Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are you graded for clinical rotations? For us, our shelf at the end was our entire grade, basically.Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster.
Kind of in a frustrating position. I intend on pursuing IM, but during the shelf exam, anxiety really took the wheel. I completely accept the consequences and have taken steps to deal with this. The good news is that I can retake the exam; bad news is the highest grade I can get is a C despite A's on my clinical skills. I am looking for a little realistic perspective on my chances in IM at certain IM programs. Please be brutally honest! Here are the relevant CV details.
-MD student in the middle of the road southeast school
-either the 3rd/4th quintile of class
-Step 1 :230-235
-Shelves: A/B on all shelves, with fail in IM (will retake and obtain a C)
-Step 2: ?? (let's assume around 245-250)
-CV: hella posters & abstracts w/ some case reports
Schools of interest: Temple U, U of Houston, Miami, George Washington, GT, UI Chicago, Rush
I understand that all these are in cities (as that is where I am interested in going); if there are any other suggestions for academic IM programs in cities please let me know. I will also consider community programs in which I can obtain a fellowship!
Thank you
It's really impossible for us to tell you which schools will care and which won't. It is program/specialty dependent. Yes, it is better to get an A than a C, but how much it will affect you is program dependent.
FWIW, on my interviews, I was never asked about grades (ortho).
Regardless, what's done is done. Focus on improving other aspects your app moving forward to overshadow your C.
Even though the NBME is 20% of our grade, it sets a cap on the highest grade we can receive in the shelf.