This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pointmeinadirection

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I could use some serious advice.

I am a D2 student in dental school and have recently failed my NBDE Part 1 with a score of 72. I think the main issue was that I had very poor time management skills and ended up taking much longer in the sessions than I should have. I am a little lost on what happens now. So ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. What happens if i retake it and pass? I am interested in doing a GPR - do they only see that I passed the NBDE or do they see that i took it twice?
2. If GPR's do see that I failed the first time, how much do they care about this? I have a cumulative GPA of 3.64, and as of first year I was ranked 26th in my class (might go down this year, not too sure have to wait until the end of the year to find out). I am on the e-board for my class and hold positions in other clubs as well. I am sure that it will be held against me, but I would just like to know by how much if anyone has any ideas?
3. If held against me, any suggestions on how to combat this early on? Should i start shadowing at certain hospitals or reach out to certain residents in the programs I am interested in?
4. How do you study for this?? Clearly my time management was a problem but I also struggled a lot with the lymphatics and microbio. I only used Dental Decks and a little of the First Aid Book. I took the 4 practice tests and they were significantly easier and repetitive that they didn't really help me.

It is january, and I am thinking of taking it late March and am currently studying during my semester so I have a little more time.
I know this is a lot, but if anyone has answers to any of these questions I could really use the help! Kind of freaking out :/

Members don't see this ad.

I am a D2 student in dental school and have recently failed my NBDE Part 1 with a score of 72. I think the main issue was that I had very poor time management skills and ended up taking much longer in the sessions than I should have. I am a little lost on what happens now. So ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. What happens if i retake it and pass? I am interested in doing a GPR - do they only see that I passed the NBDE or do they see that i took it twice?
2. If GPR's do see that I failed the first time, how much do they care about this? I have a cumulative GPA of 3.64, and as of first year I was ranked 26th in my class (might go down this year, not too sure have to wait until the end of the year to find out). I am on the e-board for my class and hold positions in other clubs as well. I am sure that it will be held against me, but I would just like to know by how much if anyone has any ideas?
3. If held against me, any suggestions on how to combat this early on? Should i start shadowing at certain hospitals or reach out to certain residents in the programs I am interested in?
4. How do you study for this?? Clearly my time management was a problem but I also struggled a lot with the lymphatics and microbio. I only used Dental Decks and a little of the First Aid Book. I took the 4 practice tests and they were significantly easier and repetitive that they didn't really help me.

It is january, and I am thinking of taking it late March and am currently studying during my semester so I have a little more time.
I know this is a lot, but if anyone has answers to any of these questions I could really use the help! Kind of freaking out :/

You'll probably have better posting this in the Dental and Dental Residents boards

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my score yesterday and i passed. I really don’t know how you ran out of time, I felt that 400 questions and 7 hours was plenty of time. I had over 1 hour left over in both sections. ( started my exam around 8am, used most of my breaks and lunch and finished around 1pm).

Aside from that, dental decks was too lengthy for me. I only did the NBDE Mastery app, I got the premium package with 1200 questions and I answered all the questions, took screen shots of the explanations I wanted. I redid all the questions I got wrong on the app. I opened up first aid only for sections I had trouble with or needed a reference. I did not touch dental decks at all, I wanted to but I didn’t have time. I watched YouTube videos on some of the microbiology and all of the dental anatomy and occlusion. Go to YouTube and look up “pass the nbde”.

I finished finals (D2 Fall) December 12th. Took a week off and started studying fresh in December 18th. I tested on Janurary 4th and just got my results yesterday Janirary 18th.

GPR and AEGD programs don't care if you failed as long as you pass. The other more competitive residencies will hold you more accountable to passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a huge fan of decks. I used first aid a bit (for sections I didn't understand), mastery app (I screenshotted things I wasn't confident on, went back and studied them then redid the questions I was struggling with), my course notes, lots of youtube videos ("Pass the Dental Boards" is a godsend), and ASDA released Q's. I think it's Kaplan that also has Testlets similar to what's on the actual exam. There are some sources that allow you to do practice test under timed settings, if you're finding time management is your biggest issue I would try that so you can get more comfortable with how long you can spend on each section. I know everyone takes different amount of time to test, but I really found the time allotted was more than adequate so maybe that's where you should start.

hi,

does anyone know what is the pass % for NBDE PART I from the totally number of students applying for it?

I took my NBDE part I 3 days ago
I am sure i got 270 quiestion write but I am stressed now after reading some of the post

Do you know any who took the exam in june and passed by answring 270 quiestion??

I second the suggestion on focusing on the app. I used the app and first aid primarily, but I also went through the decks twice. I feel like the decks were overly-detailed on some subjects and minimal on others. The app was pretty targeted and golden but it was a bit superficial. Definitely do some released exams as practice too.