Failed PE twice, seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogert

Grumpy Gorilla
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year student with applications out for psychiatry/child psych.

Level 1: 453
Level 2: 473
Roughly 2 years worth of previous experience in psych hospitals and social work with kids
Applied to 86 programs, 0 interviews though Ive heard psych interviews go later

Just found out I failed the PE again on Tuesday. Really unsure of how I should proceed from here. I want to just take it again ASAP so I'll know if I don't even get to graduate and not have to think about this anymore. I could take a prep course but due to my current rotation schedule I might not be able to retake until next year. I know my odds are tanked but giving up with half a million in debt doesn't really seem like an option. Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What did you adminstration say? I would talk to them immediately for guidance. You probably aren't the first person this has happened to. Which part did you fail? Bio or humanistic? And did you fail the same part twice? What do you think went wrong? What did you do to prepare for the first time, and what did you do in between the first and second attempt?

Have you received interview invites? If so, I would keep those and they'll probably bring it up. Nothing you can say or do but be honest if they bring it up. But I would certainly have a firm strategy on how to pass the third time. And probably sign up ASAP for a date that will give you a score prior to rank list submission, since many programs won't rank you if your application is incomplete.

Sorry this has happened to you, but you've got to dig deep and figure out what went wrong. 1x failure could be the system screwing you over, but 2x failure you have to really think about what went wrong. Good luck!

I would also widen your specialty you are applying too. It’s more money I know but psych has just gotten more competitive in the last few years. Have a backup specialty and apply to it

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you adminstration say? I would talk to them immediately for guidance. You probably aren't the first person this has happened to. Which part did you fail? Bio or humanistic? And did you fail the same part twice? What do you think went wrong? What did you do to prepare for the first time, and what did you do in between the first and second attempt?

Have you received interview invites? If so, I would keep those and they'll probably bring it up. Nothing you can say or do but be honest if they bring it up. But I would certainly have a firm strategy on how to pass the third time. And probably sign up ASAP for a date that will give you a score prior to rank list submission, since many programs won't rank you if your application is incomplete.

Sorry this has happened to you, but you've got to dig deep and figure out what went wrong. 1x failure could be the system screwing you over, but 2x failure you have to really think about what went wrong. Good luck!

My administration hasn't said anything which is part of the reason Im reaching out to the void of the Internet for advice.

The first time I failed the soap note, so I studied up with PE study book and those popular study videos I cant remember the name of (Kaufman sounds familiar?). The second time was humanistic. I aced it the first time but somehow failed the last time despite only adding things I got from the study videos. I have a lot of anger regarding the test. A lot of it is that I dont know what went wrong. Something that was right the first time is wrong the second so I have no idea what's right and the whole thing feels hopeless.

Reactions: 1 user
My administration hasn't said anything which is part of the reason Im reaching out to the void of the Internet for advice.

The first time I failed the soap note, so I studied up with PE study book and those popular study videos I cant remember the name of (Kaufman sounds familiar?). The second time was humanistic. I aced it the first time but somehow failed the last time despite only adding things I got from the study videos. I have a lot of anger regarding the test. A lot of it is that I dont know what went wrong. Something that was right the first time is wrong the second so I have no idea what's right and the whole thing feels hopeless.

Reach out to your school. I don't know why they haven't said something yet, but just as youre reaching out here, reach out to them as well.

I'm just a dude on the internet, so this may not be much coming form me but I do offer my deepest sympathies. I'm rooting for you.

The PE is non-sense. You've got years of clinical experience under your belt and are being told by some ancient shadow organization that you're aren't good enough? Bull. You've got what it takes.

Fur sure, don't give up. Sign up, knock it out.

Reactions: 2 users

Like the poster above said, I would definitely reach out to your school ASAP. They might not automatically know that you failed but unfortunately the responsibility is yours now to let them know and to seek help from them.

Kauffman videos are gold, maybe there was a possibility you focused too much on getting the notes done that you missed out on some of the empathy points. Either way, what's done is done. Did you have any problems with timing? Did you summarize your plan and visits with your patients?

It's hard to know what wrong and that's part of the terrible-ness of your situation. I'm sorry you're going through this but I'd sign up for a date in the meantime before all the dates that would give you a score before ranking list submissions are gone.

Sorry to hear about your PE issues. I would use these videos and practice with a friend. You will pass and do well. Practice will help with confidence on test day. Good luck!

4th year student with applications out for psychiatry/child psych.

Level 1: 453
Level 2: 473
Roughly 2 years worth of previous experience in psych hospitals and social work with kids
Applied to 86 programs, 0 interviews though Ive heard psych interviews go later

Just found out I failed the PE again on Tuesday. Really unsure of how I should proceed from here. I want to just take it again ASAP so I'll know if I don't even get to graduate and not have to think about this anymore. I could take a prep course but due to my current rotation schedule I might not be able to retake until next year. I know my odds are tanked but giving up with half a million in debt doesn't really seem like an option. Please advise.

I’m going to say this out of love, I hope you also applied to some family programs since this debacle. Psych doesn’t seem to be going out late this year, and if you don’t have at least a few now I’d be concerned.
Good luck with the retake and I hope you heard back from your school with some guidance.

Reactions: 1 user

Its time for the west virginia course. Once you failed twice you need the pros not just the internet and your school. Too much on the line. And yes, you need a backup app. 10 apps to family med cost only $99, money well spent if you hadn't already.

I hope you do well and pass the PE....its just a nonsense expensive test. But third time, I would not take it lightly... keep practicing with friends. You will make it out...Talk to your peers/school admins.

Your priority is to pass the PE more than the apps for residency.. You wont be able to get into a residency if you dont pass med school.