for answering your own question, don't see that very often around here.

• Hmm
  • Sad
You were starting to drive me up a wall, but major props to you for answering your own question, don't see that very often around here.

I don't think you were the only one who felt this way. I really need to cut back on my SDN use. This happened to me for the first time yesterday.

#1.jpg

• Haha
I don't think you were the only one who felt this way. I really need to cut back on my SDN use. This happened to me for the first time yesterday.

View attachment 337788

No don't stop posting redpancreas! I like your posts. You seem like a cool dude/gal - not sure lol. I'd have a latte with you and chat about medical stuff if I met you in real life.

• Care
No don't stop posting redpancreas! I like your posts. You seem like a cool dude/gal - not sure lol. I'd have a latte with you and chat about medical stuff if I met you in real life.
Beer=fun latte

• Haha
Waaaaaat.
Champagne and Prosecco are delicious.

Good beer is pretty wonderful too.

I like Prosecco too! But I am a lightweight. :) I think we have derailed this thread though --- maybe we should go back to focus on helping OP?

• Haha